PDA

View Full Version : Trans Service?

01-20-2005, 11:36 AM
any recommendations on when i need to have the trans serviced in the XC? it has 35,000 miles on it.

gibbons
01-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Some people, including the salesmen, think that the transmission needs no maintenance. That's true, right up until it needs repairs. However, I think that those repairs can be pushed substantially down the road with just a little help.

The transmission computer actually keeps track of operating hours and the corresponding operating temperatures. If it exceeds some limit known only to Volvo, a message will pop up in the message display. I have never heard of anyone in this forum running hard enough get to that point.

The ATF capacity is 7.5 liters. There is a method of easily dumping and refilling about 4 liters. I plan to do that every 15K miles, which is coming up shortly. That way, at least half of the bad stuff periodically comes out. "Bad stuff" is defined as worn clutch plate material, gear wear off material, etc, which makes the ATF abrasive and propagates wear futher. There is no filter inside, and the screen is impossible to access without tearing down the whole trans (so I have heard from the dealer's master tech).

By the way, Volvo is very proud of their proprietary blend ATF, it costs about $75 for 4 liters :eek:

philosophicaldreamer
01-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Some people, including the salesmen, think that the transmission needs no maintenance. That's true, right up until it needs repairs. However, I think that those repairs can be pushed substantially down the road with just a little help.

The transmission computer actually keeps track of operating hours and the corresponding operating temperatures. If it exceeds some limit known only to Volvo, a message will pop up in the message display. I have never heard of anyone in this forum running hard enough get to that point.

The ATF capacity is 7.5 liters. There is a method of easily dumping and refilling about 4 liters. I plan to do that every 15K miles, which is coming up shortly. That way, at least half of the bad stuff periodically comes out. "Bad stuff" is defined as worn clutch plate material, gear wear off material, etc, which makes the ATF abrasive and propagates wear futher. There is no filter inside, and the screen is impossible to access without tearing down the whole trans (so I have heard from the dealer's master tech).

By the way, Volvo is very proud of their proprietary blend ATF, it costs about $75 for 4 liters :eek:

I have a rather stupid question, but after reading your post I found myself somewhat confused. :confused: I know that my old V90 also has a transmission that is not supposed to be serviced. Now, because I don't believe in Volvo nonsense, :rolleyes: I have the ATF changed every 35K miles. I take my V90 to my mechanic who has some kind of machine that he hooks up to my car, and he claims that the machine pushes the old ATF out and pumps the fresh one in. As a matter of fact, I have seen both hoses connected to the radiator, I believe, and the darker stuff goes out one way and the new ATF comes in the other way. If this is true, wouldn't this mean that we should be able to replace all ATF in our tranies, provided that you have such a device? The only thing I can think of is that somehow the trany on my XC is different from the one in V90. I know that my Volvo mechanic send me to the dealer to have my trany flashed on my XC70.

I will appreciate any enlightment in this matter. :)

Ta-ta, janusz

gibbons
01-20-2005, 03:38 PM
philosophicaldreamer- It's just what I've heard and read on the VADIS documentation. Yup, you can have the transmission "power flushed". And it would probably get out more junk than this easy method. However, that's really expensive. Remember, the stuff is almost USD$20 per liter. To power flush the 7.5 Liter system, they need to first prime their pump machine with the right fluid (if they do it right), you are looking at about 10 liters. They quoted me over USD$300 to do it.

Since the shift valves are solenoid controlled, and there is no way to make the transmission shift during the service, you end up with residual old ATF in there anyway. I don't know how much. Maybe it's that 3.5 liters that don't come out using the old fashioned method :) Also, because of check valves and other internal stuff, I heard that you can't flush it "backwards", so any chunks on the screen are going to stay in there anyway.

dlr97
01-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Perhaps the correct trans fluid (or one with the same specs) is available cheaper from another source? The Aisin Warner AW-50 is also used by:

MAXIMA (NISSAN), LAGUNAII, VELSATIS, ESPACE (RENAULT), 9-5, 9-3 (SAAB), VECTRA (OPEL/VAUXHALL), LANCIA THESIS (FIAT), SATURN VUE, SATURN ION, CHEVROLET EQUINOX (GM).

Chevy, Saturn or Nissan might be the best bet in the US.

Art
01-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Volvo recommends replacing the synthetic ATF every 84,000km (52,500 miles) on vehicles used for towing. Even though we don’t use the car for this specific purpose, the dealer did a complete flush on our ‘01 at this interval anyways. I personally feel satisfied with the change interval but others may feel more comfortable replacing/replenishing the ATF much sooner. I guess that it’s always best to check the condition and color of the fluid periodically and then change at your own discretion. Dealer here charges $15.50/L Cdn. for synthetic ATF.

