PDA

View Full Version : Drive Train Clunk

bscj
10-23-2004, 08:14 PM
While in traffic / stop and go Drive Train is sloppy and sometimes Clunks. Had to dealer many times. This last time they bypassed the neutral switch. Something that volvo tried at slow speeds to place transmission in neutral. Now I think the damage is done. At 43k I still have the clunking. Can anyone relate to this problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xcbob
10-24-2004, 09:48 AM
i just got a 99 xc and i have a similar clunk. it happens when not moving, or inching slightly forward in traffic. worries me but it doesn't happen often...not sure what it could be, hope someone has some input - and hopefully it's not catastrophic!

thanks,

bob

XCinSpain
10-26-2004, 09:56 AM
I have the same Clunck.

MY 2001 (sept 2000). The clunck started at 120.000 km and the orange warning triangle lights up.

Just turned 154.000 km and 3 visits to the dealer and no solution found (except to change the gear box with a 2.500 € cost).

bouvier
10-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Before I would change the trans I would make sure that the fluid is up to the line and next would have the programing checked. I think I would also take it to an empty parking lot to try to duplicate the moment so you can demo it at the shop. Could it be a something stuck in the breaking system that releases with a clunk? ..... Don't know,but worth a check.

Good luck!

Bouvier

Sasquatch
10-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Do these things have U joints? That is the most common reason for clunks I can think of.

Hiro's XC
10-31-2004, 11:36 AM
A light clunk from the "overall" drivetrain is the slack getting taken up. All AWD cars do it. Our Passat 4motion does it as well. If there is a CLUNK that can be the center diff trying to figure out what you are doing as well. Odd or quick on-off throttle applications can cause it to clunk quite badly. If the fluids are all full and not bad as in burnt then it really shouldn't be anything to worry about, albeit quite annoying.

zzg8q8
11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
I just obtained a 2001 XC70 and noticed a similar problem. Referring to the owner's manual, I see that the transmission will shift into neutral when stopped for emissions reasons. If I'm at a stop, I hesitate a moment after taking my foot off the brake and I can feel the transmission shift back into gear. Then I hit the gas and the car accelerates normally. If I quickly release the brake and acclerate rapidly, the clunk is significant. So if I need to accelerate quickly from a stop, I can shift into the "tiptronic" mode and the transmission will remain in gear and not clunk. Then I simply shift into "D" and drive normally.

Jon