PDA

View Full Version : Towing Capicity 2004 Vs 2005 5cyl Xc90

MEATKINS
12-29-2004, 12:00 PM
I Bought My 2004 Xc90 With Towing A Camper In Mind. I Was Told By The Salesman That The Vehicle Towed 5000lbs. He Showed Me The Owners Manual On Pg. 101 Rating The Towing Capacity At 4960. He Said That There Was No "towing Package" Since The Xc90's All Came Standard With Transmission Radiators. In Anticipation Of Buying My Camper I Talked To My Service Manager. He Said That He Had Just Returned From A Conference On Xc90's And That The Max Towing Capacity On A 5cyl Xc90 Is 3500lbs. I Was Shown A Graduated Tabel In The New 2005 Owners Manual Showing #of Rows Of Seats, # Of Passangers, And Towing Capacity. With A Third Row Of Seats The 5 Cyl Can Not Tow 2000 Lbs. Isn't My 2004 Virtually Identical To The 2005 As Far As Towing Is Concerned? If Not Then I Would Like An Explanation Why The Same Engine And Transmission Can Tow 4960lbs In 2004 And So Much Less In 2005. I Have Friends Towing 4800 And 5000 With Their 2003 And 2004 Models. Are They Safe? Will My Family And I Be Safe Towing 4500-4800 Lbs With My 2004? Please Help Me Figure This Out.

Thank You.

Outrageous
12-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Towing Capacity (FWD/AWD): 2.5T:4,000/5,000 lbs. T6: 4,000/5,000 lbs.

See: http://www.volvocars.us/Showroom/XC90/Specifications/TechnicalSpecifications/

Big
12-29-2004, 10:08 PM
I Bought My 2004 Xc90 With Towing A Camper In Mind...
Welcome to the forum! But please don't type initial caps because it makes your message very hard to read.

According to Volvo the towing capacity of the XC90 is:

All models - trailers without brakes - 1,650 lbs (750 kg).
Models with all wheel drive - trailers with brakes - 4,960 lbs (2250 kg).
Models with front wheel drive - trailers with brakes - 3,970 lbs (1800 kg).

Recommended hitch tongue load is:

Trailer weights below 2,650 lbs (1,200 kg) - 110 lbs (50 kg).
Trailer weights above 2,650 lbs (1,200 kg) - 198 lbs (90 kg).

You can read a trailer towing review here. (http://www.trailerboats.com/site_page_1483/article_page_239.cfm)

MEATKINS
12-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Towing Capacity (FWD/AWD): 2.5T:4,000/5,000 lbs. T6: 4,000/5,000 lbs.

See: http://www.volvocars.us/Showroom/XC90/Specifications/TechnicalSpecifications/
I KNOW WHAT THE WEB SITES AND SALES SITES SAY, HOWEVER READ THE NEW 2005 OWNERS MANUAL REGARDING TOWING CAPACITIES. CAN YOU MAKE SENSE OF THE DIFFRDRNCE BETWEEN 2004 AND 2005 5 CYL. XC90'S?

MEATKINS
12-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum! But please don't type initial caps because it makes your message very hard to read.

According to Volvo the towing capacity of the XC90 is:

All models - trailers without brakes - 1,650 lbs (750 kg).
Models with all wheel drive - trailers with brakes - 4,960 lbs (2250 kg).
Models with front wheel drive - trailers with brakes - 3,970 lbs (1800 kg).

Recommended hitch tongue load is:

Trailer weights below 2,650 lbs (1,200 kg) - 110 lbs (50 kg).
Trailer weights above 2,650 lbs (1,200 kg) - 198 lbs (90 kg).

You can read a trailer towing review here. (http://www.trailerboats.com/site_page_1483/article_page_239.cfm)
Thank you for your help. And no I do not type very well. Although, the table inthe new owners manual regarding towing is still confusing to me.

Big
12-30-2004, 12:32 PM
And no I do not type very well. Although, the table inthe new owners manual regarding towing is still confusing to me.Thanks, that's much better. I just looked at the table in the 2005 on-line manual (http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2005/2005_XC90/05xc90_06b.htm#pg105) and what they have done is refine the trailer capacity to take into account the total vehicle load. That makes sense because with any tow vehicle you have to add the weight on the trailer hitch to the vehicle's load and keep within the maximum gross vehicle weight and rear axle weight. Carrying passengers or cargo limits the trailer you can tow.

To determine if you are within limits, you can hitch up your trailer as it is normally loaded, add a full tank of gas and weigh the rig at truck scales. I did this and discovered my basic combination is about 2650 pounds over the front axle and 2700 over the rear axle (well within the maximum 2820 front, 3240 rear and 6005 total). So, I have some extra capacity for longer trips.

You can use a sturdy bathroom scale to measure the trailer's tongue weight which is a maximum 500 pounds (or less with passengers).

MEATKINS
01-04-2005, 11:09 AM
So I can not tow anything since I have the third row of seats and the table says "towing not reccommended" under the third row of seating. That is 4960 lbs less than I was led to believe I could tow when I bought the vehicle. Also the article I read talked about the poor gear ratio on the 5 cyl. but otherwise indicated it could tow well. I'm still confused.

Big
01-04-2005, 11:37 AM
So I can not tow anything since I have the third row of seats and the table says "towing not reccommended" under the third row of seating. That is 4960 lbs less than I was led to believe I could tow when I bought the vehicle. Also the article I read talked about the poor gear ratio on the 5 cyl. but otherwise indicated it could tow well. I'm still confused.Tow ratings can be confusing. What exactly are you wanting to tow and how many people will be along?

The table just shows that if you have passengers in all the seats you are probably near the load rating of the XC90 and so may not be able to pull a trailer because its tongue weight adds to the load. If there are fewer passengers in the car you have more theoretical towing capacity.

The numbers are just guidelines and there are other variables. One of them is tongue weight. Remember the Airstream photos showing a bicycle pulling a big trailer? If the trailer is well balanced, which you can control somewhat by loading it carefully, it has low tongue weight and so you may be able to pull it safely even when your XC90 is near load capacity.

You also have to be mindful of how much stuff you load in the car, the tire pressure, the hitch length, and heavy cargo like liquids (drinking water, fuel, etc.) that can quickly add up. That's why I suggest loading up for a normal trip and visiting truck scales to find out what load is on each axle.

dmd
01-05-2005, 04:09 PM
The numbers are just guidelines and there are other variables. One of them is tongue weight. Remember the Airstream photos showing a bicycle pulling a big trailer? If the trailer is well balanced, which you can control somewhat by loading it carefully, it has low tongue weight and so you may be able to pull it safely even when your XC90 is near load capacity.

A properly loaded trailer should have AT LEAST 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. Serious sway can happen if this is not followed.

I wouldnt pull more than 2000lbs behind a car based vehicle. In all of the vehicles I have owned, I have found that about 75% of the max rating is more realistic as the max tow rating. 50% is a realistic weight unless the vehicle is designed to tow from the ground up.

Big
01-06-2005, 12:03 PM
A properly loaded trailer should have AT LEAST 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. Serious sway can happen if this is not followed.

I wouldnt pull more than 2000lbs behind a car based vehicle. In all of the vehicles I have owned, I have found that about 75% of the max rating is more realistic as the max tow rating. 50% is a realistic weight unless the vehicle is designed to tow from the ground up.Good point about the sway. Trailer instability is an interesting subject. Trailer type, load, speed, suspension, dampening factors and other things affect sway potential. I think tongue weight is just a way of measuring trailer center-of-gravity which is a key factor. As far as recommendations go, in the U.S. it is typically 10%-15% but in Europe 7% is more typical. I've seen recommendations of 5%-10% for boat trailers of 3.5%-5% for horse trailers. I guess the best advice is for a person to test their rig at various speeds and conditions to see how it does.

Tow rating is another number that is hard to pin down. There doesn't seem to be a standard way of determining it and some manufacturers are more conservative than others. I've heard that Europeans will tow heavier trailers than Americans with the same car. Volvos have a reputation as sturdy tow vehicles and the XC90 certainly has a strong superstructure, big brakes and ample axle capacity. Of course it's not intended to be a full-time tow vehicle but serves family uses quite well. I don't even notice our 13' travel trailer (about 2000 lbs.) and would have no qualms about pulling a 16' fiberglass trailer with brakes.

SUV Mommy
01-10-2005, 06:03 AM
Hello, I've been shopping to downsize from a Suburban. We tow 3500 #'s of boat on occasion. Is the XC 90 6 cyl. going to be comfortable and adequate for this? I have read all of the above and there seems to be a little bit of confusion. I am also considering the Touareg(VW) and BMW X5. Are you pleased with the XC 90? Thanks for your advice.

