PDA

View Full Version : OSD Newbee

Cneighbor
10-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Great forum. I now own a 2001 S-40 (one of the worse cars I've ever owned) and a 2002 S-60 (great car...very happy)

I plan to buy an XC-90 in May/June of 2005 and I have a few questions I hope someone can help me out with.

- How soon should I go to my local dealer and order the car?
- So it's basically 8% off MSRP. Does that include factory installed options?
- Understand I don't have to pay the destination charge ($685 savings)???
- What taxes will I have to pay when I take delivery of the vehicle? I live in TX and I'm only aware of local sales tax. Will I need to pay those?
- Are ther any other fees?

Thanks in advance to all.

gary
10-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Cneighbor,

Welcome to the forums! :) My recommendation to learn about the overseas delivery program is to check out this site: http://www.flyvolvo.com/ It's set up by Volvo of Fairfield (Va), but I think it gives a pretty good rundown of the program. You should also visit volvocars.com/us and read what they say about the program.

Both sites explain the program fairly well, but it probably won't answer all of your questions. Go to your dealer and talk to them about overseas delivery, they should be able to answer your questions as well as tell you what is required for your state. Once you have that info, you can always come back to the forums and bounce your info off of other members experiences.

When you state that you plan to buy in May/June '05 do you mean place your order at that time or pick up from your dealer? If the latter, you will probably want to order very soon to ensure you get an '05 (assuming that what you want). If you're not ordering until May/June '05, you may have to wait longer for your vehicle because Volvo will be prepping the factory for production of the '06's and as with many European countries, they will shut down in August for vacation/holidays. Also, they'll likely be redoing prices and whatnot and prices may not be readily available at that time. I'm sure that someone who already has the XC90 will tell you on average what the wait time is, but I think it is a fairly lengthy wait to get a 90.

I know I haven't answered your specific questions..but hopefully the above info is helpful. The only thing that I can recommend is that you order soon, because the Volvo XC lineup is fantastic and you definitely want to get it on the action! :D

Cneighbor
10-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Gary, thanks for the quick reply and for the additional info. :)

I took your advice and went to my local Volvo dealership today and had all my questions answered. In fact, I evn left with a DVD about the OSD program.

I plan to order my XC90 in Dec and schedule delivery at the factory in March. That should get the car back to the states by May and just in time to replace my S-40 coming off the lease.

My wife an I are very excited about the trip and are already talking about what we're going to do when it comes time to replace the S-60.

Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you and the other members as I complete my OSD experince.

Cheers
C-n

gary
11-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Cneighbor,

I'm glad you found the information helpful and that your dealer was able to answer all your questions. From the folks on this forum who have done OSD, I've heard absolutely no bad experiences! I'm fortunate to be living in Europe right now, but unfortunately I didn't go to Sweden to pick up my XC70 (due to my work schedule at the time I had to have it delivered to me in Germany). However, I do intend to get myself to Scandinavia before my tour in the U.K. ends in 2007. If you haven't been to Europe before, I think you're in for a treat - it's a pretty darn neat place! I also think that you will be fair pleased with the Volvo XC90. In an earlier post you said that you were in Texas - may I ask where? My folks live in San Antonio and I spent high school/college years in San Angelo and a few years after that in various parts of Texas - I consider it my home state (although I haven't lived there in many, many years). Good luck and wish you all the best.

Cneighbor
11-05-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm in San Antonio...I've been to Europe several times...assume you are military ("tour" in Europe). If you haven't been to San Antonio in many years you wouldn't recognize it. It's grown quite a bit. San Angelo on the other hand is stuck in time. :)