PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Window Treatment

skibo
01-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I just got back from lunch, and walking through the lot, I spotted an '04 XC70 and '04 V70 parked within a few spots of each other. I noticed that the trim surrounding the third side window (the cargo window?) is significantly different, resulting in a different shape and placement of the visible portion of the window glass..

The trim piece on the XC70 starts at the upper front and goes down and under, the piece on the V70 starts at the lower front and goes up and over. See the attached photos from the '05 models - this is unchanged from '04.

Personally, I prefer the V70 approach - it keeps the 3rd window in line with #1 and #2 - the XC approach makes the last window appear to be higher on the car. It also seems to make the 'C' piller wider, but the V70 window has a significant blacked out portion, so the effective visibility may be the same.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be different? If it is simply a styling cue to differentiate the XC from the V, then it is so subtle as to be almost unnoticable.

Desertxc
01-14-2005, 11:04 AM
My guess is styling cue for marketing. The xc styling is to give it a more rugged "SUV" look while the v70 styling is more for that conventional wagon look. Just my .02 worth.