PDA

View Full Version : "Feather" light steering

rojah the boggah
11-09-2004, 01:27 PM
The steering "feel" on my 55,000 mile 2002 my V70XC has gradually got lighter, and the car is beginning to "wander" on the straight (by that I mean it seems to require more correction). It appears that the steering is getting lighter as time goes on, needs only 1 finger to steer at speed, and the whole plot seems looser than I remember when new. The car seems to roll a little more into corners.

Tyre pressures on my STR's are normal, as is wear on all 4 (only 16,000 miles on this the second set). I have had the steering tracking checked, and was OK and tyres rotated 5,000 miles ago. There does seem to be more "play" at the straight ahead position on the steering, about 2 degrees "waggle" either side of tdc before car moves

Car has a hard life on road (a work hard & play hard tool - metal does not have feelings), and hardly ever gets off road. Due for 5th service at 60,000 miles soon - any ideas as to what's wearing out or as to what I should get Garage to look for?

Otherwise everything so far has been great in the last 25 months.

Any help, ideas would be gratfully appreciated

Regards Rojah

AWD*V70XC
11-09-2004, 01:33 PM
I would get the tyre company to check the 'wobble' for you, they seem to give impartial advice and as they have it up on the ramp they will know what is wrong at a glance. Take it back to them and ask them to pop it on the ramp and they should allow you underneath with them and they can show you the problem, that way you can tell the dealer (or not) what is wrong and save the B$ which will result in a saving on your £££'s.

BTW where in the UK are you :confused:

rojah the boggah
11-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks mega post # Senior Man! Good ply, I'll take to the tyre dealer this week for a gleg.

I live & work in th' t' grim North in Lancashire, residing in the rural backwater of Tarleton & graftin' in Bolton.

Roj

Artz
11-09-2004, 08:12 PM
I would check the bushings that the rack and pinion steering attach to. The XC is a heavy car, and it can put strain on the bushings. I had the same symptoms on my Chrysler and it turned out to be the bushings. Over time, the bushings wore out and that caused there to be play in the steering. I know a Chrysler aint no Volvo, but it could provide a clue as to the problem. I recall it was at higher mileage (about 100,000), but it had gotten real bad, and it was a gradual loosening of the steering as you describe.