PDA

View Full Version : Performanced Reduced error

trysha
12-11-2001, 01:35 AM
Hello everyone.

I have a story with a question.
While driving down the interstate with cruise control on at about 70mph i was going up a grade. For some reason, the car determined that it needed to downshift and then immediately went into a "performance reduced" mode and it wouldn't let me go above 2000rpm.

This put me in a very dangerous situation. I couldn't get above 45mph, even with manually shifting. I was forced to pull off the side of the road, shut the car off and restart it to clear the error. Under more sane circumstances, i can repeat it by using the accelerate buttons while having the car climb a hill.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior? I assume this is merely a bug in the on-board computer, and
I'm planning on telling them when i go in for service. But it'd be interesting to know if anyone else has had this happen to them.

coastal
12-11-2001, 01:52 AM
Hi trysha and welcome to the site, glad to have you!

Sudden downshifts have been a noted issue in some geartronic equipped cars but this one sounds to be different since I haven't heard of an instance where a "Performance Reduced" message is displayed.

When we first got our car, we had a few clunky shifts at low speed going around a right hand uphill corner. This happened about 15-20 times within the first 1500 kms, haven't had the problem since.

This can be replicated by using the cruise control and not the gas pedal? At what speed? I know from other cars its suggested not to use the cruise on speeds below 60kph, perhaps this is a contributing factor?

What year is your car?

Hope all goes well for you. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

trysha
12-11-2001, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I cannot beleive i didn't put the year --

I have a Polar Arctic Blue 2001, it's only 3 months old to me, but it sat around on the lot for a long time. I should have waited for the 2002, but I am impatient.

I can reliably replicate the problem using only the cruise control's buttons at speeds around 65-75mph. It happens at rpms just over 2500, if i recall correctly.

My car has the auto-stick in it.
The shifting does seem a little strange, but i'm getting used to it.

As a side note, i replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket kenwood head unit, mp3 changer, amplifier, and new speakers all around - i'll post pictures and a "how i did it" if folks seem interested.

I guess that would be a good question, what do Volvo dealerships think about modified cars? Are they going to have a fit the next time i show up with it and scream that i've invalidated the warranty? I did specifically make all my modifications such that the car can be restored to factory condition with minimal fuss (i.e. rather than splice into the existing dash wiring, i built a wiring harness for the new radio, that sort of thing)

coastal
12-11-2001, 02:56 AM
Sounds like a great set up, I for one am very interested in seeing photos of your system setup. The only other modded audio system I've seen so far is from a member of the Volvo Cross Country Club of Japan. There's some photos of hishere! (http://www.v70xc.com/pics/volvo-cross-country-club-of-japan/index.html)

Perhaps we could do a feature article on the process and the results? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

In terms of the shifting issue, it's a (relatively) good thing that the problem seems to be isolated to the cruise control. Definately an issue to bring up with the dealer as I haven't heard of such a problem. Not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination, just that I've read thousands of posts and this is a new one to me!

I can see how, in some cases, things like lowering or chipping can raise warranty concerns, but I don't think your dealer's going to have a problem with audio upgrades.. at least he shouldn't...

pveatx
12-13-2001, 08:12 AM
My Volvo XC (2001) with geartronic had it's 30.000km service past November. After I picked up the car I also noted different shifting patterns (i.e downshifting without slopes or acceleration) for the first 100 kms. After that it disappeared.

I had to be at the dealer anyway and I asked them about it. Apparently they loaded new software for the Geartronic (and the built-in mobile phone system, but that is besides the point).

The software for the Geartronic is very smart. It learns about your driving style. Normally I drive gently, not accelerating away at a great speed, and upshifts take place early (at 2000 RPMS) and smoothly. When this is noticeable, for when you then try to accelerate away quickly, it still shifts up early.

However, if you drive the car hard for say 30 mins, the shifting pattern has changed completely, pulling right through to 3500 or 4000 rpm and shifting down when pushing the accelarator.

So, the dealer explained the behaviour as: the software needs to find it's way again after having been reloaded. And I must say, it doesn't happen anymore.

