PDA

View Full Version : just ordered an 05

littlewaywelt
10-17-2004, 06:28 AM
I'm pretty excited, I put a deposit down on an order for a 2005 XC.
The 2001 lemon/money pit is finally going away. Hopefully the trani & cracked bushings will hold together for three months. We expect delivery in roughly mid December. It turned out to be several k cheaper (not including VCOA & AAA) to do it through a dealer than through OSD. We were hoping to go to Sweden, but the price difference just couldn't be rationalized. Oh well, maybe next time. :)

2005 XC
Barents Blue, Taupe Leather
Premium
Climate
Convenience
Climate
60/40
3rd Row
Booster Seats
DSTC
NAV

John@CdnRockies
10-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Holy smokes! You bought another XC? I thought that the '01 had turned you off the rig forever.

In any case, glad to see that you have have again made the plunge. We sure hope this unit treats you right as you have it very nicely optioned indeed.

I see that the '05 should get delivered just in time for the ski season. Smart move. Snow has fallen in the Rockies and Lake Louise is still predicting a November 7th opening. Can hardly wait ...

John

gary
10-17-2004, 08:58 AM
LWW,

Congrats! Glad you decided to give the Volvo XC70 another chance. Can't wait to see pics of your Barents Blue XC. I've heard lots of good comments on that color but haven't seen it yet.

TrueBlue
10-17-2004, 09:16 AM
It turned out to be several k cheaper... to do it through a dealer than through OSD. We were hoping to go to Sweden, but the price difference just couldn't be rationalized.
Well done LWW. Over this side of the pond I always imagined that OSD gave a spankingly good discount - I'll remember your experience from now on and will cease to be jealous - except for the colour! BB seems to be more vibrant than good old NB, but I've only see a dealer colour chip to date.

Should look fab: on a sunshiny snowy day. Post some pics before you wreck it (haha)

barrysharp
10-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Well done LWW. Over this side of the pond I always imagined that OSD gave a spankingly good discount - I'll remember your experience from now on and will cease to be jealous...

For my OSD troubles in 2003 I was able to walk away with almost $10,000 in savings compared with buying off the lot or ordering thru a dealership. Maybe this was an unusual case but none the less I don't want you to think that OSD doesn't save money and I wish for your envy to remain. ;) :D

barrysharp
10-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Littlewaywelt: Congrats :) ...and you now will have the NAV system - great addition IMO. What about the Bi-xenon lights and the flat wiper blades ?

I'm looking forward to not having to order a new XC until 2023. :D

littlewaywelt
10-17-2004, 03:39 PM
John,
If Saab built their wagon in awd I would have gone that way.
I looked very briefly at the passat W8 and GLX 4motion wagons, but wasn't impressed and their quality seemed a bit lacking. The rest were too pricey for me. I was impressed at VW's pricing, but the upkeep costs made up for the price difference. If anyone's looking, about 32k gets a fully loaded passat wagon, 6 cyl awd, traction control, electronic stability system like DSTC, leather and everything in the xc at about 40k less NAV, which they don't offer.

I think the statistical likelyhood of getting another bad xc is....not trying to jinx myself here...highy unlikely. ....Though I WILL buy an extended warranty just to be safe.

TB & BS, in OSD the base car was invoice, but all options are MSRP. I found it really easy to get way below the OSD price and listed invoice by several K. I emailed about 20 dealers,and in two days found a great offer and a dealer I know, so I am happy. While I saved a bunch of cash, I'm still very envious Barry. I was looking forward to going to Sweden since I haven't been in fifteen years. I've been subliminally programming my wife for OSD for a year and a half. :D She was bummed too.

Barry, your report on the BiXenons made me skip that otion. The new wiper blades are standard I think. One really lame feature is that you can't get Sirrius radio and NAV. It's one or the other. Aside from BLIS and water repellant glass, which the dealers couldn't locate, the XC will soon be available for about $600 with RUN FLATS.

The Barents Blue looks ten times better in person. The color chips stink. WE also almost ordered the lava sand, but it looks nothing like the chips or pics on the web. It's sharp, but not nearly as nice looking as the pics. I wish they offered the titanium gray or a hunter green. oh well.

birddog
10-17-2004, 04:33 PM
I'm sure this will prove to be the XC that you've always wanted. All the best options and a fantastic colour to boot! Anxious to see some pics once you take delivery!

