PDA

View Full Version : Silver exterior with light sand interior?

XCelerate
10-31-2004, 01:52 AM
I am considering to trade in my current d5 for a new 2.5T (four-c, audio max, etc.). The exterior color I like best is silver. The interior color I like best is light sand with wood inlays and a wooden steering wheel. However, I'm not quite sure if these colors will match. Has anyone seen this color combination and have an opion about it? Any pictures available?

Willy
10-31-2004, 02:03 AM
I only have the outside color of your choice :) and of course, as the French say: les gouts et les couleurs ne se discuttent pas. That aside, it is worth considering that very light interiors may be more prone to dirt. On the other hand, the graphite interior I have is, well, quite gray.
One thing is certain: you are bound to love the 2.5T :)
Willy

TrueBlue
10-31-2004, 02:47 AM
For a silver car (are you going for "silver" or "pure silver" - this latter colour is exceptionally nice, and that from me who hates silver...), the answer has to be graphite.

I had a look at the UK Volvo used car site (www.volvoselectedusedcars.com) for which you'll need to key in a valid postcode, and ALL the silver cars had graphite interiors.

As soon as you go to the tints - Ash Gold and so on, then the interior choice becomes debateable.

An old sage of a salesman said to me - light interiors go with darker colours, and dark interiors with light exteriors.

A dark interior always looks smart even when the leather is a bit grubby and tired and the same for the carpets. Light Sand or Oak can look - well - nondescript.

kbdixon
10-31-2004, 04:31 AM
Yes I have seen it mostly in the Southern US Florida etc. and I though it was a very handsome look, especially with dark window tinting. I am not sure if this color combo is still offered have to check the website, also the light crystal green with sand is attractive also. All the web shows for color combo is Taupe/graphite here in the US with those exterior choices taupe is nice also (I have it in my '02 platinum and taupe) I do not see sand offered in the US spec XC70 at all or even the V70.
Regards,
Keith

ChuckK
10-31-2004, 06:16 AM
In previous years at least, a light interior meant a light dashboard. Many people have complained about distracting dashboard reflections in the windshield on sunny days. When I test drove cars, I personally found this so bad that I bought a car with the graphite interior and am very glad I did. But perhaps Volvo finally got the message and is using darker dashboards with the light interior. In any case, I recommend you test drive a car with the interior you want on a sunny day. Some people also like the graphite interior because they feel the interior colors are more uniform. I had some concern about the dark interior being hot in the summer, but my windows are all well tinted, and overheating has not been a problem even on very hot, sunny days.

I also recommend you do a test drive at night to see if you like the bi-xenon headlamps. Many of us who drive the U.S. version of these headlights are very disappointed in their performance.

geo
10-31-2004, 02:48 PM
With respect to the lighter colour interiors, be advised there is a good "head up display" of all the demist vent, alarm LED plinth and TV/ GPS cover" across the windshield with light trim. If you can ignore this fine, if you believe not try one at the dealers first.

birddog
10-31-2004, 04:36 PM
I am considering to trade in my current d5 for a new 2.5T (four-c, audio max, etc.). The exterior color I like best is silver. The interior color I like best is light sand with wood inlays and a wooden steering wheel. However, I'm not quite sure if these colors will match. Has anyone seen this color combination and have an opion about it? Any pictures available?

Arjan, while I don't have a picture of a silver wagon with beige interior, here is a link for one for sale on E-bay with that colour combination. It seems to me that Volvo always used that combination of silver with sand in most of their advertisements when they sere still in the 1st gerneration s/v70 lineup. That was the combination I had orginally wanted but went for the graphite because of the children and the dogs.......not sure who makes more of a mess!

Good luck with your decision and I will look forward to pictures of what you decide.
:cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2498177335&category=6464

hd70
11-01-2004, 07:02 AM
We considered it but ended up with the graphite color (silver outside). The seams of the leather seats nicely match the outside cladding (dark blue). I heard that the MY2005 now is available with dark gray/ graphite cladding ???

We also didn’t like that the light/sand interior has so many different shades of beige/sand and still has so much of the dark grey/ graphite material “spread” throughout the interior.

Reflection: This was another reason. I think I read that the new MY has a modified dashboard to “eliminate” the glare. Anybody any experience already???

Wear: Another reason we picked the graphite. We saw several light interiors on pretty new cars and they already looked worn, or dirty looking.

All personal preference!

bucksg
11-01-2004, 07:20 AM
I have '03 with Silver and Taupe (light sand) interior. It looks very similar to the car on Ebay but those pictures do not do it justice. Those pictures come across as very washed out on my computer. The interior has a deeper, richer color up close.

We find the contrast is very attractive. We even recently finished a 1200mile trip a few weeks ago and I've never noticed any issue with the glare some people have mentioned.

sb

Tom H
11-01-2004, 08:27 AM
I have '03 with Silver and Taupe (light sand) interior. It looks very similar to the car on Ebay but those pictures do not do it justice. Those pictures come across as very washed out on my computer. The interior has a deeper, richer color up close.

