PDA

View Full Version : Latex paint splatters on car

eraas
01-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Well this is partly just kind of a vent/rant, but I'm also interested in what other people would do in this situation.

Yesterday after going for lunch at a restaurant in South Boston we returned to the car and there was a considerable amount of what appeared to be white latex paint on the hood, windshield, and roof. On noticing this I realized we were parked right in front of a 'Three-Decker' (house) in the midst of renovations. I knocked on the door, intending to let them know they were getting paint on cars in the street (well I'm assuming it was them) but there was no response.

My wife thought it was no big deal and in a way she was right because it washed off no problem at a nearby car wash (a few bits on the plastic were more stubborn and left streaks). Nonetheless I was pretty annoyed... if there had been more substantial damage what could we do? It's probably impossible (or at least not practical) to prove that the paint came from the house...

I guess this (like my previous thread about security of personal effects in a wagon) is just another one of the tradeoffs of urban living... in the past couple of years we've returned to our parked 850 on different occasions to find it 'keyed', driver side mirror ripped off/left side of the car scraped front to back by a hit-and-run driver (so of course I ate the deductible), and of course the inumerable bumber scuffs and parking-lot door dents... I don't mind the bumper scuffs but the other stuff was a pain.

ANYway, has anyone ever return to find some kind of damage like this, identify the culprit, and actually have amends made? In a way the best advice here is probably just to 'get over it'

</rant>

dlr97
01-16-2005, 12:37 PM
This happened to me a few years ago. It would not come off with normal washing; finally I had to clay-bar the finish and rewax.

eraas
01-16-2005, 04:52 PM
This happened to me a few years ago. It would not come off with normal washing; finally I had to clay-bar the finish and rewax.

What a pain! I guess I'm lucky I got it before it was really dry... thanks for sharing that info!

Catherine
01-17-2005, 12:32 PM
This also happened to us... our vehicle had yellow pinpoint spots on a white car... road crew was in the process of spraying lines onto the road. Town was contacted and they did make good on detailing the vehicle but it was a rather annoying event.