FWIW, here’s a link (http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.htm) to a site that explains how a typical ATF flush machine operates. :)

philosophicaldreamer
01-20-2005, 07:25 PM
philosophicaldreamer- It's just what I've heard and read on the VADIS documentation. Yup, you can have the transmission "power flushed". And it would probably get out more junk than this easy method. However, that's really expensive. Remember, the stuff is almost USD$20 per liter. To power flush the 7.5 Liter system, they need to first prime their pump machine with the right fluid (if they do it right), you are looking at about 10 liters. They quoted me over USD$300 to do it.

Since the shift valves are solenoid controlled, and there is no way to make the transmission shift during the service, you end up with residual old ATF in there anyway. I don't know how much. Maybe it's that 3.5 liters that don't come out using the old fashioned method :) Also, because of check valves and other internal stuff, I heard that you can't flush it "backwards", so any chunks on the screen are going to stay in there anyway.

Thanks for your explanation :) To have my transmission power flushed I paid $280, which sounds around what you have estimated should cost. Thanks.

Ta-ta, janusz

philosophicaldreamer
01-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Volvo recommends replacing the synthetic ATF every 84,000km (52,500 miles) on vehicles used for towing. Even though we don’t use the car for this specific purpose, the dealer did a complete flush on our ‘01 at this interval anyways. I personally feel satisfied with the change interval but others may feel more comfortable replacing/replenishing the ATF much sooner. I guess that it’s always best to check the condition and color of the fluid periodically and then change at your own discretion. Dealer here charges $15.50/L Cdn. for synthetic ATF.

FWIW, here’s a link (http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.htm) to a site that explains how a typical ATF flush machine operates. :)

Thanks for the link; it is very informative. :D

Ta-ta, janusz

rmassei2454
01-21-2005, 12:13 PM
As Far As Transmission Services: They Are Not Required By Volvo
On Any Regular Service Interval. Their Feeling Is The Fluid Should
Last About 60-75000 Miles And Is Flushed(12-15qts Depending On
Capacity) When It Becomes Burnt/or Discolored. But You Have
A Later Model Xc70 Which I Believe Comes With The New Synthetic
Based Atf Fluid Which Has An Even Longer Life. Unless You Are
Incurring A Transmission Issue It Should Be Okay. I Think After
2001 Most Of The Cars Went To The Newer Style Fluid. The Fluid Is Checked At Every Major Service Interval(or Is Supposed To Be)not
At Oil Changes.

Desertxc
01-21-2005, 01:28 PM

Gibbons is'nt that the same as changing some of your engine oil and mixing some new engine oil with the old and not replacing the filter. Seems to me that diluting the contaminated ATF still leaves you with contaminated ATF. I tend to think it should be all or nothing to really have any posative affect on the life and operation of your trans. Just my thought. What does the engineer in you have to say?

Vwvolvo
01-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Confusing sometimes, was at the dealer having a computer upgrade on my 2002 XC and my old mechanic said don't spend that kind of money for that ! No matter what, it'll turn brown anyways very quickly.

UMMMMMM !

Luc

Montreal, Canada

gibbons
01-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Desertxc- That's a good point. But I am looking only at dilution ratio, and the fewer particles of contaminant, the better. I think. As I mentioned, in a flush, you don't get any new fluid going into the valve body because the solenoid valves aren't actuating. But I don't know how much this valve body holds, so I don't know how much stays in.

The motor holds 7.something quarts of oil, but you only get 6 when you change it and the filter. The rest hides in the turbo, turbo lines, and who knows where else. When I converted to synthetic at 10k miles, I changed the oil and put in synthetic. I drove it a couple of miles, and dumped the synthetic, and filled it with synthetic again. The idea was that I wanted to purge as much of the 6:1 syn:dyno as possible. That first batch of synthetic I dumped was a dark as the the last batch of dyno. So even on a motor oil change, you aren't fresh as a daisy.

Soooo..... I think that dumping the ATF without a flush is better than nothing. And hey, I just ordered 4 liters from Borton for $43! I should have gotten 8 and done the same trick as with the synthetic motor oil swap.

dlr97
01-21-2005, 06:10 PM
I just did a search on "Transmission AND fluid" on the Swedespeed forum for 2001-current V70, etc. Volvos.

For what it's worth, several posters have indicated that they switched to Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetic ATF with no ill-effects.

Desertxc
01-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Gibbons: I understand your logic, but I still have my doubts about a just under 50% dilution ratio being that much help. If you do this every 15k miles maybe it will keep the particulates down to a certain amount, If the gunk is not hiding in a part of the trans that is not draining. Let us know what the fluid looks like when you drain it and how much particulates are in the fluid after 15k miles. I would tend to think not much and that would be your advantage of the 15k drain and fill.

gibbons
01-24-2005, 09:29 PM
OK, I dug deeper into the documentation. There is actually a way to flush it yourself! Here's how:

1. Pull the transmission drain plug, drain the ATF, and then put the plug back in.

2. Remove the ATF fluid cooler return line from the transmission. Put a plug or something over the trans fitting to keep dirt out. Loosen the cooler line from the radiator and spin it up and over the hood. Put a clear plastic tube on it that runs to a catch basin.

