PDA

View Full Version : First Snowfall of the Season.

Art
10-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Not much to report of in regards to amounts though....just enough to cause a bit of havoc on the highways. :eek: After our departure from the Calgary airport, we were witness to several multi vehicle accidents on the northbound #2 to Red Deer.

As usual, the XC was awesome as the road conditions began to deteriorate the farther north that we travelled. Even though the Synchrone a/s tires performed admirably, I’ll be giving more thought to changing over to dedicated winter tires sooner than expected. :)

http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/First%20Snowfall.jpg

AWD*V70XC
10-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Art you just beat me to it, I was looking at the forecast for Calgary and noticed that some snow was due in the coming hours. Ah well, enjoy yourself :D

John@CdnRockies
10-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Yahoo! Snow, lovely white snow. It's enough to warm the heart of any XC owner - particularly if he happens to ski an occasional day or two (or fifty).

The hills actually received a fair dumping even though Calgary only has a inch on the ground. Hills are slated to open November 7th.

What a great way to test out Volvo's DSTC.;)

John

Tom H
10-17-2004, 08:15 AM
Yuk, I hate snow & slush. Sorry to be such a downer. Couldn't get enough of it when I was a kid but now it just chills these old bones. On the other hand, it will definately be easier and fun to handle with the added safety of the XC70 and my wife's S60 AWD. Sure takes a load off in the worry department. Enjoy the slopes guys.

Willy
10-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Hello Art,
Dedicated winter tyres are bound to make the performance of the car even better as it is now, you won't be sorry (fully personal opinion of a dedicated driver with different tyres for different seasons :))!
Willy

birddog
10-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey guys!...can't waite for the snow to make it to the northeast US. Been waiting for it since last March! Wishing I was in Calgary.... :rolleyes: How gard is it to relocate to Canada from the US? :o

Art
10-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Hello Art,
Dedicated winter tyres are bound to make the performance of the car even better as it is now, you won't be sorry (fully personal opinion of a dedicated driver with different tyres for different seasons. :)!

Yes, couldn’t agree with you more Willy. In fact, this winter will mark the 3rd season that we’ve employed dedicated studdless Nokian Q’s on the XC....just haven’t gotten around switching over to them yet. This first skiff of snow really doesn’t pose an issue with the current setup as it will probably melt away over the next 48 hour period. Can’t wait until conditions get really serious though, right John? ;) :D

Like TomH, I also despise the cold but, on the other hand, always enjoy a good romp in the snow with the XC. It’s by far the most comfortable and safest ‘all conditions’ vehicle that we’ve ever had the pleasure of owning. :)

Winterpic taken on Jan 31/04
http://www.xc70.com/pics/albums/userpics/Winter%20XC.jpg

coastal
10-25-2004, 07:02 PM
jealous over here though we did have our first signifigant snowfalls over the past 24 hours up on the local ski hills. Plus, Whistler-Blackcomb seems to already be starting to build a base for a late November opening.

A bunch of ski areas in the Western states have already opened with excellent early season conditions.. fingers crossed for an epic season, who's with me :D:cool:

Raynald
10-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Gee, this side of the country has been quite warm for this time of year. Not a single snow flake on the horizon... Must be global warming? ;)

John@CdnRockies
10-27-2004, 05:28 AM
This is going to be a great month. Just finished up winterizing the sailboat back on Pender Island, BC (next to the San Juans of Washington State). Might want to look at my post of how the '04's Haldex pulled the boat despite having two wheels in gravel.

This week will consist of some ski tuning and next week (Nov 7th) Lake Louise in Banff is set to open. Looked at their site and they already have anice covering of the white stuff. Yahoo!

Too bad I left the XC on Pender in anticipation of the Whistler ski vacation planned for mid-February.;)
John

dlr97
10-27-2004, 02:19 PM
First snow of the season near our cabin in the Sierra Nevada of California (Donner Pass area) was Sept. 19th with 3". By last week on Oct. 19th there was 4 feet on the ground. More falling this week. Can't wait to get up there with our new XC70. Looks like a fine winter for skiing.

Cheers,
Dave