PDA

View Full Version : VolvoGal hijacks gibbons' account...

gibbons
01-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey, VolvoGal here.

I'm Gibbons' better half and I am sneaking in to give my take on what the Volvo has meant to our family (okay, that sounds a little weird, like a car's a pet or a full fledged family member!) But seriously, we love this car! Or more importantly, I love this car!

My husbnd is the car person in our clan. He's the one who maintains them, worries over them, and most importantly, loves them. I, on the other hand, have always had the mentality that a car is a means of transportation and I don't mind driving whatever vehicle corresponds with the keys that are left hanging on the rack. In fact, for years I begged him to buy me a clunker so I could park anywhere in the grocery store parking lot without worries of door dings.

Things changed however, when we got the V-car. I got sole ownership of the Volvo until we sold our Infiniti (the Infiniti remained the commuter car to save miles on the x-country), and I tell you what, those few months spoiled me. I hated giving up driving rights when the old car was sold. I only get use of the Volvo a couple of times a week now, (on travel days the truck gets driven to the airport) and those days are always a treat. I secretly wish my husband would travel more frequently so I could drive in luxury more often. Yeah, I admit driving the monster pick-up gets old.

The other day I was driving along in our Volvo and passed another cross country, white like ours. I wanted to give them the thumbs up, but I just grinned inside and thought, "Wow, that's what I look like right now, driving this beauty!" I felt like one classy gal.

The only problems I found with the car we had to remedy right away. First of all, I am a huge Bangles (all girl rock band) fan and the stereo left much to be desired in terms of good solid bass (the bass player's my favorite band member!). Of course, this dilema was of my own making since I am the one who vetoed the better stereo option in the first place. I learned my lesson and soon we bought and installed the accessory woofer component.

The other issue was the tires. Man, the tires scared me to death. I guess I was just used to the Nokian tires on the Subaru. I called gibbons one day, after slipping and sliding all over our snowy roads, and said, "These tires suck. They have got to go!" He was happy to comply. So, you can all give thanks to me for the Nokian tire craze on your board. :) Because of our Scandinavian friends, not only do I feel like a very classy gal in the Volvo, I feel like a safe one too.

Sorry for barging in on your board and for being so wordy, but I just wanted to put my two cents worth in about these fabulous cars. Man, I had no idea there was so much to say about cars. No wonder my husband can't get to the fix-it list I constantly harp on him about! :D

Happy driving,
VolvoGal

PS: Gee, you guys are skimpy on the emoticons. You need some like my Bangles board: smileys hugging, kissing, dancing, singing, & playing guitars! :p

coastal
01-28-2005, 06:09 PM
LOL, this is great. :D

Welcome to the site Mrs. Gibbons and happy to hear you're enjoying the car just as much, if not more, than the Mr!

And on that note, I've been meaning to take another look at the smilie offering here, have to admit they're somewhat limited. That said though guys, don't worry... I'm pretty sure those additions won't include kissies and huggies :D

XC70Geo
01-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Thanks Mrs Gibbons! I could not figure out how Mr. Gibbons made this good decision about Nokian tires. Now I understand.
I have changed to Nokians either. Thanks again.

Desertxc
01-29-2005, 10:24 AM
It's nice to hear from you Mrs. Gibbons, Sounds like Gibbons has a great better half. I hope you did'nt hurt him too bad for his foopa yesterday.

Again it's good to hear from the Gibbons other half and here's to Walking like an Egyptian :)

TrueBlue
01-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Methinks Mrs G should come out of the closet (hope that doesn't have unfortunate connotations over there) and do some posts on her own account.

It would add some breadth to these Fora if we had some disinterested contributions to water down "us petrolheads".

How's about it??

XCMark
01-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the input Mrs. Gibbons. If I remember correctly, there are many of us guys here who have the account on this board but it's the wife who is the primary XC driver. It's good to hear from you.

gibbons
01-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome! If I weren't pretty attached to my Bangles board and my good friends there, I'd come hang out with you guys. I waste too much time on the Internet as it is; besides, two Gibbons' would probably drive you all crazy.

XCMark said: "If I remember correctly, there are many of us guys here who have the account on this board but it's the wife who is the primary XC driver." Gee, if that's the way things work in the real world, I think I'll have to lay a claim on the car more often! :)

And to DesertXC, a big thumbs up to you! I definitely try to Walk Like an Egyptian, when I can't drive like a Scandinavian!

Coastal, I surey didn't mean to offend as far as your selection of smiley guys. I know you put in a lot of time an effort as monitor and sponsor of this board. My husband really appreciates all you do for your fellow Volvo-enthusiasts here, and I appreciate you keeping my husband happy. I'm still going to hook you up with some great new smileys though!! :D

Anyway, once again, thanks! What a fun surprise to receive such a warm response from you all!

Take care,
VolvoGal

coastal
01-29-2005, 11:37 PM
no offense taken VolvoGal and welcome once again... No harm in stopping in every once in a while :D

John@CdnRockies
01-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Do come back and bring us back to reality every now and then. Mr. Gib's keeps prattling about calipers and other engineering marvels while you return us to the joy of just owning the car.

Our rig is technically Faye's company car so I find myself beholding to the lady of the house as well. After doing the usual man-thing of looking at the Cayenne and other exotics, Faye suggested I revisit the Volvo. Darned if she wasn't right!

All the best to both of you and enjoy both of your very different posts. Now if only I could get Faye to stop looking at those German beasts ...;)

John