PDA

View Full Version : Side and frontbars for XC70

mvho
10-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Saw this picture on the internet, also the link towards seller; http://www.buursma.nl/qvolvo.htm

John@CdnRockies
10-23-2004, 10:28 AM
That actually looks quite nice. Unfortunately, it won't help a pedestrian who happens to encounter the front-side of the vehicle. But it does appeal to my sense of being attractive without going over the top. Some of the bars on the SUV's over here look like the front end of a rhinoceros while this example aligns nicely with the look of the car.

John

Tom H
10-23-2004, 01:47 PM
I've never cared for the looks of those front mounted lights although I can understand the functionality under certain conditions. I may want that front bar when the teenage sun starts to drive.

littlewaywelt
10-25-2004, 12:51 PM
I know there are opinions both ways on these things and we've certainly discussed them here, but as a cyclist commuting in traffic every day I will add:
if you live on a farm or have a ligitimate use for a brush bar, great; otherwise do us a favor and don't get one. If you simply need more lighting there are other solutions. In the event that you hit someone with one of those, you guarantee two things:
1- you have changed the impact absorbing dynamics of both vehicles, the hitter and the hittee. :eek:
2- if you hit a pedestrian or cyclist you are forcing all of that energy into a few square inches rather than over a wider surface area and a bar will certainly deform less than a plastic & foam bumper or the hood. Those inches and materials can make the difference in bones breaking. Think about if it was your child that got hit by a car with those, knowing they were probably on the car for appearance's sake. :eek:

....ahhhh <falling off my soapbox> ;)

birddog
10-25-2004, 06:15 PM
....sure looks cool though.....a nice touch of testosterone for running on the back roads. :cool: