PDA

View Full Version : rear wiper blade replacement

xcrubygal
12-31-2004, 07:47 AM
Hello folks
Sorry it has been so long since I have been on the forum ! Happy to report my '04 now has 21k wonderful miles on it, and looking forward to many more !
We just put new wipers on my car, SilBlade which are all silicone with a PTFE coating, and 5 yr warranty. So far so good.
The problem we have is figuring out how to change the back one. The owners manual was not real clear, and don't want to break anything.
Happy New Year to you all, and safe winter motoring !
xcrubygal

Raynald
12-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Removing the rear wiper blade is just a matter of pulling it out, as show in the owner's manual. Seems to be a special kind of blade though... The only place I found one is at my dealer.

http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2004/2004_XC70/IMAGES/pg134d.jpg

Art
12-31-2004, 12:04 PM
The plastic tab that holds the rear wiper arm in place just shattered in the frigid temperatures that we’ve been enduring here for the past week. A new replacement arm will cost $53.00 Cdn. I really think that Volvo should utilize a universal hook similar to the design of the front wiper arms. :(

sandre
01-03-2005, 12:03 AM
a standard 17" micro edge bosch blade worked fine... remove all of the plastic clips and it will snap perfectly into the wiper arm...

pico de luuks
01-03-2005, 05:45 AM
a standard 17" micro edge bosch blade worked fine... remove all of the plastic clips and it will snap perfectly into the wiper arm...

The only problem I have with those is, that they always miss a spot in the center of the window.. :mad:

Art
01-03-2005, 12:55 PM

Sandre,

Could you possibly elaborate more on how your Bosch blade snaps into the rear wiper arm? I see on their website that the replacement blade comes with a pre-installed adaptor (U1). With the stock wiper length being 16", are there any clearance issues with the 17" Bosch blade? Thanks. :)

I’ve also attached a pic of the broken clip that secures the blade to the rear wiper arm. Like Raynald, I’ve also been unable to find a blade that fits the XC’s rear wiper arm other than at the dealer. :(

sandre
01-03-2005, 07:52 PM
if you completely remove the plastic clip that is part of the new wiper blade you will be left with a thin steel cross piece,,, the size of a med size nail... this should just clip into the wiper arm... when the blade is in the middle of its stroke it comes slightly off the glass...it was raining today, i had no problem with it missing any part of the glass ( with the exeption of fore mentioned tdc which you really don't notice looking through the rear view mirror). hope this helps, steve.... art i'm sorry,,, i didn't get a good look at your arm until after i posted this ... from the picture it looks like the clip is broken and i don't recall seeing a replacement with the new blade... i would check for you but i through the clips and packaging away... might be a dealer item... good luck.

Art
01-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Steve. I felt a need to explore all of my options before pushing off to the dealer for a replacement arm. Much appreciated. :)

rhanbury
04-20-2014, 05:43 AM
I found a rear wiper blade at the local auto parts store that fit with a little modification. The Trico ExactFit RearBlade 16-B. The blade receptacle is made of plastic and is easily modified to fit the Volvo wiper arm. I used a dremel tool, and the modification took me only 5 minutes. You could used a round file, but the Dremel made short work of the mod. Two parts need removal - two little guide bumps/nubs in the opening where the wiper arm attaches, and the same opening needs to be lengthened by about 1 cm at its curved end. The blade fits perfectly in the wiper arm assembly and even secures with a satisfying click.

JRL
04-20-2014, 06:44 AM
and this is easier than going to your dealer and buying the correct blade?

Allgonquin
04-26-2014, 06:13 AM
On my newly acquired 2004 I replaced only the rubber squeegee part of the blade, which has 2 metal strips to give it some rigidity, with the same from a 16" blade I got from a McParts store. Left the main part of the blade structure which has 2 "bows" in it. The blade I used was listed in the parts catalog as the rear window wiper for my car, but after getting it home I saw that the whole assembly was different and I could just swap the edge part. Wipes perfectly fine. I hear what JRL says, but in my so far limited experience with dealer sourced parts, the pricing is very high. The blade from McParts was only a few $. Not to mention about 50 miles closer than the nearest dealer!

cwise73
04-26-2014, 07:07 AM
I just replaced mine with volvo OEM. Ordered it online at my favorite online parts supplier and it was only $15 (got free shipping by adding a few other things to my cart). Easy install, and works the way that it should!
I read a lot of the posts about breaking the wiper arm on install, so I took my time and also use a plastic pry tool to help open up the clip while pushing the old blade off. popped right off.

JRL
04-26-2014, 12:38 PM
They break VERY easily
Do not do this in the winter (cold)