PDA

View Full Version : CD stopped working HU-613

HoneyPine
02-06-2005, 07:34 AM
On my 2001 V70 XC the radio HU-613 stopped playing CD's and gives an error message when a CD is entered. The car is past the warranty. Volvo wants $507 to put a rebuilt radio in. What other options should I look at? I'm in the Cleveland area.

birddog
02-06-2005, 06:52 PM
.......salvage yard radio. Or this could be an oppurtunity to upgrade! ;)

littlewaywelt
02-07-2005, 07:40 AM
.......salvage yard radio. Or this could be an oppurtunity to upgrade! ;)
Can you just pop a new radio in? Don't you need some kind of code to make it work?

birddog
02-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Can you just pop a new radio in? Don't you need some kind of code to make it work?

I think all you need is the security code from the new (other) radio. Guess I should have mentioned that when suggesting a slavage yard. Each radio has it's own specific code to reset once power has been cut from it. Things may have changed, but that's all I needed to do with my 850. :confused:

XC70Geo
02-07-2005, 11:07 PM
There were posts about the subwoofer mentioning some necessary VADIS update.
I guess, if you have a great knowledge of car electricity and hifi, you can go your own way, the other way leads to your dealer.

HoneyPine
02-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Following some other posts, I discontected the battery and pulled the climate control unit out and pull out the radio. (I did not disconnect any wires.) I removed cup holder off the radio to get a new one. (The tightening mechanism breaks easy on these.) After tapping the radio unit my Volvo Roadside assitance card fell out! I put everything back together and it works fine. The CD's play again. Thanks for the advice and help.

- Craig

birddog
02-08-2005, 04:30 PM
WOW! Good thing you gave it the "tap" and that happened. Could have gone through an unneccesary expense! :)
BTW- any idea how it got in there?......guess I'd better keep an eye on the boys! :)

wgriswold
02-08-2005, 04:37 PM
My grandchildern filled up my daughter's cd slot with spare change that was readily available in the car. It never worked again and had to be replaced. She no longer keeps change in the car.