PDA

View Full Version : The Volvo/Phatnoise Digital Jukebox

coastal
01-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks to qeff, here's a promo PDF on the Phatnoise/Volvo Digital Jukebox... Enjoy!

http://www.xc70.com/misc/DIGITAL_JUKEBOX_GB.pdf

tooberand
01-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Sadly, but not too surprisingly, there's no m4a support which is probably how the majority of Mac owners have their music collection stored.

littlewaywelt
01-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Would anyone care to guess if the iPod Connectivity Kit will work through the car stereo the same way?

gary
01-27-2005, 01:19 PM
This thing looks pretty cool! Anyone know the price? I guess also I would have to get rid of my CD-changer (not that I would have a need for both if I got the Jukebox).

littlewaywelt
01-27-2005, 02:17 PM
This thing looks pretty cool! Anyone know the price? I guess also I would have to get rid of my CD-changer (not that I would have a need for both if I got the Jukebox).
The Audi version is $350 on ebay if that gives some idea. At the dealershiop I'd guess $450 + labor. It is very cool, but considering that one can get an iPod at that price and have portability, I wonder what the Volvo argument will be for getting the phatbox over an ipod+volvo connectivity.

funglenn
02-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Anybody know if this Jukebox will work for an 01 XC? The PDF only mentions the 2004 and 2005 radio by name.

Big
02-09-2005, 08:27 AM
This system was announced a year ago but Volvo is still not listed on the PhatNoise (http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/index.php) website as a compatible car. It's basically a removable hard drive with proprietary software, so it has some portability but is nowhere near as elegant as the iPod. Still, I was interested in it a year ago. It is available in the UK?

Shoie
02-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Looking at the PDF file, on Page 5, it says the left side is for radios up to 2004 and the right side is for radios of 2005 and on. I wonder if you need to have those specific radios in order to use the digital jukebox. So if you don't have a HU-803 for model year up to 2004, then it isn't compatible with the digital jukebox.

gary
02-11-2005, 06:34 AM
I was at the dealer in Bury St. Edmunds today and asked if there was pricing available for the jukebox. They told me no pricing yet because the product won't be available until early to mid-Summer.

Jezz
02-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Heck Gary - you should have dropped in to say hi. That's my local dealer!

AWD*V70XC
02-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Whoa - I missed this thread - but I am up to speed now.
Yes I have seen the little package and although I am not a iPod freak I have shown it little attention (hence my reason for missing this post).

It is a very neat little box and will be only available for the following cars - S60 - V70 - XC70 and the S80. It can store 10,000 songs in most digital formats including MP3, WMA and WAV. As you say it is controlled via the radio unit and also has voice interaction for selecting your own customized playlist. It comes with its own docking station/cradle for your PC and is connected via USB2, a little behind the times considering everything is moving into firewire and WIFI on the computer market place. I also believe that the new Volvo's will have USB connections built into the dash so connecting things like phones etc will be easier.

They should be in the UK dealer showrooms from May onwards.

Other accessories for this year include (so I am told) a roller blind for the rear window of both the XC70 and the XC90 (about time), a new roof box (bigger then before), a dog gate, sports mats for the XC70 and side decor panels for the XC90 in the same colour as the wheel arches.

gary
03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Heck Gary - you should have dropped in to say hi. That's my local dealer!

Hey Jezz, I'll be at the dealer tomorrow (first thing in the a.m.) - think I have a broken tie rod or something going amiss up front. Also, going to look at bike carriers and see if there is any pricing yet for that jukebox.

qeff
04-27-2005, 02:54 AM
I made my dealer check last Friday and the factory recommended price is about US$1,400!

That's a ridiculous amount to pay. If anyone has received a different price quote, please post.

gary
04-27-2005, 01:53 PM
I made my dealer check last Friday and the factory recommended price is about US$1,400!

That's a ridiculous amount to pay. If anyone has received a different price quote, please post.

Geff,

I recently had my dealer here in the UK look into pricing of the jukebox here in the UK. They quoted me 576 GBP if my car is installed with a ?Melvis? cable (I may not have that spelling or meaning correct) or 630 GBP if it doesn't have the ?Melvis? cable and they have to install one. Either way, you're still talking in the neighborhood of $1200 USD which is way too rich for my liking! These prices seem insane to me! I guess I'll cope with my 10-CD changer awhile longer.