PDA

View Full Version : Passenger seat headrest removal

tokyoXC90
11-15-2004, 06:17 AM
I was wondering if you good people know of a way to easily remove the front passenger seat headrest. My wife sits in the back seat, behind the front passenger, to be next to our 15-month old little girl, while our oldest sits in the front passenger seat using a junior seat. On our old Odyssey we could easily remove the headrest to give her a nice view of the road ahead.

Of course, when an adult sits up front I need to be able to easily replace it.

Thanks, in advance.

Big
11-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Interesting question that I can't answer although the service tech should know. I do know that it is not recommended for children to sit in the front seat because the force of the airbag can cause severe head and neck injuries. If you have the 2nd row center booster seat it is designed to move forward (remove the center console first) so a parent in the front seat can reach the child.

Carbsumer
11-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Because of the whiplash prevention system built into the front seats, you can't easily remove the headrest. I don't remember the technical issues, but someone on some forum somewhere discussed this with the Volvo techs, and that was the answer. :(

DocVijay
11-15-2004, 06:18 PM
I do know that it is not recommended for children to sit in the front seat because the force of the airbag can cause severe head and neck injuries.

His child is in the back. But so is his wife, which is why they want the headrest off. Considering he bought a Volvo, I'm sure he's aware of the safety aspects of where children should sit.

Raynald
11-15-2004, 07:06 PM
... while our oldest sits in the front passenger seat using a junior seat. (...);) It depends how old (or young) the child is. You can install a booster seat in front if it's not rear facing and if it complies with the seat manufacturer as position, age and weight of the child passenger. For that, there's even an isofix anchor on the front passenger seat as shown on the picture below (from Isofix Guide, part #9488822).

As for the headrest, as stated by Carbsumer, it can't be (easily) removed.

DocVijay
11-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Whoops, you're right. Somehow I missed that part of the post... :confused:

tokyoXC90
11-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks, everyone!

I appreciate the time and effort. I had a feeling it couldn't be done but thought someone might know of a "way".

As our youngest gets bigger, and moves up to a junior seat, we'll probably move mom back up front and let the girls take over the second row.

Again, thanks!

bandido
11-16-2004, 05:40 AM
It is very easy to remove the front headrests!! :D The release tabs are a bit hard to feel, but slide your fingers down the back of the seat, just as wide the headrest. You will feel 2 tabs, below the pleather, just before the indentation for the seat back area. Push in the buttons, one at a time, while lifting on the headrest, and it will slide right out.

Let me know if you need any pix...

DocVijay
11-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Ah, kinda like our old MErcedes. It's an easier task with two people. One can push the buttons, the other pulls up on the headrest. If that's it, then yes, it is easy.

Raynald
11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
It is very easy to remove the front headrests!! :D The release tabs are a bit hard to feel, but slide your fingers down the back of the seat, just as wide the headrest. ...Gee! I'll tell it to my tech! The procedure he described to me was much more complicated... :eek:

tokyoXC90
11-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks, bandido!

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. I think I'll also take DocVijay's advice and try doing it with another person.

cheers,