PDA

View Full Version : HomeLink/IAQS

marco
10-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Has anyone ordered and installed (DIY) either the Homelink or IAQS options? I assume it's possible to order these.... but you know what they say about assumptions.

Artz
10-07-2004, 09:41 AM
I can understand why one might want HomeLink if you don't have it, I guess.

But IAQS? As I understand it, IAQS is a system that automatically determines if the ECC should switch to recycle mode if it detects dirty air outside the vehicle. While this sounds great, I have to ask why you;d want to go through the trouble/cost of adding this yourself. If you think the air is dirty, or if you need quick cooling, then it's a push of a button to switch to recycle mode yourself. With or without IAQS, the system still uses the same cabin air filter.

Again - this is only my inderstanding of IAQS. If this is not correct, or if the system does more than that, can someone please correct me?

ArtZ

Art
10-07-2004, 11:01 AM
That pretty well covers it, for the most part, ArtZ. :) The IAQS is equipped with a sensor that detects higher levels of CO. It works in conjunction with a combined active carbon filter and automatically closes the air intake thus eliminating any undesirable particles/odours from entering the cabin. The stock AQS is totally manual and has the standard pollen filter. I’ve been told that an upgrade kit is available for IAQS and consists of a sensor, wiring harness, and carbon filter. Not sure if a new housing for the filter is required though.

I’ve got the standard system and often find that fumes travel up into the cabin before I’m able to push the recycle button. I’m assuming that the IAQS feature would eliminate this problem.

As far as adding Homelink, I believe there is also special software needed which will likely mean paying a visit to the dealer. I’ve seen oem visors come up on ebay now and again so that’s something to keep in mind. I would think that parts alone for both of these options, if acquired through the dealer, would be fairly pricey. :(

marco
10-07-2004, 03:48 PM
That pretty well covers it, for the most part, ArtZ. :) The IAQS is equipped with a sensor that detects higher levels of CO. It works in conjunction with a combined active carbon filter and automatically closes the air intake thus eliminating any undesirable particles/odours from entering the cabin. The stock AQS is totally manual and has the standard pollen filter. I’ve been told that an upgrade kit is available for IAQS and consists of a sensor, wiring harness, and carbon filter. Not sure if a new housing for the filter is required though.

I’ve got the standard system and often find that fumes travel up into the cabin before I’m able to push the recycle button. I’m assuming that the IAQS feature would eliminate this problem.

As far as adding Homelink, I believe there is also special software needed which will likely mean paying a visit to the dealer. I’ve seen oem visors come up on ebay now and again so that’s something to keep in mind. I would think that parts alone for both of these options, if acquired through the dealer, would be fairly pricey. :(

That's what's great about this forum....information. When I ordered my vehicle I was unable to add any options, and both of these sounded like something I would want, but now maybe not, sounds like they are not worth the expense or effort.

Thanks

Artz
10-07-2004, 04:36 PM
I imagine that the carbon filter can replace the standard filter if you don't have IAQS. I have a brochure I picked up at my dealer about IAQS that I will hunt down. I remember it had some pictures of the filter - maybe it will give some insight.

bob
10-08-2004, 03:46 AM
The IAQS system would require a software download. The homelink system is not that sophisticated. Simply install and plug in the new visor, and program it to your door.