PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch / Receiver?

berklee46
01-14-2005, 07:06 AM
I'm thinking of having a trailer hitch/received installed on my 01 XC. Rather than messing around with taking our bicycles apart or putting them on the roof, I like the idea of the hitch mounted carrier.

My dealership has the base unit for a little over $200, but it will be 4 hours labor to install (another $360).

Has anyone had an aftermarket unit installed on their car? Any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive brand to check out?

Artz
01-14-2005, 08:53 AM
We went with the Volvo hitch and paid less. Also, there was a $75 accessory rebate available a couple months ago. You can check if it still is available. It's very heavy duty, and I'm really happy with it.

skibo
01-14-2005, 10:17 AM
I am faced with the same quandry. There is plenty of material posted on other threads, including photos - try the 'search' function.

I'm leaning toward the OEM hitch - more $ but nicely integrated into the rear bumper - aftermarket units all seem to hang below.

Ocean1
01-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I had been recently looking at that (couple weeks ago). Locally, OEM hitch on a new XC is $800-900 CDN.

I did a quick search and found someone selling the DrawTite unit for $114 USD. That one was for a '02 to current unit. Drawtite has installation instructions on their site (good) and lists installation time at 30 minutes. Bolts on, have to lower the exhaust to slip it through. That particular company only ships to a US destimation.

I have installed a Drawtite on a different car in the past, and the fit up was very good in that case.

Also I suspect you will want the module for the lights. It is around another $50.

I like Hidden Hitch, but they dont offer one for the current model, not sure about an '01.

slowflyer
01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
I installed the DrawTite on a MY01 -- it was pretty easy. It is only a 1.25 inch hitch, not 2" like the OEM but I was only using it for a bike rack. The OEM fits higher (less visable) but the DrawTite sits tight under the bumper. There are pictures on the website of a DrawTite install. Got mine at eTrailer.com - lowest price I found, had quick delivery. I did not add wiring.

When I was looking, Hidden Hitch did have a model for the XC.

As easy as the aftermarket is to install, I'll bet the OEM is easy too.

I notice we have a hitch sponsor cheapHitches.com on the website so be sure and click on their link.

Ocean1
01-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I installed the DrawTite on a MY01 -- it was pretty easy. It is only a 1.25 inch hitch, not 2" like the OEM but I was only using it for a bike rack. <snip>
Got mine at eTrailer.com - lowest price I found, had quick delivery.
<snip>.
I admit, i prefer the 2" receiver, but keep in mind, the 1 1/4" receivers are solid while the 2" are tubes. They are both rated at 3500 lb capacity.

I believe etrailer is where i saw the terrific price on the MY05 one i was serching for. Hoping I am going to need one of those soon.

I see there are some pictures on another thread for a few alternatives. I have to look later, but I dont recall the factory hitch on my ORE being recessed into the bumber or the skid plate, like the pictures that are shown on that thread though.

JAZ
01-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Check HiddenHitch.com. They show a receiver hitch for the 2004 V70 (including XC) I have one on my 2004 V70. Less than $200 and an hour to install.

hunterxc
01-15-2005, 12:34 AM
I ended up with the oem and got a discount on it when I bought the XC. It is very solid and the bike rack is also very good, a Thule brand. This is the one with the adapter that holds other accessories like a table or ski/ snowboard holder. The bike rack pulls away so you can open the back hatch. Part of the labor is more intensive because the bumper must come off.

Francisd
01-15-2005, 11:00 PM
I have the hidden hitch on our XC now, the OEM one was just too pricey, and everything is extra (cover, wiring, etc....). The cover I got with it is a nice touch since it covers the hole and the two flanges on the sides that the chains hook into. Anyone who has used a hitch knows how banged up those flanges get, so having them covered up keeps the back looking clean. You have to be paying attention to see that the hitch is there. Pretty happy so far.
Used it to haul a utility trailer full of dirt/debris down to the dump, really no different than towing with our Pilot, except that I could see the trailer more easily (XC is lower), and it didn't 'clang' on every bump like the Pilot did with its OEM hitch (that cost me twice as much, but included a transmission oil cooler).

