PDA

View Full Version : Happy anniversary to my family and the XC

gibbons
12-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Well, it's been a year and 12K miles since we bought our XC. And it has been a fabulous first year.

1. We have never had a car so satisfying. After a year, we still talk about how nice it is. It was definitely a departure from our norms, we usually drive sure-shot stuff like Honds and Infinitis.

2. If I was a gazillionaire, I would still drive one of these.

3. Come on, you gotta admit that these are odd looking cars. But that's about half of what makes them so endearing. It makes my heart go pitter-patter every time I walk up to it in a parking lot :p

4. It is the best reliability and initial build quality of any car I have ever had. That actually surprises me, I expected problems but figured that whatever the hassle, it would be worth it.

5. My wife climbed in to be the other night, and out of the blue said, "I love.." After two words, I expected to hear "you." But instead she said "the Volvo." :rolleyes: She didn't say it to be funny, she was serious. Prior to the XC, a car was merely transportation to her. She often said she wanted her own beater-mobile so she could park where ever she wanted to and not worry about me getting mad about door dings. This car has changed her feelings towards automobiles.

This car is good stuff.

John@CdnRockies
12-04-2004, 09:20 AM
You had beter keep an eye on her Gibs. Any woman who would switch allegiance to a vehicle after putting up with you all these years needs careful attention. I'd suggest a dozen long-stemmed roses to climb back onto the top of the pyramid.:D

Seriously, our machine also came with zero defects. Purely subjective, but I would rate the initial quality as among the best of any car we have owned.

Guess I was falling into the Volvo-love trap as well. Drove it at every opportunity and racked up the miles accordingly. Faye finally suggested we leave it on the island for a couple of months to even out the monthly kilometrage numbers! Can't wait to pick it up in February and return it to Calgary for the bulk of the skiing season.

John

coastal
12-04-2004, 09:20 AM
funny, we've brought up all these points before too, and even just last night we were talking about how great it is to have the perfect car for our needs... Just makes everything just a little nicer. :)

bigtomhammer
12-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Hey Gibbon's, hard to believe that it has been a year since being in Sweden. I was just thinking about this on the 1st of December cause that is when ours was delivered to MN. Time flies.

Tom

BTW, thinking about having a 4th child so the V70 AWD will have to go and we will "HAVE" to go back to Europe to get a XC90. We shall see.

gibbons
12-04-2004, 02:29 PM
If I got my wife a dozen roses, I would get in trouble :) When it's flower time, I only get one, and it's mutually understood that it's the thought that counts, and the money for the extra 11 could be used for something else.

My wife is actually our money manager and is very conservative. So she was really resistant to getting the XC. She thought another Subaru would do just fine. A Volvo and a Subaru are the same thing, only different, right? Anyway, I remember driving to the dealer to pay for the XC and pick it up. She had an anxiety attack and freaked out, tears and everything. We turned around and went home. I called the dealer and told him the deal was off but I would still pay him the documentation fees since he had written it up and done all the state paperwork.

Overnight, she got her courage up and we decided again to buy it. Now she loves it and says it was worth the money. If we needed another car right now, we would get a second XC.

AWD*V70XC
12-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Well, it's been a year and 12K miles since we bought our XC. And it has been a fabulous first year.

3. Come on, you gotta admit that these are odd looking cars. But that's about half of what makes them so endearing. It makes my heart go pitter-patter every time I walk up to it in a parking lot :p

This car is good stuff.When we are in a funy mood and there is a lot of people around the lot we walk past our car and look at it as if to say "boy we would like a car like that" and then return to it a short while later with all the people still looking. It certainly is an eye catcher.

Glad you have had a happy twelve months so far and like wise our next car will be..... another XC70 as well:D