PDA

View Full Version : Headlight washer misaligned

eraas
12-18-2004, 10:05 AM
I just noticed that the passenger side headlight washer on our '03 (purchased used last month 'Volvo Certified') seems slightly misaligned so that the blade sits just under the little black plastic tab at the bottom of the headlight.

I have not yet been able to get someone to watch while it's activated, but I'm assuming that the blade either will get stuck under the tab or pop over it after enough force is built up, both of which seem like they could lead to damage of the motor assembly.

In fact just the same thing happened on our old 850 and the motor did stop working - think a gear got stripped - and on the 850 at least there was a serious amount of dissasembly required to replace the unit (I never did it). This is a particular pain since any time the windshield washer is activated I gather the headlight wipers will come on as well (and 'tis the season to use the washer!)

I'm going to call the dealer but am pessimistic that it will be resolved before a large amount of travel we'll be doing for the holidays. Has anyone else experienced this or have any tips on short term measures or easy fixes?

Thanks in advance,

er

Art
12-18-2004, 11:39 AM
er,

Have you checked to see if the wiper blade is facing the right direction? Not certain if this would make any difference, but the short end of the blade should be pointing inwards. If the blade is in the right position, try and remove the wiper arm from the motor assembly and reposition it in a counter clockwise fashion just a few notches along the splines. Only tool you’ll need is a driver with an 8mm socket.

eraas
12-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Have you checked to see if the wiper blade is facing the right direction? Not certain if this would make any difference, but the short end of the blade should be pointing inwards. If the blade is in the right position, try and remove the wiper arm from the motor assembly and reposition it in a counter clockwise fashion just a few notches along the splines. Only tool you’ll need is a driver with an 8mm socket.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check this out but have been out with a bad case of flu for the last week. As mentioned in another thread I just started I just got a more agravating problem - seems like the washer fluid (dealer supplied) froze. I will try to take the car to dealer tomorrow to address this and ask them to look at the wiper aligment as well.

eraas
12-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Just a follow-up now that I'm back from Holidays - in the end the dealer fixed this problem the car was in for repair of the washer fluid system (car was delivered with summer fluid and froze) the dealer kindly dealt with this and fixed the wiper aligment at no charge. Two thumbs up for Boston Volvo Village!