PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Area Vent Removal

qeff
12-06-2004, 01:37 AM
I bought the full wall-to-wall vinyl cargo liner for the cargo area since my dogs are gonna be riding back there all the time.

The instructions for the cargo liner said to drill 5mm holes to secure one half of the hook-and-loop (read velcro) to the carpetted wall. I'm not too keen on drilling any holes on the car and I'm thinking of removing the two side vents' plastic panel and mounting the velcro from the inside (sticking out).

Can anyone provide any advice on taking the plastic panels off?

Has anyone installed the cargo liner and not drilled?

-qeff-

v70+xc70
12-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Velcro will often stick successfully to car carpet. Try that at first.

barrysharp
12-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Can anyone provide any advice on taking the plastic panels off?

Has anyone installed the cargo liner and not drilled?

-qeff-

Sometimes a quick call to the local dealership's Part Dept to ask a question like this can yield good results. I find the Parts Dept will even look up on their computer how something is installed and help me over the phone. Try this approach.

Artz
12-06-2004, 10:30 AM
We bought the cargo liner and just laid it down. No drilling, velcroing, or anything. It is fitted to the cargo area and stays in place just fine.

Art

littlewaywelt
12-06-2004, 10:57 AM
We bought the cargo liner and just laid it down. No drilling, velcroing, or anything. It is fitted to the cargo area and stays in place just fine.

Art
I think they are talking about a different liner that also lines the sides, covering the seat back carpet and the sides of the cargo area.

Artz
12-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Makes sense - now I can see why the discussion about how to install such a liner.

qeff
12-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your reply. There's only one dealership here in Singapore... and they said to drill.

Sticking the velcro onto the carpet was the first thing I tried. It used to work on my other cars but the MY05 XC70 has non-looped carpet fibres. In a way, its fantastic to clean as the doggy fur and crumbs don't get lodged inside. Unfortunately, it also means that the one half of the velcro on the liner has nothing to *hook* onto.

Yeah, the liner I'm talking about is the one that covers the walls and the seat-backs and comes with a bumper-protector.

I've tried everything. I still think the best solution is getting the vent panel off and securing one half of the velcro from beneath and snapping the panel back on.

CrazyTiger
12-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Hey qeff.... remember me?! Met you at SM motors on the day you picked up your brand new baby!! Mine is running real smooth... have fun driving! Keep in touch! -- Patrick :cool:

XC70Geo
12-07-2004, 03:56 AM
I have the same linier. The dealer drilled the carpet. It works and looks fine. You a some sheet manual in the box how to do it.

mxstanl
12-08-2004, 05:15 PM
What was the price of this cargo liner? I am getting a price of 210.00 U.S. from my local dealer. I had this liner in my 03 XC70 until it was totalled by a rear end collision with a semi! We have a new 05 and I would like to get this liner for it as well. Thanks in advance for cheaper sources. Also, if the price is not correct, can you supply the volvo part number of what you got?

qeff
12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
The part numbers in our catalogue here are:

V70 00- 8641 722
XC 01-
2-part rear seat 8641 722
3-part rear seat 8685 516

I paid the same price as you did.

qeff
12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
So, does anyone know how to remove the vent panels? Or shall I just *pop* it off?:confused:

Willy
12-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi,
I hadn't been following this thread. Give some time (if I don't forget one day :)) to look it up, I think I can help you. If the instructions (pdf) won't be too large I will post them here, otherwise I will drop them somewhere on the web.
Until then,
Willy

AWD*V70XC
12-10-2004, 03:08 PM
On Saturday I will post a picture of a brand new cargo liner, this liner has not been available before and I have talked about it before as well so as I have one of the production line I will photo it and let me know what you think.

To give you some idea it will carry loads of water in it without spilling a drop in the car. More tomorrow :D

kat
12-10-2004, 04:13 PM
So, does anyone know how to remove the vent panels? Or shall I just *pop* it off?:confused:

I have one of these and installed it myself, took about 15 mins only because I was being careful, would have taken no more than 5 max had I known it was so little effort.

Use a thininsh bit and its basically plastic you are drilling into , carpet gets twisted on the bit but not that much. Its fits quite tight around the rear hatches that it hooks into but I have used it many a time and can 100% recommend it whoever puts it in.

Any questions, let me know

Willy
12-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Hello again,
Uploading the instructions now, success.
Willy

qeff
12-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Wow! Thanks! The pdf is so professional looking... did you put it together yourself? I'm going to take the panel off tonight.:)

Hope I'm not pushing it here but... I was also trying to remove the rear trunk door's inner panel too - to overlay the current carpet uphostery with a nice piece of black vinyl. I see four torx screws which are quite easily removed. And I could pop off the two lowest corners but got stuck there. Is it easy to remove the rear panel and putting it back? I'm worried that wires and parts may get misplaced or fall off if I yank too hard. :(

qeff
12-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Just visited the dealer. Removing the rear panel's easy too. Remove the four torx screws and pop the panel straight out. There're 8 pop-in fasteners - 4 on the top 1/3 portion and 4 on the bottom 1/3 portion, all in a straight line. Putting it back is the reverse.

However, the upholstery is held in place at the back with plastic *melted* rivets... thus, quite permanently held in place.:(

Willy
12-13-2004, 02:31 AM
Hi,
Good to hear it went without problems.
I only made the pdf, the original data was assembled by someone in Goteborg I think :D
I understand you don't need extra info (for now).
Willy

qeff
12-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks Willy.

I think that's about covered it... unless you have advice on how to *stuff* the vinyl between the carpet upholstery and the plastic frame - this is for the trunk's inner panel. The plastic rivets are held on pretty tightly and I only managed to get into those areas far between rivets.
I spent about 3 hours on that alone last night and haven't had a chance to fiddle around with the side vent covers.

Willy
12-14-2004, 12:04 AM
No, I am sorry, I have no experience with the liner so far.
Willy

qeff
12-15-2004, 12:45 AM
It took me almost 4 hrs but I did it! I removed the rear panel, placed/stuffed a nice piece of black vinyl over the carpeted upholstery, tightened it at the back with industrial strength double-sided tape, snapped the panel back on...

Here's the result::D
http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/10001/Mug%20shots%20007.jpg
http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/10001/Mug%20shots%20002.jpg

<still brimming>

coastal
12-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Thread's all fixed up, thanks... Looks great :D

xc70fin
12-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Wow, That is cool looking! Much better than I was thinking!

qeff
01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks! And it costs less than US$10 to get it done. Just some vinyl sheet from Spotlight and a couple of rolls of duct-tape for holding the back down. Ought to have used cobbler's glue but I didn't want to marr the insides/behind.