PDA

View Full Version : Prob: instrument cluster, most electrics shut down

tkirwan
04-29-2004, 12:08 PM
I have a serious problem. At times, the instrument cluster including speedo and tach, and most electrics, including brake lights, turn signals, windows, sunroof, etc. all stop at once. The headlights still work, and the radio and radio backlight also work. The only way to get them back is to turn off the car, then restart.

One other thing, before this occurred, usually a spurious error message would appear on the message display.

It happened several times within two days, and we took it to the dealer. It happened once for them, but they shut it off and restarted, and it hasn't happened since. They won't replace anything until they can get a diagnostic when it's occurring. The only stored diagnostic is for the SRS.

This is now the third day that they have had the car. They have been driving it a couple of hours a day to get it to reproduce again, but it hasn't. They have said that they can't replace a part until they have a diagnostic because they won't get the warranty reimbursement.

Has anyone see this? Any ideas?

tkirwan
04-29-2004, 01:03 PM
I forgot to mention that this is an '02 XC

AWD*V70XC
04-29-2004, 02:01 PM
The only reason I can think of is Keys, yes keys. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif There is no logic to this but this is what I have heard, and I will give my reason at the end.

I have only heard of this from dealers and then I was listening to them talk to someone else at the time. You have three keys, two normal and one valet key. The valet key does not open the pocket door and maybe the boot/trunk, this is the key you give the garage for servicing, well I heard that there is a chip in the collar of the key which talks to the chip that surrounds the key insert on the steering wheel, if after opening the door you do not insert the key quickly enough the computer will shut down certain parts of the car. It is part of Volvos anti theft ideas so that if someone breaks into the car they will not hack the system quick enough to start it so therefore parts start to shut down.

That said I have never had a problem when I wash the car and then drive it a hour later (after the key has been in my pocket and nowhere near the insert) so my theory is... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif IF you open the car with the key and then take your time starting the car it could cause these problems or if you have two keys on the same keyring the chip on the wheel does not know which key to read therefore goes into panic mode and stops certain parts of the car like you say.

Each key is unique to your car and can only be chipped/reprogramed a certain number of times (I think three times is the max) before it is useless so maybe if you can think about what key you have been using and what key you have given the garage then you might have a solution.

That's the only answer I can come up with bearing in mind you say the obc is not retaining any fault info. Hope this sheds some light on your problem, and BTW it does not matter what year you have they are all the same. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/nervous.gif