PDA

View Full Version : 2001 v70xc question

Kim
02-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum--I just stumbled upon it while looking for some information on the 2001 xc. I recently purchased this model used. The car has 58,000 miles on it and is still under the volvo 7 year 100,000 mile warrenty. I absolutly love the car--everything about it. The only problem I noticed is that when I come to a stop with my foot on the break the engine slightly idles down. Then when it's time to take off it hesitates a bit when I accelerate. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? I've been reading some of the posts about the 2001 models and I'm am getting a bit concerned. I was unaware of these issues before I purchased the car but I got a good deal and, like I said, I love the car. So, I'm hoping it is something that can be easily resolved. Oh, and I noticed mention of manufacture date being an important aspect of these issues. How do I find out when my car was manufactured?
Thank you.
Kim

nwxc70
02-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Kim,

I bought my '01 V70xc about two years ago, and have had issues like yours that whole time. Just last night, I got mine back from the dealer where I'd complained again about this phenomenon. They looked into it once before and flushed the transmission and that seemed to help, but, the symptoms persisted and I asked about it again this week.

There is a TNN 43-38 dated 6/11/2004 which addresses and solves this problem. Your transmission should accept the software upgrade this notice references. I have been driving around today and LOVE the fix. No more idle speed changes while sitting at the light and no more hesitation before a "clunk" into first gear when I release the brake.

I'm attaching the notice for your reference. Good luck!

Kim
02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Thank you for your response--sounds like exactly what I'm dealing with.
Unfortunatly, I was unable to open the attachment you sent. Is there any other way for me to get this document?
Thanks again,
Kim

AWD*V70XC
02-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Kim, first of all welcome to the site and what a good question from a new owner. As I am sure you have read on other posts, the car's history is worth it's weight in gold. If a used car has been looked after, and by that I mean it has been into the Volvo dealership regularly it will have had certain 'fixes' applied to its onboard computer. The software updates can only be done by a Volvo dealership (due to the cost of owning such machinery) and not by another regular dealer or one man band outfits (in most cases). The cars' brain/computer/software application is called VADIS, it holds all changes applicable to your car and will correct them if needed.

If your car has a good Volvo history this might have already been done in which case you need to explain to your garage the problems you are still having after the software updates seem to have done little to sort it out. I think though a visit to the dealer will sort this and other problems out.

Don't forget your car will probably require a new warranty fan, for which there is a recall program on at the moment for. You should not have to do anything as they know all the cars that have to be recalled, but maybe they have lost track of where they are, had mine done today and there is no charge for it.

Kim
02-11-2005, 07:57 AM
nwxc70,
I just had to thank you again! I went to the dealer this morning with the document you provided in hand and they hooked my car up to their computer which showed that the car did not have that upgrade. They performed the upgrade and, yippie, problem solved. I have never had such a smooth experience when dealing with auto repairs.
I now know what you meant when you said you are happier with the car since the upgrade. I'm thrilled.
Well, my first experience witht this forum has been truely helpful. I'm sure I'll be visiting often.
Take care,
Kim

texascanuk
02-13-2005, 08:45 AM
This is exactly the problem that prevented me from buying my used XC70 from the dealers selection. The car we drove sort of lurched off from a stop when the gas was pressed (normal driving). I told them that is seemed like the transmission had something wrong with it and I was right, but I didn't know it was just a software upgrade that could fix it. Anyway, for the better because the next car we went to see, we bought and saved $5K over what the dealer was asking.

I do feel a little delay in this car too, so I'll mention this at my next visit.

Thanks, for the post.

James

XCinSpain
02-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I've been dealing with this problem for over two years and have not received any positive imputs from my dealer (my car is from sept 2000 and problem stated december 2003). I'm going tomorrow to my dealer with the Tech note (I see its from november and I haven't been back to the dealer since July '04).

zzg8q8
02-17-2005, 12:19 PM
I've experienced this also with an '01 I bought in October. Thanks for the info - I'll take it in promptly. Is this software covered under the warranty? I'm not sure if the paperwork I recieved with the car still had the warranty info with it. If not covered under warranty, how much does it cost?

Kim
02-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Jon,
I was told that the upgrade is not covered under the warranty. However, my dealer did agree to pay for it considering I just bought the car one week prior to taking it in for the upgrade. The total cost, including tax and misc. charges, came to just under $82.00. Still, well worth it to have the problem solved. I'm enjoying the car so much more now.
Good luck,
Kim

zzg8q8
02-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Jon

nwxc70
02-21-2005, 03:22 PM
My software upgrade certainly was covered under warranty. My '01 has about 46000 miles and I came in complaining about a problem with the transmission. They checked and there was an update available, so they made the upgrade under warranty. I suppose if your car is out of warranty they might try to charge you for the download.

zzg8q8
02-25-2005, 10:49 AM
I printed the service bulletin and took in to the dealer Wednesday morning. They had me set up in about an hour. The improvement in shifting is notable. Thanks for the info nwxc70!

