PDA

View Full Version : So when do the new volvoXC.com decals arrive?

PlaysWithCars
02-16-2005, 06:48 PM
"Please Note: As of September 25, 2004 our decals are now SOLD OUT. We'll be back with a brand new design soon... stay in touch!"

I'm not a big decal guy, but the pictures of the current design look discreete enough for my tastes on a street car. Any news on the replacement, either in design changes or availability date? Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

AWD*V70XC
02-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Any news on the replacement, either in design changes or availability date? Inquiring minds want to know... ;)
I second that, with the possibility of a new car in the coming months, I want to adorn it with some new decals as well. :D

Dr Fonta
02-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Me too!!!!!

coastal
02-17-2005, 03:43 PM
:o

I've been meaning to get to the new design, thanks for reminding me and sorry for the delay. It will probably be quite similar to the original outlined design but with the new typeface.

Or perhaps while we're at it, any have a suggestion on improving it? :)

AWD*V70XC
02-17-2005, 04:48 PM
:o

I've been meaning to get to the new design, thanks for reminding me and sorry for the delay. It will probably be quite similar to the original outlined design but with the new typeface.

Or perhaps while we're at it, any have a suggestion on improving it? :)

A new typeface, WOW that would be cooool you could even make it fluorescent so that it 'lit up' in the dark.

Improving it? - There was nothing wrong with the old one, really cool, I love the fact it never had the www on it, what a way to promote your website volvoXC.com - simple

Art
02-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Improving it? - There was nothing wrong with the old one, really cool, I love the fact it never had the www on it, what a way to promote your website volvoXC.com - simple

Speaking of which, I still have a couple of the 1st gen decals for anyone wishing to have something temporarily occupy that special spot on their XC until the new versions are released. FOC to the first two who reply to this post. :)

Any takers?

birddog
02-17-2005, 05:33 PM
That would be cool Art! I could put one on my kayak when it arrives! :D :D

Dr Fonta
02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Speaking of which, I still have a couple of the 1st gen decals for anyone wishing to have something temporarily occupy that special spot on their XC until the new versions are released. FOC to the first two who reply to this post. :)

Any takers?

I'd love to have one!

Thanks

Art
02-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Consider it a done deal guys! :D

CrazyTiger
02-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Am I too late....?? :(

Art
02-18-2005, 02:40 AM
Sorry CT...hope you don’t mind waiting a bit longer for the next issue. :(

Dr Fonta
03-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Here's where I put it. I know it's in the same spot as most others, but that's really where it looks good to me! Thanks again Art!

AWD*V70XC
04-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Just for the record, the RAC described here is the Royal Automobile Club in the UK. Some intersting comments mentioned and some reasons given for not having certain decals on your car.

Pull up to the Bumper – The Ten Lost Tribes of the Road

Car stickers are automotive tattoos that can give an insight into their owner’s personality claims the RAC Foundation today (7 April). Last year, millions of UK drivers bought bumper or car window stickers – a motoring trend fashionable in the 70’s and now undergoing a resurgence thanks to its popularity on the other side of the Atlantic. But some stickers are such a statement they can be a road safety hazard, cost the owner up to £1000 in fines, damage the car’s re-sale value, possibly put the driver at risk of aggressive behaviour and make his vehicle a target for vandalism.

According to a report from the RAC Foundation, what you say on your car may speak volumes about you, your allegiances and the type of car you are most likely to own. “The car sticker is a badge of belonging,” said Edmund King, executive director of the RAC Foundation, “ It clearly distinguishes the tribe with which its owner identifies. Drivers who personalise their cars with stickers are giving away much more about their character than they think.”

What tribe do you belong to? The Foundation has classified the ten lost tribes of the road:

1. Happy Family Tribe. Sticker will say: “Baby/Small person on Board”. Chosen by drivers who may be insecure in other arenas of their life but are reassured of their self worth by announcing their fertility to the world. They hope that other motorists will drive more deferentially in their presence because of their parental status. Likely to be seen on Fiat Multiplas and small people carriers.

