PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate: steel?

Too Tall
10-28-2004, 04:58 AM
A funny thing happend on the way to the forum :)

Yesterday I *tried to attach my favorite non-political magnetic bumper sticker to the lower portion of our new XC tailgate. Nope! I tested the entire tailgate and could not find any area that worked. However, there appears to be enough steel in ever other panel.

Is the tailgate aluminum?

Tom H
10-28-2004, 05:17 AM
Others have posted in recent months saying the tailgate is made of fiberglass.

gibbons
10-28-2004, 05:30 AM
And the hood is aluminum.

Too Tall
10-28-2004, 07:43 AM
OMG! Thanks.

Art
10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
More details in this thread (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768&highlight=tailgate) which also contains a link to the composite manufacturer. :)

Too Tall
10-28-2004, 10:40 AM
You know? The more I learn about this car the more I like it. Thanks for the link. Bring on the snow!

gibbons
10-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Go in the maintenance bay when they do your next service and look at the bottom side it while it's on the hoist. It's as cool as the top side! The drive train/suspension design looks good enough to eat :cool:

But for real warm and fuzzies, yank a door panel off and look at the attention to detail underneath where 99.99% of customers will never see. It's as nicely designed and finished as the interior! I should have taken pictures when I had mine off playing with the speakers....

Willy
10-29-2004, 06:44 AM
You know? The more I learn about this car the more I like it. Thanks for the link. Bring on the snow!

I agree!
Sometimes, I think Volvo is far to modest about this car, they could produce a lot of publicity from all the things that make this car special.
I wonder why they don't, Swedisch modesty perhaps :D
Willy