PDA

View Full Version : Various Leaks/Service at another dealer

Dr Fonta
02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello all. Need some advice.

Recently purchased MY01 (late 01 build and service date).Certified Pre-Owned. Anyway, decided to look underneath, and noticed the plastic cover a little slick in spots. Took it off and noticed oil. Wiped it all clean and left the cover off for a week or so. Checked again, and it appeared to be leaking around oil filter cover, so I got the tool, replaced the o ring etc, (as has been mentioned on this forum in several threads). It still appears to be leaking, but I noticed that there is not even the slightest movement on the dipstick?? I wasn't too concerned and figured I'd wait until 37,500 service and get it checked out. Well, it's been about a month, oil level still good, but skid plate oily as hell. Turns out my power steering reservior is a bit low. Not exactly sure where this is leaking, but I did notice wetness around the clamp at the connection to the pump. Again i researched this forum and found out this can be a common problem. Finally, the washer fluid leaks like crazy, but only when it is being activated. My guess is at the pump, but I can't tell cause it's hard to get to. Anyway, when I spray the winshield, washer fluid literally pours out the bottom passanger side, to the rear of the wheel well. It doesn't appear to lose fluid when not being activated, as I topped it off today, with just 1 cup or so.

With all that being said, I've made arrangements to take it to Annapolis Volvo, since they are actually very much closer to me than where I bought the car, and I can have my wife leave it. Do you all think these problems should be covered under warranty? I'm still under 4yr/50K, so the CPO warranty hasn't even kicked in yet. I've heard good things about Annapolis Volvo Service, so do you all think I should worry about the fact that I didn't buy from them causing me problems with service there? I wouldn't mind taking it back to the original dealer, it's just such a drag to go down into DC, cause it's almost a whole day wasted for my wife...

Thanks all for your great help. I'm a bit frustrated right now, but I love this car. Getting ready for a cross country trip, so I need it to be reliable.

Prepo
02-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, I think that it should be covered under the original warranty. Good luck.

Dr Fonta
02-08-2005, 03:46 PM
OK..Power Steering leak solved. Just as stated in other threads here, bad clamp at hose to pump connection. Dealer stated that there was no oil leak, only power steering, so we'll keep an eye on the skid plate the next few weeks. Also, dealer stated that "washer fluid not leaking, dripping fluid is excess of headlight washer and is normal." I kind of doubt that, but this is not a real big deal, and I failed to mention before that this only happens when spraying the rear windsheild. Anyway, will have them check it again at 37,500 service.

One high positive note. Dealer did the radiator recall without my mentioning it at all! When I picked up the car, the invoice had it on there "recall 141 coolant fan". Now that's the way to take care of customers. I know it should've been done without me asking anyway, but in this day and age, it's really nice to see that. And the best part is everything was under warranty.

Bottom line is I found a pretty good service center pretty close to home. :D

birddog
02-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Lucky for you! Sounds like alot of people aren't as fortunate as us to have good service close to home.
Try to get the same tech to work on your car when you take it in. I've found that mine is very familiar with our cars, is always insightful and eager to explain or show things to me. And think about it; it's a safe assumption to say that your tech will pay more attention to a client who actually takes the time to request him and know his name, etc. than to a nameless, faceless client.