PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sway bar links

johncal
09-10-2002, 05:51 AM
We just had our 2001 serviced by our local mechanic.  We have 23k miles on the XC.  He told us that he observed that there was an unusual amount of wear on the rear sway bar.  He said we might want to bring it to the dealer because it is probably covered under warranty.  

I have searched through the XC manual and warranty guide and can't even find a reference to rear sway bars. I understand that this has to do with the suspension.

Does anyone know exactly how this part is referred to by Volvo and whether in fact it would qualify under the warranty.

Thanks

Hiro's XC
09-10-2002, 06:11 AM
They, along with all suspension components except struts are covered under the warranty. Yes that is a bit fast, but if the car is loaded or driven hard or on bad roads, you can wear them out more quickly. It is not uncommon for a lot of german cars to eat them in 15-30K. I have had to replace lots of them on my Vw's and BMW's.

A good piece of advice is right before the warranty is going to expire have the dealer go through the whole car.

Jason

johncal
09-10-2002, 06:14 AM
Thanks very much Jason for the quick reply!

losgatos
09-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Agreed, it is odd that city and highway travel should cash the sway bars so early but that has been my '01 V70 XC's experience as well.  I have had both front and rear sway bars replaced as well as bushings in the front.  Best keep up on routine scheduled maintenace, imho.