PDA

View Full Version : Replacement spare for XC 90

Joey G
12-31-2004, 01:21 PM
I have seen several conversations concerning the spare tire on the XC 90. I am looking for a solution for replacing the inadequate spare. I currently have Michenlin 235/65 R17 on the vehicle. Has anyone found a better spare than what comes with the vehcile which will fit under the vehicle?

I was thinking of something which had the same diameter as the spare. I am guessing the problem with fit in the spare hanging cavity area is the tire diameter. So why not something with the same diameter as the spare.

Also some vehicles come with 18 inch tires, mine is 17 inch, will a 17 in fit in the spare tire cavity.

There has to be a solution to the inadequate spare tire situation!!

Big
12-31-2004, 03:35 PM
There has to be a solution to the inadequate spare tire situation!!
Sorry. The problem is the tire width. The diameter of the spare, 17" & 18" tires is the same but the spare is much thinner to avoid the exhaust. One owner was able to get a deflated full-size tire in the wheel well (sort of like the Touareg does it); I tried an inflated tire and it did not work.

This topic has been discussed a few times. Some people carry a "spare in a can." I also pack a tire plug kit and an air compressor. Sometimes I even carry a full-size spare in the cargo area; it takes up a lot of space but on trips into the backcountry or when towing I feel it is necessary to avoid being stranded with a sidewall failure that can't be fixed.

It is possible to carry a full-size spare on an external carrier--hitch mounted or on a roof rack--but neither is a very good solution. If you think of something, let us know.