PDA

View Full Version : Those rat-bags

AWD*V70XC
10-07-2004, 02:16 PM
I found this really good web site call www.volvoxc.com they have all the XC models there with plenty of info and help from their (nutty/mad/wierd/fanatic) owners, they help each other out and question how things are done and why was this not included etc.

Still you have to admit, that the web site is very well named, it is to the point and leaves very little to the viewer as to what to expect from such a web site.

Shock ~ horror ~ awe ~

Somebody has registered a web site called........wait for it.......... volvoxc90.com ....... well I am speechless, copying is the sincerest form of yea yea you know the rest. Who in their right mind would try and copy a web address such as ours...? we have nearly 2000 members who all enjoy driving their XC's, a massive hit, one day of 187 users at once. Anyone trying to mimmick our belov'ved web site is in need of a brain scan. They will never have the members we have, they will never have the chat and help. Someone should get hold of this guy and tell him we were here first and our members are loyal, we have all the right things in place to beat anyone who tries this copycat style of poaching our name/web address/members & whatever else he thinks he can do.

There is no contest Bud, give up now before you embarrass yourself into submission, we were the first, the best and we will be here for a long time to come yet.

Who is running this web site? NO WAY, Really you mean that someone in Volvo HQ has told their web designers to copy our name and try to hit a market we already hold! Well, good on them, I guess some of "The Guests" must be from Sweden.

Hope you enjoy our banter. Are you taking notes of any of the ideas we keep giving you as to what you should be including in your next revamps.

Good Luck Volvo, that was a smart move.

And, if you want to see it for yourself here it is www.volvoxc90.com

Carbsumer
10-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Not sure if you're kidding.

For what it's worth, volvoxc.com was registered on 12-Sep-02. volvoxc90.com was registered on 16-Nov-01.

Not that I was really concerned that Volvo was stealing their trademarked name from a fan site.

Carbsumer
10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
While I had whois opened, I checked and Volvo (Ford, really) also registered Volvoxc50.com on 04-Feb-2002. That's the only other variant of Volvoxc#0.com they've registered, besides 70 and 90 (obviously).

Art
10-07-2004, 06:49 PM
The site’s original name was first referred to as v70xc.com as some of you will remember. There could even be one or tow of the Ltd. edition decals still kicking around in somebody's desk drawer. ;) Don’t recall exactly when it was registered, but it had to be somewhere around the fall of 2001. Taylor, naturally, would know the exact date. You can still gain access to the current site using the old DN. The name change in 2002 to volvoXC.com was done, more or less, to encapsulate the Volvo family of XC’s including, of course, the XC90. :)

Here’s the link (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49) to the thread where it all started. :)

Another website devoted entirely to the XC90 that some of you may already be familiar with is myxc90.com (http://www.myxc90.com/).

Thanks to Taylor's fine work and a great fan base, this site is still Numero Uno!! :D

Gundo
10-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Porsche is well known to actively search and destroy websites with urls similar to their product names. I'm actually surprised Volvo hasn't issued a cease and desist for this site... volvoxc.com is just too close.

For example, in one case, some dude was selling something called the Strapster, using the Porsche Boxster font, and the Porsche police shut him down....

Mr. P
10-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Porsche is well known to actively search and destroy websites with urls similar to their product names. I'm actually surprised Volvo hasn't issued a cease and desist for this site... volvoxc.com is just too close.

For example, in one case, some dude was selling something called the Strapster, using the Porsche Boxster font, and the Porsche police shut him down....

Porsche lost that one in court. If you're an enthusiast web site and you're listing "Porsche", it is legal to do so as long as you say you're not affiliated with Porsche, and you're not selling anything with their logo on it.

For this reason, there are now hundreds of "Porsche" web sites back on the net, after many were intimidated into disappearing before the court said otherwise.

Mr. P

Tom H
11-01-2004, 06:18 AM

Honda goes after websites that try to use their name as well. I used to belong to a site called Honda Odyssey. com. It was a huge success with thousands of members. Honda's legal team went after the administrators and ultimately won. The club has since changed the name to odyclub.com and is even more successful than ever. In our case we are supported by VCOA and Volvo is highly supportive of them. We probably won't have any issues. In Honda's case the main gripe was the use of the actual Honda name. They feared there was a possibility of being misrepresented.