PDA

View Full Version : Negatives With OSD?

JJWMDO
11-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Hello all. This is a great forum and i've found it to be an invaluable resource as we research our (hopefully) new vehicle, XC90 V8!
Was wondering if there are any members who know of any bad experiences with OSD? We are looking at OSD with our local dealer but they seem to be very inexperienced and we fear a potential disaster. Any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JW

McCall
11-30-2004, 11:37 AM
I just completed my trip to Sweden and the whole experience is great!!!

The only downside is the time lag between making the decision to purchase, and how long it takes to get your car delivered back in the states. If you can be patient, its a wonderful program.

I wouldn't worry too much about your dealer. Most of the details are handled directly by Volvo...so your dealer can't really screw it up too much.

Try and take advantage of your time in Europe as best you can. I regret that we only had time for 6 days. I would have liked to spend several weeks touring Europe.

Good luck.

laps
12-01-2004, 04:40 PM
I'm in a similar situation although I have more concerns ordering a XC90 V8 than the OSD process itself. I know people personally who've done OSD and they all rave about it. JW, have you tried to place an order for your V8?

JJWMDO
12-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Laps,

We are in the process now and i am not confident in my local dealer as they clearly have done much less research than i. Nevertheless, we are looking to get on the list and are hoping to be successful, although i believe my situation may be a bit different than yours as we have a bit more time to play around to get another vehicle and the V8 is not the end all for us, as we have fallen into that trap before. Good luck and i'll let y'all know how we fare.

JW

MD-Daddy
12-02-2004, 06:20 AM
Good luck and i'll let y'all know how we fare.
JW

JW,

Since you've planned on having sufficient time to play around while over there you've considered my only negective. We wished we'd stay longer than a week to see more of the area and the people.

SAS seats appear to be designed for the 5'8 150 lb human. My pregnant wife was well under those apparent limits but found the width of the seats as well as the plywood seat cushion uncomfortable. The SAS staff were amazing; they checked on us regularly and were very responsive to our needs.

The connecting flights thru Denmark might get hairy. The security at the airport was severely understaffed when we went thru... we literally were doing an OJ thru the airport in order to make our connecting flight to Gottenborg. We made it with enough time for our 2 year old to play in the childrens playground next to the gate. NOTE: Its cheaper to buy your "Duty-Free Stuff" in Sweden then to buy it in Denmark, the plane, or back in the US.

We had a fantastic time and found the experience very memorable for us and our 2 yr old. The people of Sweden are graticious and overtly friendly. Do not be afraid to ask questions of the locals; you will find them VERY interested to speak with native English speakers. They are taught the kings english so whenever they come across someone that speaks street (not a hiphop refernce) english they are eager to listen.

Enjoy!!! You will have a BLAST!

MD-Daddy
12-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Hello all. This is a great forum and i've found it to be an invaluable resource as we research our (hopefully) new vehicle, XC90 V8!
Was wondering if there are any members who know of any bad experiences with OSD? We are looking at OSD with our local dealer but they seem to be very inexperienced and we fear a potential disaster. Any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JW

JW,

We found our area Vovlo dealers more eager to sell cars off their lots then to offer "Volvo For Life" trips to pick up there cars at the factory. Its was AFTER we received our car that a dealers salesman became interested in the program and our expereinces.

We bought our XC70 thru "William" on this board. The process was simple as we were guided thru each step by William. I spoke with him and corresponded via eMail regualrly before, during, and after the sale.

We choose to have our XC70 delivered to a dealership in No. Virginia near our grandpa. He's been a Volvo driver since joining the 87th in 1941 and got a kick out of us continuing his tradtion.

The delivery process was fairly simple; we tracked the car across the Pond and recieved two calls from the delivering salesman in NoVA. Since I did not buy it thru them I feel that they played us a tad thou...even with an appt to pickup our car we waited 45 minutes while the salesman "arranged the paperwork." Seems he needed some help as he was speaking and showing cars to two other couples during his "arranging" of our paperwork.

Negatives? Time. Not enough in Sweden. We spent 6 days and really ought to have stayed for 13-14 days. We did met one couple that was doing the weekend delivery; arriving Friday AM for delivery, then on a flight the next morning back home. I could not recommend that UNLESS it the only way.

Enjoy!!! its a great place to take a drive!

bigtomhammer
12-04-2004, 08:22 AM
I think the only negative is the fact that you have to pay 30 days in advance and VCNA will not finance the car since they never "offically" own the car. And most banks won't finance the car since there is no VIN number produced yet. Other than that, it is a great experience. I can't wait to do it again.

BTW, I used to live in Garland and know your area alittle. What dealership are you buying from (Volvo of Richardson I would assume would be the closest.).

Tom

travelkids
12-22-2004, 04:14 PM
In '02, I ordered my Volvo XC via OSD. The dealer was out of Reno, Nevada. As you have encountered they seemed to be a little green about the process. The OSD experience was work. The dealer (management) informed me of nothing about details about the process. Volvo's 800 number becomes invaluable. The entire process was a mess. Even when I arrived in Sweden it was well below what was expected.

When I wrote to a Volvo big wig, I never received a response. The process was flawed from day 1. The details??? If you are really interested I can post them.

Would I do it again for the free vacation??? Yes! The experience gained from fjords in Norway, Car ferries, Ice Hotel and Stockholm was fantastic!

I recommend calling the 800# and asking Volvo who is a good dealer to go with with OSD. Do your homework(what and when it should happen. If in doubt or question, call 800#. Check the website often.

May I recommend, taking the Volvo's driver course if offered. I arranged my pick up date to take it! Fantastic day! Go to the Volvo museum and tell them you bought a new Volvo, can you have a free tour?? Factory tour was okay. Lunch....Swedish Meatballs A++, really! If you want a great deal, order your options such as Floormats, skid plates, options your dealer installs at the factory pick up center, big savings!!! We purchased the optional picnic table there saved 50%!

I ordered my car several months in advance, they kept changing the package prices and gave bigger discounts on certain items, also added DSTC. Quickly caught them on the website and called the 800 number directly, they got in touch with the Volvo rep in LA. CA. and honored all price changes.

The dealer will help make the experience a better one, if you get one that is knowledgeable and happy to do OSD.

I would do it again, even though the process was a joke from me bringing in the price list from the website so the dealer could the write up the agreement to Volvo loosing my car a the port and the many other problems in between.

If you can stay kicked back about the process you should enjoy it!

The dealer to this day is bad in every way, not just OSD :mad:

JJWMDO
12-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks to all who have replied and given invaluable input. We are in the process of ordering our vehicle but not through our local dealer, Volvo of Richardson, as they seemed less than enthusiastic about the OSD process and have basically ignored our queries. We are very apprehensive to say the least but will hope for the best. We are hoping to have delivery in May, does anyone have any feedback about Sweden at that time of the year?
This board is an awesome resource.

JW

MD-Daddy
12-27-2004, 08:08 AM
We are hoping to have delivery in May, does anyone have any feedback about Sweden at that time of the year?

We picked up our XC this past May at the factory. Its just after the thaw and shops and people are all out and about... its a good time of the year.

The weather reminded me of May in New Hampshire. Warm sunny days and sweater cool nights. The roads are under repair about that time... we found a pothole that nearly consumed our XC; I missed the sign that warned me of the danger-my fault. The ferries are all running too.

May (Mothers Day) is a great time to visit! Enjoy!

MDD