However, I've never seen any "performance reduced" messages.

Peter

losgatos
08-23-2002, 11:44 AM
I've had the 'Perfomance Reduced' message come up and it bodes ill for my 2001 V70 XC.  Let's see, where to begin....Aside from the numerous light bulbs (both low beam headlights and a handful of 'position' lights (rear running light), the expected brakes and tires (did I mention that I have 68K miles on it?), the car has had bushings, sway bars, and even a bearing (wheel) replaced.  Modern day Volvo mechanics seem to rely on codes so when this Performance Reduced light came on, the dealership mechanic checked out the codes and determined that I should replace the throttle module.  At lt 70K miles?!  Ayep.  That and perhaps the pedal assembly/module.  I am not impressed any more with modern day Volvos.  I went through Volvo 7734 with my '99 S70 AWD and seem to be making a return trip with this vehicle.  Word to the wise: get an extended warranty when it comes to vehicles like these that rely heavily on electronics and computers.  Message to regional representatives go unanswered after 50K and when some do return the call, you might get parts at 50% but that's about it.  Any self-respecting company would replace such defective equipment, imo.  I for one would be out of a job if my workmanship were so shoddy.  So, before the other error lights come up, like Service Engine Immediately or Engine System Error, get yer codes checked.

08-25-2002, 03:30 AM
If a dealer says you have to replace parts after reading the VADIS diagnostic codes I can only say that they are trying to rip you off.
The Diagnostic system has a downside which you could call a flaw.
One error can be related to a lot of things.
The reduced power mode with the 2000 rpm/no boost limit is related to a turbo or MAF sensor failure.(There's also a 4000 rpm mode, maybe more)
Why or, because the reading of the turbo pressure doesn't relate with the reading of the MAF (Air mass) sensor.
I guess the message tells something about an overboost situation.
It could be that the turbo wastegate actuator responded late when the gearbox shifted and this would cause a short peak boost and probably going over the preset safety limits of the motor management system.
If the MAF is broken it gives a constant airflow reading which causes the system to read a difference between de boost and air mass.

About the Throttle body, there's a service bulletin about a TB cleaning procedure.

losgatos
08-27-2002, 12:53 PM
scheiss, i went ahead and had the throttle module replaced.
 thanks for the lowdown.  i'll post and monitor well before the next 'diagnostic' from the dealer gets remedied.

newv70xcmom
08-18-2004, 11:36 AM
[
About the Throttle body, there's a service bulletin about a TB cleaning procedure.[/QUOTE]

Where would I find a copy of that service bulletin

littlewaywelt
08-19-2004, 03:25 PM
http://www.alldata.com/

ChicagoXC
12-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Hello -
I have read all of the posts about the "performance reduced" messages, but my problem is closest to Trysha's. Yes, it's been 6 years, but she's got exactly what I got...

"Performance Reduced"
2000 RPM Max
ONLY happens when in cruise control

Anyway, my update is that I actually got codes (I put on the reader while on the side of the road, engine still running, amber warning triangle a blaring.)

P1651
P0234
P0455

Seems the OVERBOOST thread was right on the money. I knew I had a faulty MAP sensor, but I never replaced it because I don't care. Well, now I guess I gotta!

Thanks.

PS.. Any info or insight would be great... Again.. driving 65mph.. cruise control.. UP a hill.. automatic accelerate and downshift.. BLAM... Warning.. 2000 RPM max... limp mode with codes and mesage! Key off, restart.. reset like nothing happened!

yish...
10-26-2009, 02:45 AM
same thing happened to me last week. Does a new MAF sensor fixes this problem?

levpri
11-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Last week I parked my car (02 XC) in the evening in front of my house with display showing 1/8 gas level. My street has a pretty good slope, I always park nose down. Anyway - next morning car wouldn't start and showing this 'Reduced Engine Performance' error. I feared already some $$$ repairs and was ready to have it towed to dealer. But decided to add some gas (1.5 gal) and the car started and the message went away. What a relief...
I've been buying recently Stop & Shop gas (93), I wonder if it's cr@p.