2. Eco-Warrior Tribe. Sticker will say: “Save the planet”; “Save the whale”; “Extinct is forever ” or - if the driver is over a certain age: the CND logo or “Nuclear Power? No Thanks”. Usually chosen by middle aged, middle class individuals, often bearded, who talk about green issues quite a lot at dinner parties but actually drive elderly VW Transporters or Peugeot 405 estates (petrol not diesel) that are frequently gross polluters.

3. NIMBY tribe - Sticker will say: “Save our village school”; “ Idyllic-on-Sea opposes traveller site” or “Stop the by pass”. Most likely to be a desperate housewife married to an aspiring young executive who works away a lot - living in semi-rural, semi-detached, commuter land. She probably spends a lot of time at coffee mornings, PTA meetings and fundraisers fending off boredom till the kids and hubby return. Likely to be seen on an older Saab, Volvo or Rover.

4. The Dreamer Tribe. Sticker will say: “I’d rather be surfing/biking/hiking/skiing”… or, in fact, anything rather than its driver’s day job, which is, of course, accountancy. These motorists are escapists who like others to think they are healthy, lantern jawed, outdoorsy types. Actually, they are often chin-less, muscle-less introverts who spend inordinate amounts of time thinking about doing these activities while driving their VW Beetles, Citroens or Renaults (quite a lot) but practice them very little.

5. The God Squad Tribe. Stickers may be the Christian fish logo; “Love your enemies” or a quote from a religious text. These people consider that they have friends in high places. Consequently they often drive badly, knowing that they will be protected - but they feel superior because they are spreading the word to thousands of uninitiated commuters daily. Their “Godmobile” is likely to be a Vauxhall Omega.

6. The Martyred Parents Tribe. Sticker reads: “Mum’s Taxi” or “Dad’s Chauffeur Service” These parents enjoy making their children feel guilty about being driven around but secretly love every minute because it makes them feel wanted. The “taxi” is likely to be a Kia Sedona.

7. The Sportsmen Tribe. The sticker declares an affiliation to a sporting club or activity - anything from football to fencing. The driver will be young, male and, if the sticker also tells how practitioners of his sport “do it” i.e. “Surfers do it standing up”, he most probably drinks prodigious amounts of beer which renders him incapable of doing it at all. Drives a Golf Gti or Skoda Octavia.

8. The Political Animal Tribe. Sticker identifies the driver as a supporter of a particular political party. These drivers are usually so vague about the actual policies of their chosen party, however, that they normally concentrate on attacking the opposition. These proliferate in the run-up to a general election - so the roads will soon be awash with political slogans. Likely to be spotted on the cars of young, earnest, political wannabe’s who wannabe taken seriously and fancy themselves as intellectuals. Labour supporters will drive an Audi A3; Tories - a Land Rover Discovery and Lib Dems - a Nissan Micra or Smart Car.

9. The Country Set Tribe. Stickers will promote rural past- times – huntin’/ shootin’/ fishin’ and animal activities. Likely to be land owning, or wish they were, horse and dog owning, or wish they were, and hearty. Most likely to be seen on a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport.

10. The Joker Tribe. Stickers will be “humorous” but either totally unfunny, or may produce a momentary flicker of amusement – rather like a Christmas cracker - which diminishes each time you spot it. Stickers feature such humour as: “If you can read this, I've lost my trailer”; “Women are natural leaders – you are following one now” or “Hedgehogs, nature’s very own traffic humps”. The drivers who sport these stickers are usually dull individuals who think they are witty and probably also wear novelty ties to demonstrate their “whacky” personalities - many still have an out of date red nose on their car as well. Most likely to drive a Mondeo saloon or Ford Fiesta.

