PDA

View Full Version : Transmission questions

Martin #6
03-27-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure if I have a problem or not, but the transmission has no holding power. On any small incline or decline, with the car running, if you take your foot off of the brake the car will start to roll backwards or forward. Most automatic transmissions that I've dealt with before will have some sort of holding power. Is this typical to Volvo or do I have a problem transmission?

Ian Dunbar
03-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Martin #6 - It's not a problem that I have noticed with mine. Sounds, like something might not be quite right.

Gundo
03-27-2003, 07:40 PM
This behavior occurs because the "smart" transmission Volvo uses shifts into neutral when you slow below 20mph.  If you don't give it any gas, it will stay in neutral.  Give it a shot of gas and it will hold on the hill.

Martin #6
03-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks Gundo for the information.

Swamped
03-30-2003, 06:51 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Martin #6 @ Mar. 27 2003,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I&#39;m not sure if I have a problem or not, but the transmission has no holding power. On any small incline or decline, with the car running, if you take your foot off of the brake the car will start to roll backwards or forward. Most automatic transmissions that I&#39;ve dealt with before will have some sort of holding power. Is this typical to Volvo or do I have a problem transmission?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
My 2002 doesn&#39;t have this problem, it holds on inclines without rolling back.