PDA

View Full Version : Again long cranking before starting !

Vwvolvo
01-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi and again I'm trying to get information. I already asked that question but no replies. I have a 2002 XC new Volvo plugs , 91 octane fuel, air filter OK and in the past 6 months 5 times I had trouble starting the car. It would crank normally but wouldn't fire up. It would take 2 to 3 times (5-8 seconds of cranking each time) for the car to start. When started it iddles perfectly power is perfect, no codes, no messages, no errors. The car has 95K Km ( 55-60K miles).

Anyone with a clue

Thanks again

Luc
St-Constant Quebec
Canada

Art
01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Luc,

Not sure if this is related to your problem, but there have been instances where a faulty antenna ring in the ignition switch has caused similar starting issues.

More here in this thread. (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1643&highlight=hard+starting)

Raynald
01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Cranks but no fire? Humm... Are you always using the same key? It happened to my wife recently. After three tries, she took my key, and it worked the first time around. Coincidence? Maybe! Next time it happens (if it does...), stop using this one key for a while. Worth a try... :)

AWD*V70XC
01-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Vwvolvo, just a thought, are you using the valet key?????

Vwvolvo
01-05-2005, 04:14 PM
No, I had my master key. Once I had a message this past summer that said something about immobilizer and I was told that probably It is because I had 2 keys in my hand or close one to another ( valet and master ). I did have the valet key but it was in the cup holder next to the parking brake. I personally think that this is not what I call. Otherwise, everytime it happened, I was using one key ( the master ) and no messages.

Thanks again

Luc

XC70Geo
01-05-2005, 07:24 PM
If you have a problem with immo or key codes, it would not crank at all, it would do nothing.
Might be some eletric problem?
In the other hand, the XC has a detailed error diary (you will not see this). It can be read by the VADIS system at your dealer. They will have more information to figure out what's happening.

DobiesXC
01-06-2005, 07:14 AM
I have had this same cranking problem about 4 times over 1.5 years with my 2003. It starts on the third try, and does not reappear for months. It does start, and it's very rare so I've not been concerned about it....yet.
The day it doesn't start, I'll curse myself for not determining the cause earlier.