PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Volvo XC70 Recall - Brake Lights

NCVolvoXC
02-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I saw an article today detailing the big 3 automaker recalls. A few links later and I found this...from the NHTSA web site. Didn't see this posted anywhere else. Apologies if this is a duplicate post.

Report Date : February 9, 2004 at 01:04 PM
TYPE : VEHICLE
YEAR : 2002
MAKE : VOLVO
MODEL : V70XC

Results : 1 | All records displayed
Make : VOLVO Model : V70XC Year : 2002
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V051000 Recall Date : JAN 30, 2004
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 3242

Recalls Summary

Make: VOLVO
Model: V70XC
Year: 2002
Recall Number: 04V051000

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE REAR LEFT AND RIGHT BRAKE LIGHT RELAYS MAY NOT FUNCTION WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED OR MAY STAY ON CONTINUOUSLY. THE HIGH POSITIONED BRAKE LIGHT AND ALL OTHER TAIL LIGHTS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED.

Consequence:
IF THE BRAKE LIGHTS FAIL TO COME ON, THERE WILL BE NO LIGHTS TO INDICATE TO FOLLOWING VEHICLES THAT THE VEHICLE IS DECELERATING, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BRAKE LIGHT RELAY WITH TWO RELAYS OF A MODIFIED DESIGN. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.

Notes:
VOLVO RECALL NO. R131. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

AWD*V70XC
02-09-2004, 12:30 PM
May also apply to XC versions??

SafetyAlerts
January 23 2004

Volvo Has Recalled the 2004 V70
(SafetyAlerts) - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced.

Make : VOLVO Model : V70 Year : 2004

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V029000 Recall Date : JAN 16, 2004

Component: STEERING:LINKAGES

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 29986

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE FRONT CONTROL ARMS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED CORRECTLY AND, AS A RESULT, THE STUD AND NUT THAT SECURE THE ARM TO THE SPINDLE MAY LOSE THEIR INITIAL AXIAL TENSION. UNDER CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS, THE STEERING MAY BECOME LESS RESPONSIVE AND THE DRIVER MAY EXPERIENCE STEERING WHEEL PLAY.

Consequence:
THIS DRIVING CONDITION COULD EVENTUALLY LEAD TO SEPARATION BETWEEN THE FRONT CONTROL ARM AND THE SPINDLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW TYPE OF NUT. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLVO CARS AT 1-800-458-1552.

Notes:
VOLVO RECALL NO. R133. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

gbooth
02-29-2004, 06:28 AM
In a letter dated February 18, 2004, Volvo Canada has informed me that my V70 XC is the object of a recall designed to correct a defect related to the rear left and right brake light relays.

The letter says that "in some cases, the brake lights may not function when the brake pedal is depressed or may stay on continuously. In both cases the high positioned brake light and all other tail lights will not be affected."

The corrective action is to "replace the brake light relay with two relays of a modified design."

Has anyone acted on this recall?

Gordon in Ottawa

jeffhuffman
03-17-2004, 08:03 PM
took mine in today for the recall,only took the dealer 20 minutes to do the work and while they were at it they put a nice ding in my passenger  door.of course they wouldn't do anything about it.matches the one they put in my drivers door during my 7500 mile service.maybe need to find a new dealer.

RichS
04-28-2008, 07:44 AM
I've got a 2002 XC70 that exhibits the 'brake lights staying-on' issue as described in the Recall Bulletin posted here and elsewhere. I cannot tell if the (left & right) rear brake lights do not function while driving(!) but they certainly remain on from time to time after shutting the car off. Center light goes off, of course.

I printed a copy of the Recall Bulletin (thanks volvoXC.com!!!) and brought it to my local Volvo service center (Grossinger) who claimed no knowledge of any such bulletin and further claimed that the recall did not apply to my particular vehicle. Furthermore, they were not even able to see the problem - which is intermittant and admittedly tricky to spot.

They gave me the option of "doing the repair per the info I provided on my nickel" with no promise that that would fix the problem. No thanks!

I called Volvo HQ (in NJ). THey also claimed my vehicle shows "no recalls" so the implication is that the fix outlined in the service bulletin does not apply - because there is no problem[mad2].

FWIW, I took a look at the REM (rear electronic module) and it contains a single relay (not 2) as shown in the service bulletin.

Do you think that this problem might have another cause? Or should I just spring for 2 relays, put them in myself (forgo any support from Volvo) and hope that this fixes the problem?

Your thoughts?

Forkster
04-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Sounds like it to me.

Ask Volvo USA if the recall has been performed on your vehicle. If not, bring it in. Otherwise, threathen them that you'll call the NTSB and complain that Volvo isn't honouring their safety recall.

RichS
04-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Actually just got off the phone with 'NHTSA' (USA) and initiated the complaint process. Serial number of my vehicle is outside the affected range according to Volvo NA so recall does not "officially" apply to my vehicle. I am challenging that as it is unclear how Volvo determined at what point during the production run the problem occurred. After all, they did not decide there was a problem until 2 years after the cars were manufactured. Nonetheless, they claim to have pinpointed the date (in a letter I read to the NHTSA) when things went bad as May 13 2002 and traced the cause to an 'out-of-spec' batch of relays. My car was manufactured in April of 2002.

That said, my real question is COULD THERE BE ANY OTHER CAUSE for this problem? If the answer is no, I will just go out and buy the relays and put them in myself (before the battery dies again from lights being on & not knowing it - or worse!).

JRL
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
C'mon, be a little mature here.
ALL recalls usually take a couple (to several) of years before they come out (ALL manufacturers) and if yours is out of VIN range, THEN IT'S OUT OF VIN RANGE, simple as that
They know EXACTLY which models can or may be affected

RichS
05-06-2008, 09:37 AM
JRL, an answer to my question would have been appreciated.

I did a little digging (a good buddy of mine worked for Volvo up until last year) and learned from a Volvo engineer that all materials are date coded for traceability purposes (per ISO 9000 requirements). Indeed, engineers have a "VERY GOOD" idea of when a piece went into production. If there is any doubt for recall purposes, though, a bit of extra safety margin is added to the (recall) VIN range.

So it is NOT an EXACT science after all.

In any event, I replaced the one relay in question with 2 new ones - per the recall notice - a few days ago and so far, the problem has thankfully disappeared.

ggilbert1
09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
OK,, This brake light relay thing may be more widespread than North America. I have corrected the same fault in my 2003 XC 70 (Australia). There is no recall issued in Australia,,,yet. My guess is the small number of Volvo XC70s here allow the issue to slip by.

john.bryson
12-25-2011, 07:54 PM
My 2001 V70XC (Australian delivered) also had this fault. Replaced the single big relay with the two new smaller ones and the problem wnet away ...... for a couple of weeks anyway. I am now getting the "Check Brake Lights" warning message come up every time I put my foot on the brake, however the brake lights are actually working ??????? Pulled the relays and checked them on the bench and 12 volts across the primary circuit makes it click and closes the secondary circuit - so no problems with the relays.

Has anyone else had this problem or have a solution ?

cheers

JB