PDA

View Full Version : How to handle Ice/Snow inside the wheel rim

XC-Fan
02-20-2005, 02:35 PM
hi, does anybody knows a trick to prevent or to solve the driving characteristics (like driving on a bumpy road), caused from melted and then frozen snow inside the rim? I have added a pic to show my XC wheels from that angle ...

Regards - Torsten (the XC-Fan and not driving in Alaska, but in a German winter ;-)

Art
02-20-2005, 03:23 PM
The only device that I can think of are the dirt deflectors, although, judging by your extreme winter off roading pics, I’m uncertain if they would be of any benefit to you. ;)

http://xc70.com/iB_html/uploads/post-1-03351-Dirt_Deflector.JPG

eraas
02-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I assume this kind of thing would cause wheel vibration at speed?

I've been driving a lot in snowy, slushy weather and had huge deposits of crud in my wheels. Some of it was just compressed salt and dirt left over from when the snow melted. I washed the wheels out as well as possible but am still getting a vibration above 110km/hr like one of the wheels is not balanced. I am on a road trip right now but will have dealer check it out next week.

XC-Fan
02-20-2005, 11:54 PM
@eraas = thatīs what I ment (Wheel vibration over 100km/h)! My dealer just cleaned the rims and checked the balance of all 4 wheels. His statement was, that Ice/Snow will go away with the time (but not at this temperature - my car is not inside a garage over night) - but frozen dirt will stay there for much longer (even with higher degrees).

Regards
Torsten - the XC-Fan (and actually itīs -4°C outside in Germany)

theo
02-21-2005, 04:52 AM
Clean your wheels, spray the rim with a teflon spray and snow@dirt won't stick to it.

To clean the wheels you can use a window defrost spray...

philosophicaldreamer
02-21-2005, 07:43 AM
hi, does anybody knows a trick to prevent or to solve the driving characteristics (like driving on a bumpy road), caused from melted and then frozen snow inside the rim? I have added a pic to show my XC wheels from that angle ...

Regards - Torsten (the XC-Fan and not driving in Alaska, but in a German winter ;-)

I would have thought that even in low temperatures wheels get hot when they are working and consequently melt the snow and ice that is settled on them. Guess not . . . :confused:

Ta-ta, janusz