PDA

View Full Version : Volvo racks cheaper than REI?

chuckyg
11-22-2004, 03:50 PM
I was at the Volvo Dealer today and the rack-towers and cross bars for the XC70 are $139? REI shows same product @ $205. Could this be? Or am I missing something? :confused:

littlewaywelt
11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
I was at the Volvo Dealer today and the rack-towers and cross bars for the XC70 are $139? REI shows same product @ $205. Could this be? Or am I missing something? :confused:
Usually it's the other way. Are you definitely comparing the same items? There are multiple towers/feet that clamp onto the rails and different sets of cross bars.
At REI figure in your REI dividend or the annual rack sale.
At Volvo figure in your VCNA parts discount if you have it.

PDXXC
11-22-2004, 05:56 PM
As long as you have the stock Volvo roof rails:
The Volvo square cross bars are about $130-$135 before the $25 rebate good until Dec 31st, 2004 and attach directly to the stock rails.

The setup from Yakima needs a cross bar set at $55 and a tower set at about $130. Total cost is over $200. Locks are an additional $40.
The Yakima cross bar is round while the Volvo/Thule are square. REI sells the Yakima square to round adapters for $8 for a set of four.
I looked at the same setup last weekend and went with the Volvo bars. I'll buy the actual bike or ski mounts from Yakima.
The only advantage of the Yakima rack that I can tell is the fact that the Yakima towers can be locked to the car while the Volvo/Thule systems uses a really long cutomized Torx setup to tighten the cross ars onto the stock roof racks.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jorge

chuckyg
11-22-2004, 06:07 PM
cool! :)
how do you get the $25 rebate? That rebate will help me on the SpaceBooster Box purchase!

littlewaywelt
11-22-2004, 06:17 PM
As long as you have the stock Volvo roof rails:
The Volvo square cross bars are about $130-$135 before the $25 rebate good until Dec 31st, 2004 and attach directly to the stock rails.

The setup from Yakima needs a cross bar set at $55 and a tower set at about $130. Total cost is over $200. Locks are an additional $40.
The Yakima cross bar is round while the Volvo/Thule are square. REI sells the Yakima square to round adapters for $8 for a set of four.
I looked at the same setup last weekend and went with the Volvo bars. I'll buy the actual bike or ski mounts from Yakima.
The only advantage of the Yakima rack that I can tell is the fact that the Yakima towers can be locked to the car while the Volvo/Thule systems uses a really long cutomized Torx setup to tighten the cross ars onto the stock roof racks.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jorge
I'm not sure about that setup. My thule towers are locked to my factory rails with one simple key.
Yakima uses many more plastic parts than thule which I see as a disadvantage. We used to get broken yak parts back from customers on a regular basis at the climbing shop I worked at when I was in school. I'm still using Thule parts & racks from 1988.

Sasquatch
11-22-2004, 06:38 PM
2x3's cost less than $5 each and will allow you to strap on your skis.

;-)

PDXXC
11-22-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure about that setup. My thule towers are locked to my factory rails with one simple key.
Yakima uses many more plastic parts than thule which I see as a disadvantage. We used to get broken yak parts back from customers on a regular basis at the climbing shop I worked at when I was in school. I'm still using Thule parts & racks from 1988.

I was just quoting the prices between the stock Volvo/Thule keyless setup to the Yakima equivalent. YMMV. Oh and I'm still using Yakima parts from the days when they made anodized cross bars and were sold out of a guys garage. The point is that both Yakima and Thule make decent mounts and accessories these days with a few exceptions.
My volvo dealer had a coupon for rebates on various accessories posted on the sales floor and at the parts counter. The higher the accessory price, the greater the rebate.

Cheers,
Jorge

Sasquatch
05-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Volvo/Thule/Yakima.

Any one better than the other? Any good online place to get these? Thanks, and have a great Memorial Day weekend!

striperhound
05-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I prefer Thule's (just installed third set) because of the rectangular bars. Yakima uses round bars and mounted accessories rotate around the bar.