PDA

View Full Version : In Dash Storage Compartment

Coffeeman
12-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Hello All, I just bought a 2001 XC70 for my son. Great vehicle. New to this forum, but I've read many previous posts, and I am amazed at the wealth of information here...Thanks!

My question concerns the in dash cupholder. I would really like to replace it with the storage bin, but I can''t find a part number for this anywhere. (I did a search on this forum also). Can anyone please direct me in the right direction? I need the storage compartment in gray. Thanks in advance!

AWD*V70XC
12-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Hello All, I just bought a 2001 XC70 for my son. Great vehicle. New to this forum, but I've read many previous posts, and I am amazed at the wealth of information here...Thanks! That's nice of you to say, and hey welcome along to the board, any questions we can answer, we certainly will try :D

My question concerns the in dash cupholder. I would really like to replace it with the storage bin, but I can''t find a part number for this anywhere. (I did a search on this forum also). Can anyone please direct me in the right direction? I need the storage compartment in gray. Thanks in advance! Wow... now hang on a minute, a question already! :p

Well as you have asked nicely, here is my 2 cents worth. I was never aware of a storage bin for this area, I only things I am aware of for this hole is, a cupholder (as you describe), a blanking off plate and the keypad for a GSM phone but not astorage bin as you describe, this may be the reason you have not found anything on your search, but who knows, different regions have different things. :)

birddog
12-13-2004, 05:22 PM
I was never aware of a storage bin for this area, I only things I am aware of for this hole is, a cupholder (as you describe), a blanking off plate and the keypad for a GSM phone but not astorage bin as you describe, this may be the reason you have not found anything on your search, but who knows, different regions have different things. :)

I've seen the empty compartment coffeeman is speaking of. I saw it in a loaner s60 I had at some point. I thought it was great because I could put my mobile and my ipod both in there while they were connected to the stereo and to the d/c outlet. I would be interested in this purchase as well since I don't care to use the cupholder on the dash.

Coffeeman
12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I thought that I had read that later XC70's had an empty compartment in lieu of the cupholder. Something like the S80's dash compartment would be great, although it will not fit. The S80 even has an accordian door that closes by pulling it down. Either would be perfect for cell phone storage.

xc70fin
12-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I have seen it also in some volvo models! It is greate for Mobile phone as someone mentionend! I would be also interested to know what it would cost to replace cupholde with "hole".

I also would like to get rid of cupholders inside of armrest. I already adjusted it so that it do not move with lid. Because if you try to srore something inside, closing is diffucult. You have to lower first cup holder and set all of your stuff so that it fits there together lowering cup holder.

Where do we need all those cupholders?

Art
12-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Below is a pic of the storage compartment (aka the 'cubby hole'). Afraid I don't know the part number, but that's something your dealer could provide for you. :)

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/469/362885_19.jpg

John@CdnRockies
12-13-2004, 07:42 PM
As Art's photo attests, the storage bin does exist. Our Canadian '04 XC70 delivered in June came with the storage bin as the standard item. The space is great to stick my wallet and BlackBerry phone. Definintely better than the prior rather flimsy cupholder. I'm sure your local parts department would have the part number.

John

barrysharp
12-13-2004, 08:46 PM
As Art's photo attests, the storage bin does exist. Our Canadian '04 XC70 delivered in June came with the cupholder as the standard item. The space is great to stick my wallet and BlackBerry phone. Definintely better than the prior rather flimsy cupholder. I'm sure your local parts department would have the part number.

John

1. I'd try your local foreign car salvage yard first to find the storage bin part - you will be amazed at what you can pickup for a fraction of what Volvo charges. ;)

2. John - Hmmmm 'the BlackBerry' - surely the Treo 600 or 650 is better in many respects - so I'm told. :D

Morvran
12-14-2004, 05:28 AM
This is so weird...oh first of all, welcome to the board!

I have this "storage bin" in my '04, and I actually thought it was the norm. While I was XC shopping I didn't come across *any* that had a cupholder there except for a couple used ones and a loaner. Personally, I was like, "Why the heck would they put (yet another) cupholder in this spot when you already have two for the front passengers?" I love the cubby-hole because it's a perfect fit for my cell phone or my iPod.

Anyway, I have no idea what the part number would be, and I really think that the cubby is standard now...maybe it just depends on what package you get in the States.

12-14-2004, 08:12 AM
I have seen it also in some volvo models! It is greate for Mobile phone as someone mentionend! I would be also interested to know what it would cost to replace cupholde with "hole".

I also would like to get rid of cupholders inside of armrest. I already adjusted it so that it do not move with lid. Because if you try to srore something inside, closing is diffucult. You have to lower first cup holder and set all of your stuff so that it fits there together lowering cup holder.

Where do we need all those cupholders?
i've looked into it, cost from my dealer in near Philly is $130

arizonamike
12-15-2004, 06:35 PM
This is mostly to xc70fin. My 04 came with the storage space. I did not know that there were choices 'til I read the accessory manuel. I had my dealer remove those rear seat cup holders in the front center arm rest. He did not charge extra and I can not tell they were even there (I also wanted the storage room).

littlewaywelt
12-15-2004, 06:40 PM
i've looked into it, cost from my dealer in near Philly is $130
That's got to be wrong; it's a ballpark $30 part. He must be looking at the wrong part number, like to replace the whole plastic console.
I think there are enough people who want the other that trades could be worked out. ;)

xc70fin
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks arizonamike. I have to talk with my stealership!

I tryed to remove it by myself ansd result was not good because I should cover "hinge" with something.

I just made it so that it do not come up by itself when I open compartment!

12-16-2004, 08:47 AM
That's got to be wrong; it's a ballpark $30 part. He must be looking at the wrong part number, like to replace the whole plastic console.
I think there are enough people who want the other that trades could be worked out. ;)
the 130 may have been to install it but i specifically asked the dealer prior to picking it up what the cost would be to put that cup holder in the dash.

bouvier
12-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Our '03 came with a cubby ... which is a great place for sunglasses. I had been sitting my cell in it but short stops ended that!

Bouvier

littlewaywelt
12-16-2004, 12:18 PM
the 130 may have been to install it but i specifically asked the dealer prior to picking it up what the cost would be to put that cup holder in the dash.
If that's the case you're still getting ripped off or someone is making a mistake. Most dealers charge somewhere around $85.00/hour for labor and I think most members who have done it themselves would say that 1 hour or less is all that's needed. There are instructions in a pdf file somewhere on this site, I think explaining how to do it yourself.

Tom H
12-16-2004, 12:53 PM
My 04 XC70 has the infamous cubby hole also. I think it is shipped in models without the 803 audio and integrated phone.

12-16-2004, 01:34 PM
If that's the case you're still getting ripped off or someone is making a mistake. Most dealers charge somewhere around $85.00/hour for labor and I think most members who have done it themselves would say that 1 hour or less is all that's needed. There are instructions in a pdf file somewhere on this site, I think explaining how to do it yourself.
that's why i didn't have them install it. if i really wanted it, i would have done it myself and saved the labor. but that is the price they quoted me to have it installed.