PDA

View Full Version : Hi.

Sasquatch
10-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Just got a 2001 XC70 Saturday.

Pickup tomorrow.

Anything to look for before final drive away?

Someone at work mentioned not paying the $195 paperwork fees. I think it is too late for that, so what should I ask them to do for me over the full tank of gas they are going to give me?

I see 4 recalls and over a hundred TSB's on alldata.com and edwards.com. The recalls I understand, but what exactly ARE TSB's?

Are there links on this site for maintenance and performance information?

How about a "How-to?" area (radio, for instance)?

Thanks.

AWD*V70XC
10-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Just got a 2001 XC70 Saturday.

Pickup tomorrow.

The recalls I understand, but what exactly ARE TSB's?

Thanks.

Welcome along, the TSB are Techincal Service Bulletins, which are advisory memos from Volvo.

Morvran
10-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Welcome!

Does the car have extended/Volvo warranty? That should be included in the pkg.

Sasquatch
10-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Welcome!

Does the car have extended/Volvo warranty? That should be included in the pkg.

They are offering to extend it for 4 years for around $2,800 or so. Not sure if I should go for it or not.

TrueBlue
10-19-2004, 01:51 AM
I'd go for the extended warranty, there have been lost of grizzles about the '01s on this Board.

See this thread and then decide.

Oh Dear, in testing the above I see you've been there already. Can't add anything more, comforting or otherwise.

Act in haste, repent at leisure, you should have asked before buying the car. You'll have to do your own risk assessment, "do you feel lucky?" (won't add the last word in that quote!

Modern technology costs a lot to repair and if you are going to keep the car some form of insurance may be prudent.

Sasquatch
10-19-2004, 10:56 AM
I'd go for the extended warranty, there have been lost of grizzles about the '01s on this Board.

See this thread and then decide.

Oh Dear, in testing the above I see you've been there already. Can't add anything more, comforting or otherwise.

Act in haste, repent at leisure, you should have asked before buying the car. You'll have to do your own risk assessment, "do you feel lucky?" (won't add the last word in that quote!

Modern technology costs a lot to repair and if you are going to keep the car some form of insurance may be prudent.

I guess the question is, "Is it worth it?".

I believe this extended warranty does cover pretty much everything, so the issue becomes what are the costs of repairs on these generally over 4 years?

Any quick advice would be great. The company is CNA, I believe.

Raynald
10-19-2004, 12:13 PM
I guess the question is, "Is it worth it?".

I believe this extended warranty does cover pretty much everything, so the issue becomes what are the costs of repairs on these generally over 4 years?

Any quick advice would be great. The company is CNA, I believe.
"Is it worth it?" indeed. To be more precise, the question should be: "Does it cover pretty much everything that is subject to failure?" For example, many extended warranty won't cover radiator replacement or bearing replacement because it is considered to be "normal wear"... Any deductible? If any, how much and for which kind of repair? The debate seems to be endless...

wgriswold
10-19-2004, 12:36 PM
The best advice I have heard is to get the extended warranty from volvo. My daughter got an insurance policy from an insurance company that went out of business.

Sasquatch
10-19-2004, 12:43 PM
The best advice I have heard is to get the extended warranty from volvo. My daughter got an insurance policy from an insurance company that went out of business.

I think I am going to just self-insure. We know a good Volvo mechanic, and I can do a lot of the basics myself.

We still have 10k miles and 13 months or is it 13k miles and 10 months left on the factory warranty (33,000 miles on it).

We are coming from a 1996 Jetta, and are in need of an update.

Thanks for all your help.

coastal
10-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Hi Sasquatch... Will your dealer allow you to wait until just before the factory warranty runs out before extending, or is this something that must be done at time of purchase?

You might want to check for these details just in case.

Also, in terms of the audio system how to, I put together a how-to guide for the system's hidden menus a couple of years ago... Can be seen here:
http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/audio_menus/hu613/

Might be worth a shot to try them out if this is applicable to your system, I know some members have noted a marked improvement in their audio systems' performance after fiddling with the settings by way of these menus.

Cheers!

Sasquatch
10-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks.

I will look into the audio stuff, but have some bigger fish to fry these days with raking the yard and winterizing the boat, house, and pool (when I am able to get home from work, that is).

The warranty can be extended right up to the end of factory, but it is pro-rated based on date or mileage, or both, so the sooner the better.

I will wait and see, I think.