3. Put 2 liters of ATF in the trans. Start the car, and let it idle until the ATF pumping out of the clear tube has bubbles in it. Stop the motor, put in 2 more liters, and start the motor and run until bubbles appear.

3. Hook the line back up to the trans, and put in 2 more liters. Start motor, move shift lever through gears. Check the fluid level.

4. The transmission's microprocessor keeps track of hours and temperature, and sets a DTC code when a limit is reached. Or, if the trans operates for more than 2 minutes at 150 degrees celcius, another DTC is set. But, if you do this ATF change, you might want to have the hour counter reset using vadis. So, I guess that's another $80 charge. So, we would be up to $150 or so for the same thing as the $300 flush. But, since I have never heard of anyone hitting the magic number for service, maybe you could just skip the vadis thing and deal with it down the road if it ever comes on.

But doing it this way, you would know the right juice went back in.

Desertxc
01-26-2005, 01:33 PM
But doing it this way, you would know the right juice went back in.

AHH... Now thats more like the Gibbons I'm used to reading. Let us know how it works out when you give it a try. (As we all know you will) sounds like it could make one heck of a mess if your not careful :))

drhumm
01-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Greetings,

My wife just informed me her 2003 XC70 (47k) had a transmission service light come on. I went out and checked and sure enough the message window lights "Transmission Service Required" and the yellow warning triangle is also lit. I tried to check the fluid level but lo and behold I could not find a dipstick anywhere. We will call the dealer in the am for an appointment. From the previous posts, it does not appear anyone else has experienced this. Any advice is always appreciated. I will also post results from the dealer visit.

Regards,
Denny

ashotwell
11-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Hello All,
I just flushed my transmission myself with a $5.00 piece of clear tubing from Home Depot and Mobil 3309 ATF. I researched the magical mystery Volvo fluid and found it to be Mobil 3309. The Mobil bottle has a list of PNs that it replaces and the Volvo pn is right there. This fluid is used in the Asin-Warner 55-50 transmissions.

I disconnected the lower hose to the trans. cooler and hooked on my clear hose to the lower hose. I put the other end of the clear hose into a gallon container. I added two more qts. of new fluid at the trans. dipstick hole. I started the car and added fluid qt. by qt. until the old fluid ran clear through the clear hose. It took about 10-11 qts before it ran clear. After it was clear, I removed the clear hose and reconnected the lower hose to the trans. cooler. I ran the car and topped up the fluid when it was up to operating temp. I drove the car for a few days and topped up again. The second top-up only used about 400ml. The level is now constant and the fluid is clean and clear. Use a glove when you check the dipstick because you must put your hand against a very warm hose to pull it out. I purchased the Mobil 3309 from my local auto parts specialty store. This is not a national chain. It is a local 4-store company which caters to enthusiasts and home car care folks. They have the 3309 in stock for $4.00/qt.

I saved a lot of $. Good luck and put a large plastic container under the car to catch any drips. This stuff is hard to get off of a driveway.

bighifi
11-20-2005, 07:33 PM
I did the fluid change using the method described on the fourm. Worked wonders for my Transmission. The thing I have a question on is this. Everyone said to use Synthetic Fluid in the tranny but the listed Mobil 3309 is not synthetic fluid. Does anyone know what the deal with that is?

Gomer03
12-07-2005, 03:51 PM
New Volvo owner here, and a fluid change maniac. When my vehicle hits 10,000 miles I want to drain and replace the ATF in the pan, a procedure I'll do every 10,000 thereafter.

I cannot afford to buy Volvo's proprietary fluid, and want an alternative. I've read that Mobil 3309 is the same thing, but is that true for an '05? What is the compatible synthetic alternative?

CTXC70
12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I commend you enthusiasm but 10k is a bit much, unless you do not drive many miles each year. I do mine every 30k and have found the Mobil 3309 to work great.

Keep up the good work.

Gomer03
12-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Where do you purchase your Mobil ATF 3309? Even the two distributors on the Mobil website don't carry it....

CTXC70
12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
www.schultzlubericants.com

$42.48 per case ($3.54 per qt.)

CTXC70
12-08-2005, 08:31 PM
sorry for the typo:

http://www.schultzlubricants.com

al_roethlisberger
12-09-2005, 06:24 AM
So, I've heard(read) mention of the dealer doing this for ~$400?? ...and some intervals as short as every 10k miles?? ... and those that have done it says it "does wonders"??

Are there any Volvo recommended(or other) mileage intervals for how often it would be beneficial to perform this flush?

al

Jonliv
12-09-2005, 07:41 AM
called my non-dealer volvo exclusive mechanic (worked at a dealership for years)...
told me not to worry until I am near 100K, or when I check the fluid looks liek crap....