PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Members and growing

AWD*V70XC
10-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Well another major milestone was reached on Saturday, with our 2000th member. I seem to remember that I joined at about 1263 and steadily weekly members are joining at the rate of about 50 per week.

Anyway it is good to see that this site must be one of the most visited Volvo sites around the World and all of us have one of two things in common ~ our Cross Country

Keep up the good work, without YOU this site would not be the number 1 Cross Country site.

slender
11-11-2004, 09:58 AM
...AWD, but the one thing we all have in common is not a Cross Country - I for one do not possess one. Surely what we all have in common is an interest, possibly even an enthusiasm, in the Cross Country.

It was pointed out to me a while ago when I was considering leaving this forum after I had parted with my XC that this site is called VolvoXC.com not VolvoXC Owners Club.

Just a minor point but we don't want to alienate any prospective users.

And, what is the second of the two points we all have in common - I'm on the edge of my seat...I've not slept for days!!

TrueBlue
11-11-2004, 10:37 AM
This thread has given me an oportunity to make a suggestion that's been hanging around in my mind for a while now..

With so many components being common across the whole Volvo range, and possibly a blurring of functions between models, is it not time that the doors were opened slightly to encourage participation from Saloons and other Volvo wagons?

Perhaps a new forum called "S and V's". My SWIMBO has a V70, but I can't find any authoritative information elsewhere on this model. Nor can I find any Nokian tyres to fit in the UK, but that's another matter.

How's about it guys - and most importantly Coastal, who'll have to find space? Let's have a sensible discussion. I'm sure there's room for another Board without pinching anyone else's thunder.

philosophicaldreamer
11-11-2004, 11:23 AM
This thread has given me an oportunity to make a suggestion that's been hanging around in my mind for a while now..

With so many components being common across the whole Volvo range, and possibly a blurring of functions between models, is it not time that the doors were opened slightly to encourage participation from Saloons and other Volvo wagons?

Perhaps a new forum called "S and V's". My SWIMBO has a V70, but I can't find any authoritative information elsewhere on this model. Nor can I find any Nokian tyres to fit in the UK, but that's another matter.

How's about it guys - and most importantly Coastal, who'll have to find space? Let's have a sensible discussion. I'm sure there's room for another Board without pinching anyone else's thunder.

I know that there is good website dedicated to all types of Volvos known as brickboard.com When I had my previous three Volvos I used to go there for information. A lot of these guys who are hanging out on that board are very knowledgeable about volvos. They have saved me a lot of money in the past by sharing their advice. You might want to look into it. I believe you will find them quite helpful in regard to your wife's car.

Ta-ta, j.

TrueBlue
11-12-2004, 02:42 AM
PPD, if I may abreviate your handle, thanks for your post and I agree; there are some excellent othe Boards around, they just don't match the quality of this one.

More importantly, it seemed to me that if more models could be combined under one banner, then members might be able to see if there were common problems across the whole range - for example the iniquitous Throttle Body. V70 LPT's are (probably) fitted with them and maybe the naturally aspirated ones as well, and the 2.4 V50?

Given such information it may help peeps to exert some leverage over Volvo is needs be.

Just a thought...

coastal
11-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Personally, I think big part of this community's allure, at least originally, is/was the fact that we not only share the same marquee but more importantly the same, or very similar, model of vehicle. To add, my original goal was to provide a resource that was unique and didn't step on the toes of the other already established communities... eg SwedeSpeed, BrickBoard, VolvoSpy etc.

That said though, I have noticed that there are a large number of members owning more than one Volvo and in a few cases, no XC but a different model altogether.

How about this... We set up a new forum called Our Other Volvos or more broadly, Our Other Cars?

slender
11-13-2004, 03:07 AM
I agree with you 100%, Coastal.

I think it would ultimately be detrimental to the site to water it down too much with other model info. After all, it is primarily a site for XC owners, prospective owners and enthusiasts. I think the site meets your initial brief perfectly as it is currently is. That said I welcome your suggestion regarding 'Our Other Volvos/Cars'.

AWD*V70XC
11-13-2004, 03:31 AM
I agree with you 100%, Coastal.

I think it would ultimately be detrimental to the site to water it down too much with other model info. After all, it is primarily a site for XC owners, prospective owners and enthusiasts. I think the site meets your initial brief perfectly as it is currently is. That said I welcome your suggestion regarding 'Our Other Volvos/Cars'.

I second both Coastal's and slender's comments, watering the present XC site down (regardless of likeness of components) would be detrimental to the years of hard work and toil by all. While I am against to'ing & fro'ing between sites I think a second site would be better, rather than adding to the present one. I think it would lose the "finesse".

If a second site was added you could link your second car and tractor etc to it by way of your signature.

TrueBlue
11-13-2004, 04:32 AM
Coastal, Slender and AWD*,

Suggestions are fine by me; Coastal's suggestion of another forum on this site seems better than a completely new site with a different URL (with it's associated costs and revenue).

My main aim was to get a measure of cross fertilization of ideas and airing of common problems, so perhaps the title needs to be worked on ? "other Volvos and other cars", it need something to trigger the 'punter' into saying "Ah, yes I have that problem with my S80 or Subaru -(Whoops)"

Obviously needs further discussion, perhaps a new topic and more input from members?