PDA

View Full Version : 30,000 mile checkup

XCMark
02-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Tried a search for this but couldn't find anything, so just wanted to share my experience. I go to a Volvo-only (Sweden's Pride) garage and the guys there are very thorough, knowledgable and friendly.

First of all, I was shocked at how expensive this tune/checkup is ($710US for parts, labor, tax)! A comprehensive list of things were performed including changing out all the filters (air, fuel, oil, cabin), complete engine and tranny cleaning and fluid replacement (BG 44K, BG trans. kit, synthetic trans.) among other checks.

Also said that at next oil change, it will be time to get new front brake pads and tires. Whoa! That will make the Pirellis lasting LESS THAN 40K?? That doesn't seem right. However, I know how popular the Nokians are in these forums so will look into those. My tech suggests the Goodyear Eagle LS, but don't think I will go there.

Anyone else had their 30K checkup yet? That expensive? Denver has a pretty high tax rate but still... $382 of that was labor.

Bob said the car is in pristine shape and looks "surprisingly better than most other cars with less miles" throughout. Is that our easy driving or Volvo just being a better car bumper to bumper? I know that answer! :)

gibbons
02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
BG 44K is pretty aggresive stuff, I think they recommend changing your engine oil after running a can through. At the same time it is breaking down varnishes and crud on your injectors, it is breaking down the oil. I occasionally use it on my cars, always one tank of gas before the oil change.

I just did my 15K and thought all my software was up to date. However, they ran a check, and 9 of 13 processors got a download. It does drive differently now, I like it. It seems like the power comes on sooner in the pedal travel, and it seems like the transmission doesn't try to "pull" as long in a higher gear when it actually should be down shifting. But those downloads come from a dealer.

AWD*V70XC
02-12-2005, 05:01 PM
When I go to the garage now, I stand for no more nonsense from these get rich boys. I ask them to tell me what is wrong with my car :D what needs to be done now ;) and what can wait until tomorrow :rolleyes:

Having this attitude with them has got a very good rapore going and they will always check with me if anything is urgent. For their time and trouble I sometimes authorise them to go ahead with some work straight away and other times I ask them to wait.

Servicing is expensive and parts are fairly cheap, unless you have a big problem. The main point is to convey to them in nice terms that you are not made of money and sometimes the corrective action can be taken another day, which leaves you time to find a local mechanic who might be able to do the job at a cheaper rate. Unless you have a full warranty on your car and parts let them know who is the boss. :cool:

littlewaywelt
02-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Tried a search for this but couldn't find anything, so just wanted to share my experience. I go to a Volvo-only (Sweden's Pride) garage and the guys there are very thorough, knowledgable and friendly.

First of all, I was shocked at how expensive this tune/checkup is ($710US for parts, labor, tax)! A comprehensive list of things were performed including changing out all the filters (air, fuel, oil, cabin), complete engine and tranny cleaning and fluid replacement (BG 44K, BG trans. kit, synthetic trans.) among other checks.

Also said that at next oil change, it will be time to get new front brake pads and tires. Whoa! That will make the Pirellis lasting LESS THAN 40K?? That doesn't seem right. However, I know how popular the Nokians are in these forums so will look into those. My tech suggests the Goodyear Eagle LS, but don't think I will go there.

Anyone else had their 30K checkup yet? That expensive? Denver has a pretty high tax rate but still... $382 of that was labor.

Bob said the car is in pristine shape and looks "surprisingly better than most other cars with less miles" throughout. Is that our easy driving or Volvo just being a better car bumper to bumper? I know that answer! :)

That sounds about right. We spent a little less than 600 for our 30k service and re the tires we got just over 30k miles out of two sets of Scorpions.

SYS
02-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Doesn't Volvo provide free Factory Scheduled Maintenance up to 36,000 miles or three years to compliment its 4 years or 50,000 miles warranty? Or is the coverage good only for 2005 models and not with older models????

v70+xc70
02-14-2005, 01:19 PM
free service from 04 onwards.
our 03 is going in for 30 k next month.
What does Volvo actually require to be done at the 30k service? Is there an on line source that I can print out and go through?
I'd reject any labor and fluid charge for stuff I didn't request or not needed per Volvo service schedule eg BG44, Synthetic oils, tranny flush. BG 44 is rarely needed unless there is an actual problem.
$382 for labor we're at $80 per hour here so 4.5 hours or so at our rates

littlewaywelt
02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Is there an on line source that I can print out and go through?
It's also in your manual/owner's books.
http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/Owners/Library.htm

v70+xc70
02-14-2005, 04:18 PM
It's also in your manual/owner's books.
http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/Owners/Library.htm

Thanks. She drives it I just get behind the wheel went its time to take it in for a service. :(

XCMark
02-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Before I took it in, I checked the manual for what was to be done at 30K, and my mechanic went through everything on the list when i picked up. I was prepared to pepper him with this list of items, but he did it when I picked up the car and I felt good he knew what was expected.

I'm just disappointed the Scorpians don't last longer. That's another hefty expense.

gibbons
02-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm just disappointed the Scorpians don't last longer. That's another hefty expense.

Yeah, but now you have the chance to get a nicer car, just by replacing the tires. My Scorpions lasted 1200 miles before they got the boot. :)

littlewaywelt
02-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks. She drives it I just get behind the wheel went its time to take it in for a service. :(
That's pretty much my story too since I commute via bike and the 01V70XC will be going away in the next few weeks.

Low Tide
03-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Okay dokey... how about some comments... here's my breakdown FYI.

Last Friday the 30K was completed (at 33.5K)
...and the damage... choke... was $552

That's ME providing the Mobil One and with a 10% parts discount for VCOA. LR= $91hr. NO LOANERS! (Cheap-O)

This was my first service at the "new to me" local dealer in Ventura.

I do have a few err... questions about fair prices in 1,2,3! The service guys were ready to roll out and pointed me to "pay the cashier" and ask questions "later" if I had any....

1) Fuel Additive #208 = $19.95 (Why and what the hell did they add?)
2) Wheel weights = $8!
3) Brake fluid = $31!!

Comparison market prices for:

Air Filter: $30.55
Pollen: $26.90
Plugs: $44.73

LT