Big
01-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Hello, I've been shopping to downsize from a Suburban. We tow 3500 #'s of boat on occasion. Is the XC 90 6 cyl. going to be comfortable and adequate for this? I have read all of the above and there seems to be a little bit of confusion. I am also considering the Touareg(VW) and BMW X5. Are you pleased with the XC 90? Thanks for your advice.
Several owners have reported towing boats in that weight range with no problems. With attention to trailer basics you should be fine. If you are considering the BMW and VW which are 5-seaters it sounds like you will probably not exceed the XC90's load capacity.

I considered the VW when it first came out. Interesting car. I especially liked the gadgets and off-road ability but was scared off by VW's poor reputation for service and the unknowns in a new vehicle. As it turned out the VW had numerous electrical problems and the infamous Airstream commercial that was pulled. It sounds like those things have been smoothed out now. The fundamental problem with the Touareg, though, is that it is a heavy, inefficient car with limited cargo space. The XC90 is a more balanced and versatile design. Never considered the BMW.

One thing to consider with towing is that the XC90 7-seater comes with self-leveling rear shocks whereas I believe the 5-seater does not unless you special order.

SUV Mommy
01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks. I was aware of that but, didn't consider it's application to towing. But, makes sense. The 1 in less leg room would be compromised. I just found out today that the T6 will most likely be discontinued. Not sure if this should be a facor in my decision to buy.

v70+xc70
02-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Just take a look at the following exerpt that you can find in any literature from manufacturers
eg right here http://volvoshowroom.channelnet.com/Showroom/sb.cn?crt=pagekey=41

Quote" Specifications, features and equipment shown are based upon the latest information available. Volvo Cars of North America, LLC reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice, to colors, specifications, accessories, and materials."

Now what kind of trailer are you towing, how heavy etc?

dmd
02-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Suburban is a much better and stable tow vehicle. Full frame, much more suitable. Xc90 will do it, but being a car it wont be nearly as stable with a load. Drive train isnt nearly as stout eather. Short distances probably wont matter, but if you haul often or longer distances I think you will find the Sururban a better vehicle.

Mr. P
05-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Forgive me if I'm repeating this to some old timers here, but I want to point out some comparisons about towing.

I towed a heavy 4-wheel steel car hauler trailer with my 928 Porsche on board, with a Volvo 740. The 740 has a 2.3 liter normally aspirated 16v 4 cylinder motor rated at about 160 hp.

There wasn't much of an issue with pulling power. Yes, it was a heavy load, but once up to speed, I could drive easily at speeds that were too fast to STOP. Therefore the limiting factor really was the brakes and suspension, as the 740 was NEVER designed to tow that much. After the first stop, the brakes were so hot it really got my attention and I slowed down. Fortunately the trip was not a long one and was necessary (an OHC cam gear sprocket was coming loose on the 928 and I was afraid to drive it in to the shop).

The XC90 on the other hand, has huge brakes and a much better suspension. I wouldn't hesitate to tow the same load with the XC90, even without brakes on the trailer, but naturally I'd be very wary on the braking issue.

Anyone who is dead set about maintaining speed with a tow load should take note. When you're towing, you have a load behind you and you just have to take your time and be careful. Insisting on maintaining speed up or down mountain roads is nuts with a tow, you need to slow down anyway and be careful. People who insist on blasting down the highway as if they don't have a load, may as well be using the cell phone too.

As for the VW / Cayenne, if you want a vehicle that was on the bottom of the JD Power 2004 Initial Quality Survey, then buy one. For me, a XC90 is a much better choice.

regards, happy towing,

Mr. P

Bobalouie3
05-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Regarding European vs America towing...I've lived in Germany for almost four years now and have seen MBs, BMWs, Fords, Opals (euro GM) and so forth routinely pulling stuff that, in America, would have been pulled by a (big!) pick-up truck.

Latest I saw was a MB E-class pulling a 30+ foot sailing yacht on a tandem-axel trailer. He was making about 60 mph on the Autobahn.

dmd
05-06-2005, 10:35 PM
I would say anything over 3000lbs-3500lbs would be too much for these cars (yes they are cars). Get something designed to pull. Could they do it, probably. The issue come in when you are not in the perfict conditions. This coul dbe even when someone slows down in front of you. Get something designed to pull and stop with a load, not some car that is tagged with a unreasonable number that the vehicle would struggle to pull and would be unsafe to stop.