Art
10-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Congrats LWW! :)

Considering what you’ve been through, you must now be one very relieved and happy camper. Great to know that you’ll be stickin’ around to provide us with more input and details of your new ride. Speaking of which, Barent’s Blue just happens to be one stunning color. :cool:

barrysharp
10-18-2004, 07:31 PM
LWW: Look forward to your report come Mid Dec, Shame about the Sirrus and NAV compatibility issues. :( Hmmm - good choice on not getting the Bi-Xenon. :) BTW - what was the cost of adding BLIS ?

gibbons
10-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Too bad you didn't get the Bi-xenons :p Sorry, but I like ours. Lots of light and a crisp cut off. But thinking about it, in 11 months of ownership, I have never used the brights, not enough open road! Isn't that the main beef about the HIDs? Once I cranked my low beams upwards, they have been really good.

I have driven with euro-code Cibies for years. I have always taken my headlights seriously, I got my first set in high school for my '74 Duster. I am used to the low beam cut off.

When I drive the XC next to someone else on the freeway, my light pattern is 3 times as wide, significantly longer, and much brighter than the average guy next to me. I think the brighness tends to shrink the pupil aperature to adjust to the bright light, so anything beyond the beam looks really, really dark. It takes some getting used to. If someone thinks the high beam simply isn't sufficient, then there is no getting used to that.

I wouldn't trade my xenons for halogens+$500. Others hate xenons. To each their own, I guess.

littlewaywelt
10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
LWW: Look forward to your report come Mid Dec, Shame about the Sirrus and NAV compatibility issues. :( Hmmm - good choice on not getting the Bi-Xenon. :) BTW - what was the cost of adding BLIS ?
No one had BLIS as an option for order on their sheets. One dealer told me it might be available later in the model year. I was also told that it would probably be around $800.00. The only new option that was priced and even listed was the run flat tire system which was 750-800 according to consumer reports. The dealer called me today and told me that NAV and Sirius are doable together. I told him to do it if possible, but not to sacrifice the nav if it's one or the other. We'll see.

coastal
10-25-2004, 06:47 PM
A somewhat belated congrats to you LWW... Glad to hear you've decided not only to stick with Volvo, but more importantly the community :D

I'm pretty sure I saw a Barents Blue XC this morning at the dealership... Looked dang sharp... look forward to seeing some pics of yours.

Cheers!

Taylor

pico de luuks
10-26-2004, 06:29 AM
LWW,

Congrats on your new XC! Great color indeed. Really hope you'll have a truly good experience with this one! Does it have the new style alloys? They look very nice on pics (almost like a 16" version of the Thors).
If I were in the market for a new XC I'd have lava sand and BB high on my prefered color list, but as many of us I have never seen a lava sand XC :(

Again, enjoy your new ride when it arrives.Great news that you'll remain part of the volvoXC community!

[pico]

littlewaywelt
10-26-2004, 09:43 AM
LWW,

Congrats on your new XC! Great color indeed. Really hope you'll have a truly good experience with this one! Does it have the new style alloys? They look very nice on pics (almost like a 16" version of the Thors).
If I were in the market for a new XC I'd have lava sand and BB high on my prefered color list, but as many of us I have never seen a lava sand XC :(

Again, enjoy your new ride when it arrives.Great news that you'll remain part of the volvoXC community!

[pico]

I'm very excited. The car won't really be that different than what we're driving now, but I still re-read the brochure daily. I've downloaded the NAV instructions and read those about ten times as well. I can't wait and I'm sure that this car will be great. The statistical odds are in our favor. knock-on-wood.

Yes it has the new wheels. I actually like the current ones better for looks and because they are probably easier to clean. Lava sand is really sharp. I could have gone that way, but my wife thought it was too brown. My thought is anyone that liked Java, will LOVE Lava Sand. It is definitely more brown looking in person than on the web pics. THe color chip in the brochure isn't accurate either. The cladding goes beautifully with the lava sand.

I really wish they offered steel gray metallic or whatever that R color is.