Ocean1
01-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Would you have a picture of the installation?

I would like to see how it fits up. Looking at this one for the next one ('05)

berklee46
01-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I will check out the aftermarket companies that were mentioned and just for kicks, call another Volvo dealer to see how many hours labor it is to install. (It can't hurt)

lavrgs
01-17-2005, 10:58 PM
My dealer quoted $246 for the hitch and $83 for the wiring...I'd be embarassed to tell what they wanted for a ball. How does this compare to other dealer pricing?

davega1
01-18-2005, 03:36 AM
It seems installing the hitch receiver itself is quite easy, but how about the wiring? I have tried to replace burnt out tail light bulbs, and finally took it to the dealer because I could not access the right angle without a special tool. Is the wiring harness as difficult as I suspect it may be?

skibo
01-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Is that $246 / $83 price installed? Seems like a great deal compared with what I've seen elsewhere

JAZ
01-18-2005, 04:04 PM
It seems installing the hitch receiver itself is quite easy, but how about the wiring? I have tried to replace burnt out tail light bulbs, and finally took it to the dealer because I could not access the right angle without a special tool. Is the wiring harness as difficult as I suspect it may be?

Wiring is easy, there is a plug in the battery area that will accept the Volvo plug, or, using a probe, you can trace the wiring yourself and connect to the wires. (The pluge even has wiring for brakes and reversing lights on the trailer.)

Like I said, very easy, but you will need the powered module to adapt the turn signals to the trailer lights.

lavrgs
01-18-2005, 04:05 PM
My dealer quoted $246 for the hitch and $83 for the wiring...I'd be embarassed to tell what they wanted for a ball. How does this compare to other dealer pricing?

This is for parts only

akaroz
07-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Just installed a hidden hitch to my xc90. It took about 1 hour or so -- and was fairly painless. The instructions that come with hitch are pretty good but I would add to loosen (but dont remove) the two bolts/nuts holding up the exhuast - that way the exhaust hangs down further and you can more easily silde the hitch in place. One other thing, the metric socket sizes were a bit screwy -- Volvo uses 15mm while the two ones with the hitch were 18 mm. The hitch looks great installed - the crossbar is nicely hidden (tucked inside the bumper) and the only thing sticking out is the receiver box.

Good luck.

taurik
07-21-2005, 08:09 AM
I just installed the Draw Tite hitch yesterday on my 2004 XC70. Very, very easy installation- less than 20 minutes actually. The receiver fits up close to the bumper, but the hitch is visible although it doesn't shout at you. Actually, it doesn't look bad at all.

I used the Volvo wiring kit, which isn't much more than a 10 minute job when you're doing the hitch *if* you have a model with prewired pigtail next to the spare tire. Just run it through the supplied trailer wiring access hole next to the battery and plug it in. With the Draw Tite hitch, be sure to do this before installing the hitch- the hitch will fit below the access hole.

The Volvo part number for the wiring (from the box) is 8698079. They first gave me the wrong wiring, so if you find the instructions telling you to run the wire to the electrical panel, then you've got the wrong kit. The XC70 kit is a simple one plug and ground. Just plug and go.

Wiring + hitch= less than 30 minutes. $115 for the hitch. $83 for the wiring. If you can take out bolts and tighten them up right, you can do this job. Hope this helps.

Mark

Sasquatch
07-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I just installed the Draw Tite hitch yesterday on my 2004 XC70. Very, very easy installation- less than 20 minutes actually. The receiver fits up close to the bumper, but the hitch is visible although it doesn't shout at you. Actually, it doesn't look bad at all.

I used the Volvo wiring kit, which isn't much more than a 10 minute job when you're doing the hitch *if* you have a model with prewired pigtail next to the spare tire. Just run it through the supplied trailer wiring access hole next to the battery and plug it in. With the Draw Tite hitch, be sure to do this before installing the hitch- the hitch will fit below the access hole.