Akasha
03-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I know this is a bit old, but I found it and I believe I have the same issue. I took my car to the dealer. They refuse the do it for free. Said they want to charge me $138. Ridiculous, being it is a defect with the car. Any suggestions of what to do now?

Thanks!
PS. They were pretty pissed that I had that service bulleting. Said it was confidential...

nwxc70
03-25-2005, 10:55 AM
They should do it for free if the car is still under warranty. If it isn't then they may have you over the proverbial barrel. If they are displeased that you know so much about your car, perhaps you should tell them you will take your business elsewhere. Part of being a Volvo owner is being informed and discerning. Otherwise you'd be driving a Kia.

Good Luck!

Akasha
03-25-2005, 03:38 PM
I just don't think I should have to pay for something that is a defect in the car. It's complete BS and I have told them that. GM would have fixed the problem without issue. Makes me really re-think owning this car.

nwxc70
03-28-2005, 06:50 AM
I don't know if it’s officially a defect. The feature was introduced to reduce torque on the drive train while stopped with the car in gear. After my 35,000 mile service when I had the transmission fluid flushed and all codes cleared (and NOT the update I got later turning this feature off) the car was fine. Slowly but surely, that "clunking" into gear when releasing the brake and moving my foot towards the accelerator returned. Volvo's fix for this was to turn off the feature, which I understand they do not have on the new V70xc's.

So, surely they should be willing to update the codes for you, as it’s cheap for them and would keep you happy and coming back for all your service. Now, you’re upset about their money grubbing and may look elsewhere for service. Tell them that!

Kim
03-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Akasha,
I understand your frustration. My service station did charge me $83.00 for the upgrade and later credited my account, only because I had just purchased the car from them a couple of weeks prior and made them aware that the symptoms occured when I bought the car. They did not have to credit me--while I'm glad they did, I have to say, the ride is so much more enjoyable now that this problem has been fixed that it would have been worth the money. I generally don't mind paying for a repair when the problem is fixed correctly the first time.
In respect to your dealer being upset at you having information about your car in advance, well that just speaks volumes about this particular dealer. I would look elsewhere for service--my service guy was impressed with my research and interest in my car, besides it saves them time when the customer is so informed. The only way I can see them having a problem with this is if they don't have you best interest at heart.
Good luck,
Kim

XC70Geo
03-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Akasha, I totally agree with Kim.
You said, it "Makes me really re-think owning this car."
IMHO you should find a good dealer. If you own a Volvo, you have an incredible good piece of engineering in hand, but you need a good support (dealer) more then ever. If you have, you will be a lucky person, if don't - it's pain in the ... .

sherwinb
04-28-2005, 02:11 PM
I am brand new to this forum and I must say what a great forum. I have to admit, after spedning a couple hours reading various threads from this site, I am very excited to have joined and feel much more at peace with my new purchase of a 2001 V70 XC.

First off, it seems I am having the hesitation issues when I resume driving from a stop. I first thought it was a low idle problem, but when I felt a bit of a kick this morning, I ruled that out. I had the same issue with my previous 93 940 turbo, but (as mentioned in this forum) It was recommended I flush the tranny oil...i guess that helped some.

I do not have a warrenty on this car, so should I just take it to my local volvo dealer and ask them to perform the software upgrade as described here? Should I expect to pay somewhere are $90 or was that a special case? Is there anything else I need to be aware prior to going in?

Well, thanks all in advance. I look forward to reading and contributing more in the near future.

nwxc70
04-28-2005, 02:15 PM
If you were out of warranty I would expect that they would charge you for the software upgrade. I will say that combined with a tranny flush, the car will shift so smooth you won't mind the fees.

rg33
12-16-2005, 09:15 AM
[2001 V70 transmission clunk neutral to first]

Wow. My wife just bought a 2001 V70 with this transmission problem, and I thought we were in for a major expense.

Your solution sounds perfect.

I've never been so excited to set up a dealer service appointment! I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks in advance,
rg

XChuck
12-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Is there anyway to know if this has been done (w/o going to the dealer)? I just bought at the beginning of Nov and there's no clunk and all is smooth but I do have occasional hesitation.

BTW, as an aside, we just got a bid dump of snow and this thing kicks my old Xterra's butt in the snow! [bigsanta]

nwxc70
12-16-2005, 12:24 PM
...the first time I went into the dealer (under warranty) they performed a complete tranny flush and said that's the first thing they do for any transmission related complaints, and that this fixes 90% of the problems reported.

In fact, this fixed mine, for a little while. Within 10,000 miles the clunking into first was back. On my second visit for this issue, they had discovered the service bulletin. Looking back, they should have had the bulletin by the time I came in the first time, but I got it right eventually and can't complain about the free tranny flush.