PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Mechanic in NYC/Bkln - Any Ideas?

xcbob
10-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Hello,

I just recently purchased a '99 xc, and I would like to know if anyone can suggest a good mechanic in my area? I live in Brooklyn, Williamsburg to be exact, but really any of the boros would work.

I hate the idea of just walking into anyone and having them go over it, as I'm afraid of getting bilked. Needn't be Volvo dealer, but ideally someone who specializes in Volvos. Actually someplace like this would be great - www.rawbear.com, but they're over in NJ so it's tough to drop the car off there. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Bob

cetaft
10-24-2004, 04:47 PM
I live in Manhattan. Since 1985, I've been taking our Volvos to Elko Auto Repair in Mamaroneck. (1139 Boston Post Road; 914.698.8660)

Owner's name is Mario. I guess you could say I trust him with my life 'cause I trust him with my car. :) He's always been honest & has always done good work.

If you need Volvo dealer-only service, I've had good experiences with Bay Ridge Volvo.

xcbob
10-25-2004, 08:35 AM
sounds like mario's the guy, definitely easier for me to get to bay ridge though so i may try there first and see how it goes. thanks for the info!

bob

bouvier
10-25-2004, 12:24 PM
I can second Bay Ridge Volvo. I've tried Martins (way over priced) and two in upstste NY (both not able to solve what turned out to be easy stuff) and have found Bay Ridge the best so far. We didn't need a loaner so they drove my wife home ....

Bouvier

Avid Edit
10-25-2004, 06:22 PM
XCBOB,
I hear that Capsule motors, down by the Brooklyn Bridge has a good rep.
Bay ridge boys are ok,they get 95$ hr.

Artz
10-25-2004, 09:07 PM
I've used East Brunswick Foreign Car Repair. If you're in Brooklyn, EB is about 30 mins give or take, depending where you are in Brooklyn and what time you'd be coming. They are good, honest, and charge a fair price. Ask for Attilio, and don't be put off by the look of the place - it's been a family run junk yard/car repair center for 40 years, but they do good work. Last year, our '93 240 wagon needed a major tuneup, and for the same price as I was goung to pay Red Bank Volvo, I got the timing belt replaced in addition to the tuneup work. RB Volvo is also great, but they charge dealer prices. If you need diagnostic work, I'd recommend getting that done at RBV, then consider doing to repairs at EBFC. Tell Attilio that ArtZ recommended them.

xcbob
10-26-2004, 09:26 AM
this is great, thanks everyone for the advice. might anyone be able to speak on these guys?
http://www.baydiagnostic.com/volvo.htm

just curious. they have 24 hour drop-off and pick up which really helps with my work schedule.