PDA

View Full Version : Service Light & Filling Up with Gas

12-15-2004, 01:38 PM
We ad our 2003 V70 XC in for service and they gave us a XC90. The service light went on after driving for about 10 minutes. I called the service department and they told me that this can occur when getting gas and the car is not shut off.

Is this true and will the same thing occur on the V70 XC if I fill up without shutting the car off?

Thanks again!
Frank

tooberand
12-15-2004, 02:35 PM
I believe this will be a problem resulting from the gas tank cap being off while the engine is running. The gas tank cap isn't heavy duty just for looks. I don't know the exact reasoning behind it, but something about tank pressure or vacuum to get gas to the engine. I'm betting one of the mechanical geniuses here will provide a more detailed explanation.

Most, if not all, fuel stations require that you shut off your engine before filling up with gas. I'm guessing that they do this for a pretty good reason, but apparently they don't enforce it.

Also, be sure not to top off!!! :)

arejohn
12-15-2004, 07:02 PM
The gas tank and associated are pressue monitored as part of the clean air act...vapor and liquid leak identification.

budrichard
12-16-2004, 08:19 AM
This is not the 'Service Light' but the dreaded 'Check engine Light'. This light is essentially the OBD (Onboard Diagnostics) that will light whenever the OBD notices a problem with any part of the emissions system. If you fill the tank while the engine is running, the tank becomes pressurised and vapors can escape. OBD monitors for vacuum in the tank. Don't fill while running and if this occurs. Stop the vehicle at your convience, take off the gas cap, use a slim object to keep the filler valve open and rock the bumper with your foot to 'burp' the tank. -Dick

Legend854T5R
12-16-2004, 11:18 AM
AreJohn is right IIRC.

The light goes off because there are gas fumes escaping into the air. Annoying, isn't it?

MTM
12-18-2004, 04:39 PM
I had that happen as well...dealer said it is not an unusual event. I did not have the car running when I refueled. They said to make sure when you put the cap back on twist the cap for two clicks only. The light went out by itself after a week or so...it has something to do with miles driven or number of times started for it to reset itself. No problems since I began the "two click" procedure.

Willy
12-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi,
Indeed, the fuel system is tested for leaks as part of the OBDII system. I am not sure weather it uses vacuum or pressure, both tests exist, the fuel system is pressurized and then a switch monitors the loss of pressure (same thing if a vacuum test is used). However, I don't think this is part of the continuous monitoring items, I believe this test is only performed when the car is started. I am aware of the fact that this doesn't answer your question and may only cause more confusion :o
Willy

CrazyTiger
12-19-2004, 07:14 PM
That is interesting...I always have a habbit to leave my car running while pumping gas. But never have I seen the 'Check engine Light' turn on. Maybe in different country, Volvo has different specs for it?? Not too sure though....

Willy
12-20-2004, 01:31 AM
I think it is safer to shut down the engine while filling up.
Willy

CrazyTiger
12-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks Willy.

Sorry for being ignorance...but could someone advise me on why is it safer to shut down the engine while filling up gas? :confused:

Just like what tooberand said.... Most gas station do not enforce it... same thing in Singapore....

Art
12-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Has anyone ever tried using this device?

Permacap (http://www.kkauto.com/carcare.html)

I recall IPD used to stock this item but I no longer see it on their website. One drawback I see with the Peramcap would be in a situation where a full service attendant might remove the cap without realizing its true purpose.

I see that Volvospeed (http://www.volvospeed.com/Reviews/permacap.htm) gives it a two thumbsup review. :)

littlewaywelt
12-21-2004, 02:21 PM
I had one on a Jeep for a few weeks. I ended up throwing it away. It seemed cheaply made and I was affraid the thing the nozzle pushed through would fall off into the tank.

Swamped
12-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Here's an enlightening discussion of just why you should shut off the engine while refueling here
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1998/September/01.html

eraas
12-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Can anyone tell me what the advantage of not turning the car off when refuelling would be?

The only time this has made sense is when I lived in Regina, Saskatchewan for some time in the late 80's and a lot of the old cars people drove would never, ever restart in the -35C cold spells we'd get if stopped for any length of time (even if previously hot). When you went to the the store every car in the parking lot would be running, and everyone took two sets of keys - one to leave in the ignition while doing errands. Of course this would only happen during the occasional *really* cold spell but I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it! My memory suggests it might have got as cold as -40C but maybe I'm exaggerating with age :)

CrazyTiger
12-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Here's an enlightening discussion of just why you should shut off the engine while refueling here
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1998/September/01.html
Thanks Swamped. Last night when I was filling up gas, I saw another sign...(never really notice that before..) - No talking on HandPhone when filling up gas!! Asked the attendant why. His replied was that the handphones transmit strong signal and it might ignite the vapour from the gas.:eek: I was shock at his answer.. not sure if that is true. Maybe I should wear fire proof jacket/pants/mask the next time when I fill up gas!;)

littlewaywelt
12-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks Swamped. Last night when I was filling up gas, I saw another sign...(never really notice that before..) - No talking on HandPhone when filling up gas!! Asked the attendant why. His replied was that the handphones transmit strong signal and it might ignite the vapour from the gas.:eek: I was shock at his answer.. not sure if that is true. Maybe I should wear fire proof jacket/pants/mask the next time when I fill up gas!;)
I recall Mythbusters proving the cell phone thing to be untrue.
People have however started fires when pumping gas by static electricity built up on their floor mats.

Willy
12-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Hello CrazyTiger,
Sorry it took so long, I just lost track of the issue :o
As mentioned in the link by Swamped, gasoline vapors can exlpode by a spark. The atricle states sparks are not normally generated in a runnning car. I disagree, eg. the carbon brushes in the alternator spark all the time while feeding the rotor (this can also be seen in an electric drilling machine, although it's not the very same thing).
Suppose someone before you makes a massive fuel spill, some fueml is spilled on the exaust. If it doesn't explode there, and your engine is running, the vapors will be inhaled by the rotating fan and the disaster can take place.
I am sure a number of doom scenarios can be thought of, I know it may sound inprobable to happen, but I have known some very,very improbable things to happen :D
I am off for a week or two in the Belgian Ardennes now :)
Willy

xc70fin
12-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeap, and somethimes you can see people filling gas and SMOKING at same time.

CrazyTiger
12-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Smoking and filling up gas at the same time?! Wow...that is suicide!! :mad: Anyone get caught doing that here.... go straight to jail...(do not pass go...do not collect $300...):p

Willy, enjoy your trip!! :)