PDA

View Full Version : XC dreams fading.....

Timbob
11-18-2004, 07:23 PM
The car I won the bidding war on is fading away. The seller is not responding to my emails and I fear he has sold to some underhanded email bidder or local! Ebay sucks!
Over, Tim

cetaft
11-18-2004, 07:38 PM
You can use a feature on ebay to get his name and phone number... it's "locate member" or something on the site map.

BTW, what is his feedback? Any history of this before? Possibly - just possibly - his mail tosser's down... give it another try and/or call before writing it off.

Raynald
11-18-2004, 07:39 PM
I've heard things about Ebay (or for that matter about other auctions as well) that some sellers were selling things to themselves under false names, auto-congratulating on their selling/buying performance just to increase their rating and thus achieving high scores for customer satisfaction and winning "best seller" awards. :eek:

Urban legend... Who knows, I'm not an expert! :rolleyes:

To bad...

gibbons
11-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Man, don't do bidding wars! There is a proxy bid site called esnipe.com. To use it, you enter the auction number for the item you want to bid on. Then, in a rational state of mind, you enter what the maximum amount you will pay is. Then, 7 seconds before the auction ends, esnipe submits the sneaky bid for you. Then, you either win, or get out bid. But you didn't get crazy at the last minute and bid a silly amount, or prematurely signal your intentions which triggers bidding wars.

I use esnipe exclusively for bidding. The utility has never failed to do it's job for me. I win most of the time. When I don't, it's cuz the item ran up higher that I would have gone anyway. And since bidding is automatic, you don't have to be around to submit a bid right before the auction close.

This is actually a better tip than the tip about Duckey spot remover :D

coastal
11-18-2004, 09:58 PM
welcome to the site timbob, nice to have you aboard :)

and just a clarification... only your dreams with that particular XC are fading... There are plenty more out there waiting for ya :D

Bluegrass-XC
11-19-2004, 07:53 AM
I've heard things about Ebay (or for that matter about other auctions as well) that some sellers were selling things to themselves under false names, auto-congratulating on their selling/buying performance just to increase their rating and thus achieving high scores for customer satisfaction and winning "best seller" awards. :eek:

Urban legend... Who knows, I'm not an expert! :rolleyes:

To bad...
This is NOT an urban legend. Several people were recently convicted of fraud and hefty fines placed on them for this activity. Buyer beware.

Too Tall
11-19-2004, 08:40 AM
True true. There was a washington post article regards a conviction recently for a couple of "fellers" who ran up prices entering false bids.

Timbob
11-19-2004, 09:53 AM
It came out to $24.1K for a 2002 with 17K miles. The claim was divorce sale, excellant shape.
Over, Tim

TrueBlue
11-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Don't fret Timbob; you now have time to reflect and maybe wait for a 2003 model, seeo recent posts about snow, tyres, whatever.

2003+ is better.

Listening, Out.

MD-Daddy
11-19-2004, 11:15 AM
It came out to $24.1K for a 2002 with 17K miles. The claim was divorce sale, excellant shape.
Over, Tim

For another few thousand (ok, 8k) you can pick your new XC70 up at the factory! Its certainly well worth it.... www.kbb.com tells me that my XC70 we bought in April, picked up at the factory in June, and drove around Northern Virginia in late June is worth $1,000 more than we paid for it in April.

Raynald
11-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Looked pretty clean though...

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/ca/56/3e_2.JPG

Timbob
11-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Wow, that was some quick sleuthing!

Timbob
11-21-2004, 11:22 PM
The ebay seller finally emailed me that he had trouble getting online and seeing his email account and that he was sorry and had sold the car.
Well now I can take all the forum advice and find a NEWER one!
Thanks for the support, forumeers!
Over, Tim