The most common stickers of all, however, are dealer stickers. According to the RAC Foundation, drivers have absolutely no obligation to keep these on. Motorists should consider how much free advertising they are actually giving the dealership by their tacit acceptance of becoming a moving billboard.
Conrad King, consultant psychologist to the RAC Foundation said:
“Although the make and model of a car can give an indication of some of a driver’s attitudes and beliefs, many use stickers as a way of preaching those beliefs at others. “If someone belongs to a distinct tribe, they need to convey information so that they can attract other tribe members. Stickers can act as a sort of automotive tattoo that tells people just what their values, attitudes and beliefs might be” “Young drivers who can’t afford expensive cars often now identify themselves with cheaper exterior car modification - automotive plastic surgery - and stickers.

“The market is now also flooded with private, cherished and novelty number plates which act as different types of automotive sticker. A private plate whose letters depict your name, occupation or home town is really no different to the Wayne and Sharon windscreen stickers from the 1970s.”

Edmund King added:
“ While the UK bumper scene has yet to reach the exalted state of wit, repartee, insult, social comment and polemic of slogans seen on US roads – it’s a growing trend. “There are legal and safety implications to consider, however”.

The RAC Foundation has compiled the following guide to sticking to the rules:

Although one or two stickers are essentially harmless, covering your back or side windows with lots of them can constitute an offence under The Road Vehicles [Construction and Use] Regulations, carrying a potential maximum fine of £1000.
Many "Baby on Board" placards, sucker attached cats and cuddly toys hanging in windows of vehicles which were spotted in the RAC Foundation’s survey were positioned in the middle of the rear windscreen or directly in the driver's field of vision via the mirror. This could have fatal consequences as it might mean the difference between spotting a motorcycle about to overtake or not.
Some of these signs in side windows can also create additional blind spots making overtaking hazardous and curtailing the ability of the driver to spot an approaching cyclist before he exits his parked car.
Drivers should be aware that they could also affect the re-sale value or appeal of their car. These stickers can be really hard to remove, and a potential buyer may not agree with your politics, humour or tribal allegiance.
Some extreme opinions can provoke aggressive driving and even road rage from other motorists who disagree vehemently with your views and allegiances.
Particularly provocative sentiments, radical beliefs or even support for an opposition football team expressed on a car sticker may leave your vehicle likely to vandalism when parked.
“Whatever tribe you belong to - remember a sticker is for life rather than just for Christmas,” concluded King.

Art
04-08-2005, 11:53 AM
’Drivers who personalise their cars with stickers are giving away much more about their character than they think.”

Other than announcing that we belong to a community of XC enthusiasts, I would have to say that the website decals reflect nothing more than that.

Speaking of which, expect to see a couple of new designs in the following week. :)

John@CdnRockies
04-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Well Art, your fine handwork does announce that we are proud Volvo owners. Surely that must count for some bonus points!:)

Had to laugh when I looked at item #4 as it described this "dreamer" of both skiing and sailing. I have reasonably discrete Jeep license plates with the "I'd rather" moniker which get switched as the appropriate season approaches. Must also confess to wasting a good chunk of time thinking about participation instead of actually being out there.:o

Which reminds me, guess it's time to get the sailing plate out again. Thanks for the reminder Cameron!

John

MD-Daddy
04-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Speaking of which, expect to see a couple of new designs in the following week. :)

Our "Tribe" is proudly displayed on both rear windows of our XC. Art shipped them out literally as we raced to the airport for our flight to Sweden. Ours is a routine reminder of not only for which Tribe we belong, but also of the enjoyment we had taking delivery and cruising around Sweden.

I am sorry to say that in the DC/MD area I've only seen one car with our Tribes markings... our own. I've seen, and tagged I might add, many XC's but only seen our markings on our car. Either I am too cautious of a driver to divert my attention to passing cars or the area is a ripe market for our Tribe to flurish. HEY DC/MD/NoVA... start tagging some future Tribemen/women. :-)

MDD

Raynald
04-09-2005, 07:38 PM
I still have an "old" decal left in case of unintentional winter scraping. I think it's becoming a rare collectable... Humm, maybe I should put it on auction on eBay. :D