We find the contrast is very attractive. We even recently finished a 1200mile trip a few weeks ago and I've never noticed any issue with the glare some people have mentioned.

sb

A little confused. Does your 03 have a combination of Taupe and Light Sand? My wife's 04 S60 is light sand while my 04 XC70 is Taupe. There is a pronounced difference between them. Funny thing is, the color code label on the S60 indicates that it has Taupe interior and the window sticker says Taupe, but the whole interior including the door panels is Light Sand.

XCelerate
11-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. The agony of choice . . .

To add to Tom H's confusion. In the Netherlands there is a choice of four interior colors (US only two?), from light to dark:
- beige (light sand)
- oak (taupe in the US, I believe)
- oak/brown (dark brown country style seats, oak plastics on doars and dash)
- offblack (charcoal).

There is a choice of 12 exterior colors, one which is silver metallic. No pure silver available. Among the exterior colors available is not the "magic blue" I have read about. I have seen the new Barents blue (Barentsz being some Dutch old-time sailor/discoverer (Barents sea) the color is probably named after), but that shade of blue is to greyish for me.
The claddings are either grey/brown or stone grey (very dark blue/grey, less blue than the dark blue claddings on my current polartic D5).

If you take a look at the US Volvo site and compare the prices with the ones you'll find on the Dutch Volvo site there is one thing that is very clear: Europeans are being ripped off. Even if you disregard the idiotic "luxury taxes" (45%) and the 19% sales tax we have over here, and focus on net pre tax prices you can see the US prices are way lower than the ones I find in my Dutch price list. Even though the euro is about 1.25 dollar, still the US prices in dollars are significantly lower than the prices listed over here:
US$ 34,810 compared to 30,511euro=US$38,140 (net price, pre tax!)
Also the standard equipment on a US XC70 appears to include more than the cheapest model over here. The geartronic seems to be standard in the US, which is a 1815euro option over here. Last example: we pay 712euro for metallic paint (pre all taxes), in the US it is only US$450. Being Dutch is hard enough as it is (at times), but paying to much truly hurts the Dutch heart.

Still, the XC70 is still going to be my choice. Next tuesday (11/11) I will test drive a XC70 with the four-C system. If anyone is interested, I could post my findings in this or a new thread.

One last silly detail. In the car on Ebay birddog is referring to you can see that all three adjustable ventilation thingies are grey. In a 2004 XC70 a colleague owns (light sand interior) the right side ventilation opening is beige. The other two are grey. Right ....

birddog
11-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Would like to hear all about your comments on the four-C after you've taken "the drive".

Art
11-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Silver undoubtedly has been the most popular color choice for cars in recent years. From a design sense, it’s no wonder since almost everything from home electronics to kitchen appliances appears to be taking on a more sleek industrial look...cars seem to be of no exception to the trend. Personally, I think the XC has always looked great in silver and would definitely consider it as one of my choices if I was shopping for new set of wheels. Like many of the others, I’d likely go with the graphite interior due mainly to the visibly less noticeable wear on the leather surfaces over time. Here in Canada, color choices offered are light sand, brown, and graphite. As Tom may have alluded to in his previous post, interior combinations could vary from region to region.

BTW, here are a couple of fun and interesting articles on choosing car colors. ;)
Best of luck and have fun Arjan! :D

Hi Ho, Silver is Safe! (http://www.drivers.com/article/707/)
Color Your Car According to Kua (http://www.wofs.com/fsw.php?load=arcview&article=456&c=colors)

Photos are courtesy of the Volvo US site and depict the ‘05 XC in silver and what I believe to be a sand interior even though the website doesn’t offer this option.

http://www.volvocars.us/NR/rdonlyres/C306D5FA-675C-4A4D-8618-1CB3B0102461/0/XC70_Ext_604x314_03.jpg

http://www.volvocars.us/NR/rdonlyres/DEFE5E68-D2D4-4C18-911A-37990972C3F9/0/XC70_INT_604x314_09.jpg

XCelerate
11-13-2004, 10:52 AM
OK, after reading all feedback, giving it lots of thought and looking at XC70s in all colors available (which can drive you nuts) I decided for Black Sapphire metallic for the exterior and graphite for the interior. Black Sapphire is a stunning color, especially when it is standing in the sun. With extra tinted glass the car looks really cool. Two years ago I decided against black because of the brown cladding, but with the Stone Grey cladding the car looks just perfect.
The light sand interior is beautiful, bit I decided against it (and stuck to the graphite I'm used to) because of the many color variaties you get in the light sand interior.
Went for the Four-C sports pack too and swapped the D5 engine for the 2.5T.

birddog
11-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a winner too! I've always wanted a black car, but think I am to uptight about keeping it clean to be practical for me at this point in my life.
We've been thoroughly pleased with the 2.5T engine too. However, always said we'd opt for a diesel given the opportunity
Anyway, when will you take the delivery? Will be fantastic to see pics of a MY2005 in black! :cool:

XCelerate
11-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Birddog, delivery will be in march 2005.

Dropje
11-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Our 05 Black Sapphire (light sand), eurospecs, left Göteborg today and is on it's way to be deliverd early next month (hopefully). Then it will be 5 months from order to delivery. Will post pictures when it arrives.
Arjen kan je me een NL sticker sturen? ;)