The Volvo part number for the wiring (from the box) is 8698079. They first gave me the wrong wiring, so if you find the instructions telling you to run the wire to the electrical panel, then you've got the wrong kit. The XC70 kit is a simple one plug and ground. Just plug and go.

Wiring + hitch= less than 30 minutes. $115 for the hitch. $83 for the wiring. If you can take out bolts and tighten them up right, you can do this job. Hope this helps.

Mark

How does one determine if one has this pigtail?

For the record, our Volvo dealer (Gallo in Worcester) said they don't install hitches, but send you to the local UHaul place who does a good job cheaper than Gallo could do it. Nothing wrong with that. I bet they just don't want the liability for when people screw up their cars, boats, or trailers from doing something wrong and trying to blame the hitch or hitch installer.

taurik
07-23-2005, 08:47 PM
How does one determine if one has this pigtail?

Take the cover off and look at the spare tire. It'll be right next to it, between the tire and rear of the car. Can't miss it, looks like a big fat diagnostic plug.

Mark Hamilton
2004 XC70

dtlayman
07-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Maybe they haven't redesigned their hitch, but it sounds like there is now 2 different types of Volvo hitches. One of the hitches sounds like it is proprietary and the other is a square receiver.

Based on a link I found in the how-to section that explained the experience one person had with the Volvo proprietary hitch, it doesn't appear we want that one. From what I remember the Volvo proprietary hitch wasn't level and Volvo purchased it back from this individual. In addition, it sounds like the proprietary design of the hitch may pose some difficulties. Then this individual tried a draw-tite hitch and he found it sat too low and too far back causing it to touch the ground when backing, etc.. The third hitch seemed to be designed better as far as how it fits on the car, but wasn't as well constructed.

We like the cover and the way the Volvo hitch appears to fit under the bumper but we don't want to purchase it if it isn't level, etc. Does anyone know whether this hitch has been improved or if the square hitch receiver is different. Ideally, it seems like the square Volvo hitch would be the way to go if it fits under the bumper higher than aftermarket versions and it is level (unlike the experience reported above with the Volvo proprietary version).

Shoie
07-29-2005, 08:18 AM
dtlayman,

I believe you were reading Darell's review on 3 different hitches he installed on his V70 T5.

I recently purchased a Volvo hitch for my V70 T5 and the one I received did not look like the one described in Darrel's website. I believe that was the original hitch that Volvo offered. The one I purchased has a 2" square that can be used with any product that uses a 2" receiver. Mine is also level and not skewed.

You can probably get more information by visiting your local dealer regarding the hitch, but I believe the hitch that was on Darrel's website is no longer available.

Hope this helps.

dtlayman
08-03-2005, 07:08 PM
We dropped by a dealer in Fairfax, VA while visiting and looked at a car with the Volvo square hitch. It seems that this one would have the best ground clearance. Has anyone done a comparison? I think Darell had a review with photos that I can't find now, although I think he might have been comparing an older hitch design.

Hiro's XC
08-06-2005, 08:29 PM
For those of you that would like the factory hitch I have a CD FULL of photos of the install as well as a copy of the instruction on there. I COULD send you then by email if you have a broadband account. Copies of the CD I'd have to charge you a few $$ since the last time I sent a few out nobody even thanked me. Hey, my fault I guess. But either way the factory round hitch is real nice. It is a 4+ hour job if you take your time.

dtlayman
08-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Jason,

If you had the factory square hitch it would be great to get an email with photos, but I am not sure we want the round hitch because we want to use the bike rack etc. Can you use the round hitch with accessories like the bike rack?

brendon11
09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
This thread was helpful. I've been shopping around for a hitch to tow a small utility trailer for my '04 xc90. It was a toss up between a hidden hitch and the oem version. I do like how the oem sits higher, but the labor involved makes it unattractive. And all my luck, the installer will slip and cut a huge chuck out of my bumper!

Hidden hitch it is! Now for the wiring harness. Anybody have luck finding a good one (not a $24 universal fit jobby) a real one....

grimesdr
09-06-2008, 04:25 AM
Where did you find a V70 XC hitch for $115 & Wiring 8698079 for $83?