PDA

View Full Version : Anyone successfully integrated mp3 into hu system?

stain
09-23-2003, 04:31 PM
No lies, I would like to listen to music from my mp3 collection without having to replace a single CD - safety is the most important thing for Volvo fans http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
I heard that people using FM transmitters for that. But I have no idea about quality. Is it worth trying? What product would you recommend?

michae42
09-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Have u looked into an aftermarket head unit that would play MP3 cd's?  I'm currently in the process of trying to figure out whether that could work.  If I find anything out, i'll definitely pass along any helpful information along to you.

Avid Edit
09-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Stain,

iTrip - Griffin iPod Wireless FM Transmitter

The iTrip FM transmitter for the iPod can play your music through any FM radio in your car, at a party, wherever the mood strikes you - and you have a radio.

Works like a charm .

edg
09-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Avid Edit,

Where did you buy your iTrip?  I had heard they weren't available yet.  Is a separate power source necessary for the iPod?

Thanks,
Ed

picklehead
09-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi Ed,

I run my ipod with a cassette adapter through the HU 613.  I know that this option is not available for the 803 unit, but if you have the 613, the cassette adapter is an easy way to go that sounds fantastic.  Good luck in your search.

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

SpudRacer
09-24-2003, 06:36 PM
We're getting the HU-803, and want to put an iPod in as well.  Barry was working on getting them "married", but I don't think he's been successful yet.

We're hoping to finally be able to connect both an "XM" radio receiver and iPod to our HU-803.  Not sure it's possible, but that's our goal.

Respectfully,

Tom

edg
09-25-2003, 06:30 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have the 613.  Are the cassette adaptors easy to find?  I haven't seen any in local stores or on the Apple web site.  I have seen something called the Tunecast by Belkin.  Not sure how well that works.

Ed

picklehead
09-25-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi Ed,

I picked one up at radio shack, I think that it was $19.95.  I plug the remote into the ipod and the adapter into the remote.  I then clip the remote to my seatbelt where I can easily change the volume or the tune without taking my eyes off of the road.  The cubby hole next to the cassette player is a perfect fit for the ipod.  I think that the apple stores also sell the adapter as a "car kit" with a power supply cord as well.  Good luck and good tunes.

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

Avid Edit
09-25-2003, 07:45 AM
edg,
Got mine from an Apple store in Soho , NYC.
I suppose you can get it on-line, The one I haveis for a first generation Pod.

$34.95   apple.com  store

Griffin iTrip for new iPod

You are looking at the coolest iPod accessory in the world. The iTrip FM transmitter for the iPod can play your music through any FM radio in your car, at a party, wherever the mood strikes you - and you have a radio.

The iTrip FM Transmitter works with the new iPod with dock connector.

It's clear that the iTrip is made specifically for the iPod. This gives iTrip advantages over similar devices. For example, with the iTrip, you can have the cleanest possible signal - because you can choose any radio station on the dial to tune for the best performance possible. You do this by 'playing' special station codes directly from the iPod itself. Simple.

Another advantage of the iTrip is that it needs no batteries, it receives its tiny amount of power from the iPod, and it can rotate out of the way to charge the iPod while still in use. No more batteries ever again.

There's not even a power switch - just plug it in and go. It shuts off automatically after 60 seconds of silence - just like the iPod. The iTrip is the ultimate accessory for the iPod because it allows you to share the music and share the fun beyond your headphones.

www.griffintechnology.com

SpudRacer
09-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Sounds a little like a commercial!!!     http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/hehe.gif

Tom

edg
09-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Thanks Jim and Avid Edit.  I have the new iPod, so it looks like the cassette adaptor or the Tunecast are the only options right now.  I checked Griffin's web page and the new iTrip isn't being shipped yet.

Ed

hrd_rok
09-26-2003, 01:24 PM
there is a lot on ipods and car stereo options at the following link...

http://www.ipodlounge.com

i've got a 3g 30gig ipod and am trying to figure the best way to connect..   6600 files and counting, with 4 gig to go...

hr

vic
12-11-2005, 08:43 AM
I have an i River and use the FM transmitter works great in country areas with less stations but is a pain in the arse around town as it continually has stronger signals overriding my set frequency
Vic