PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading/Reprogramming Keyless Entry

MB/Volvo Owner
02-12-2005, 08:47 AM
We currently have an '03 XC70 and dislike the 2003 remote and would like to upgrade to the 2004+ switchblade style keyless entry fob. Is it possible for these remotes to be programmed to a 2003 car?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lowell

AWD*V70XC
02-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I can't see it being a problem, as all that will be needed is a Vadis programing, done by your dealer. If you are unsure ring your local dealer and ask them the question, 03 & 04 cars are not that different.

Dr Fonta
02-12-2005, 06:12 PM
I don't know if it is possible to get one, but when I bought my 01 last year, the service rep had one of the new switchblade type in his hand. I commented that I liked it, and wished I had one for mine, and he replied "no you don't. These things break all the time." I guess it's real easy for the fobs to snap apart...

MB/Volvo Owner
02-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the information guys. In regards to getting the remote, they are readily available on Ebay...I just didn't want to make the plunge and purchase the remote without knowing if it can be done.

Thanks again.

littlewaywelt
02-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the information guys. In regards to getting the remote, they are readily available on Ebay...I just didn't want to make the plunge and purchase the remote without knowing if it can be done.

Thanks again.
I have both and prefer the regular key to the switchblade style. The switchblade style does seem flimsy and it constantly pops off the key chain due to a poorly designed metal loop.

Be very careful purchasing them on ebay. If they don't come with the original packaging which has the bar coding, the dealer will be unable to reprogram them. Plan on $100+ to reprogram the key fobs. In the end you won't save much by doing it on ebay and risk ending up with remotes you can't use.

AWD*V70XC
02-14-2005, 08:01 AM
I would not but this sort of thing of the likes of e-bay or any other internet site. I think this sort of sale should be stopped and if not by the internet organisation running the show, then the buyers should not even entertain the seller even for the price of a stamp.

In practice, would you but a new windshield from e-bay for $50 still in its original box, never opened? NO you would not, because you will have to spend more getting a pro to fit the god damn thing and what sort of warranty will you get with it, will it leak? has it been installed too tight and you risk it 'snapping' if it is not placed correctly in the frame.

Anyway don't we all have key cover with our house hold insurance, surely it would be better to claim a new key from your policy holder who inturn will buy the correct key from a main Volvo dealer, simple...isn't it :D

bob
02-15-2005, 12:09 AM
You can program the switchblade key to your car. You will have to get the remote, and order a precoded key. Then there are 2 software downloads to program. 1 for the remote, and 1 for the security chip in the key.

chopper_harris_uk
02-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Folks

For many months, I despaired of the switchblade keyfob. Every time you dropped the keys, the nasty little metal loop fell from the fob body.

At the first service, I went to my supplying dealer to complain, only to find that there is a factory mod (whihc they don't advertise). Just go in and tell them you want a pair of revised keyfobs - they do it in 30 mins, and it hasn't fallen off in nearly 9 months of rigorous family use.

river1
02-22-2007, 02:59 PM
You can program the switchblade key to your car. You will have to get the remote, and order a precoded key. Then there are 2 software downloads to program. 1 for the remote, and 1 for the security chip in the key.

can anyone advise as to part number - the 2003 parts listing doesn't have the flip key available so I need a 2004 part that should fit.

thanks.