PDA

View Full Version : K&N Filter

Ron3KL
07-28-2002, 07:15 AM
Having previously fitted a K&N Air Filter to a Volvo with good results I decided even before I bought my XC to do the same again.

I ordered it in February and, after a big stuff up State side, it finally arrived in Australia last week. Fitted it a couple of nights ago and the result is simply magic.

Whilst in theory there should be a small increase in peak power and torque, that is not what I have noticed in particular. The whole power delivery appears to be smoother and in particular the jerky high revving cold winter start mode that other folk here have commented on seems to be much improved. The effect of a K&N filter on a turbo engine seems to be much more pronounced than the normally aspirated engine of the 850 I had before.

Anyone else got a K&N fitted to an XC? Comments?

For info: K&N catalogue number 33-2176. Cost in Australia was AUD$130 which is about US$71 (AUD$118 / US$65 before local tax).

{EDIT} Just discovered Pastor John's post of Feb 04 on this same topic. Worth reading his and Scott's comments. My experience seems to be in keeping with Pastor John's. Also note that the filter price in the US is much cheaper. {END EDIT}

{2nd EDIT - 4 days later} My comments about the winter start mode may have been premature. Although it is better, this morning was the coldest morning we've had for weeks and, yep, the car was pretty sluggish. Other comments still stand. {END EDIT}

daniel
07-28-2002, 10:21 AM
I have BMC filter.
Yes i have a small increase in peak power and torque.
I am content with this filter http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

BangkokXC
07-28-2002, 06:40 PM
I'll have to give it a try.  I'll get a friend to ship one over for me.

Thanks for the tip.

Wayne

Hiro's XC
09-08-2002, 07:33 PM
I know the results are good, but watch the intake PAST the air filter for grime. These when clean flow a fair amount of dust. Even when oiled corectly. I have seen more than a few BMW and a TON of VW failures related to bad filter set ups. Mostly failed MAF's (mass air flow sensors) VW has issues with there, but BMW does not. Also I have seen several TDI's VW's with the turbo blade worn down a LOT due to the abraision over 70-100K miles. I would recommend staying with paper and changing every 10-15K. 20-40k miles is WAY to long. Cheap insurance for your investment, and a clean filter saves fuel too.

Jason

Ron3KL
09-09-2002, 07:14 AM
With the K&N filter in particular they have recognised the danger of air getting past the filter and now supply a tube of synthetic grease with the kit that is used to seal around the edge of the filter box. A bit trickier to fit than the previous one I had but makes sense.

wiz
09-09-2002, 07:50 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">after a big stuff up State side[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ron3KL what is such a thing? Just looking to widen my cultural horizons here... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif