PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Life On Board - Pure Genius or Just Frivolous Dribble?

Art
09-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Heard about the latest media pitch by Volvo which embraces the concept of real life stories derived from interviews on the road? The informal settings of the conversations take place in select cars from the current Volvo lineup including the XC70/90.

Life On Board (http://www.volvocars.co.uk/_campaigns/LifeOnBoard/default.htm)

More information on Volvo’s recent ad campaign can be found here. (http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Volvo_News/article_345.html)

AWD*V70XC
09-26-2004, 01:55 AM
I have seen the XC70 on this ad, it is very strange to see a XC70 on the TV. The first time I saw it I never even heard what was being said as I was so intent on looking at the few seconds of the XC but the next time it was on I half listened, just as well I had read about what the story line was, otherwise I would still be waiting to hear the voice over

TrueBlue
10-02-2004, 12:19 PM
AWD*, intrigued by your comment and hugely irritated by the Ad: on TV, I looked at the Volvo website as prompted by the ad (volvocars.co.uk) - well it just had the web address as an overlay.... I was impressed by the full length videos there - I even ordered the DVD (well it's free...).

Must say the ad extract was naff, wouldn't buy any Volvo from that but the full video put the whole thing in context - even an XC going Off-road; heavens. At last an SUV (ish) vehicle doing "Sports" things.

I mean, how the blazes do you advertise cars nowadays??
? Kaledoscopic views of tortoises / foals falling over? (Wouldn't by a slow BMW Series 1 if it is slow or unsteady on its boots.
? Japanese cars sold on the basis of a new language.
? Punched paper tape selling Audi with an 'orrible front view.

(The above will probably only have any meaning for Brit: viewers - but do say if you others are being subjected to the same stuff..)

Naah, Tell it like it is, ordinary surfers and horse riders talking to each other in an (exceptional) car. Raises subliminal adverst to new heights!!

Good on you Volvo; Dalaro is dead, long live Life on Board.

It made me follow up on the subject matter - which no other ad has ever done.

gary
10-12-2004, 11:54 AM
HHHMMM.... I'm not sure what to make of this latest ad campaign. I haven't seen the ads on television, but I have visited the website and watched the interview related to the XC70. I kept thinking to myself... "okay, I KNOW this is a great car (because I already own one) and I think this is a really cool interview/ad, BUT... if I didn't have a clue about this car and I saw this, would it make want to go contact a dealer, or better yet, test drive one?" I'm not sure it would, and in fact, it probably wouldn't. I thought Dalaro was much better at selling Volvo than the current Life on Board campaign. I think Volvo is missing with this one...but just my opinion.

AWD*V70XC
10-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks to broadband, I have watched all four films and the most exciting one for me was the (sorry to say it) but the Black Guy driving the V70, he was so cool, his story was gripping and interesting. Splitting up from his missus, she took the kid, he lost his stockbroker job, went from there to here. Then SHE lands back on the door step, gives him a b.. no no, gives him back the boy who was only 2. This guy slept rough in airports and bus stations "protecting" his boy and when he got a real house back he knew he had made it, no more carrying his belongings around on his back. I felt a little lump in my throat listening to his story, as he tried to be the perfect dad under the circumstances, even saying that he had to sell his own blood just to have some food for him and the boy.

The other thing about this ad was the chance to join in, with the guy playing cards and tossing the coin. I suppose in a way with all the different camera angles I thought I was IN the car with them and taking part.

Hey, sod the car, we all know what a V70 can do, it is just nice to find someone different who also drives one.

Tom H
10-13-2004, 07:09 AM
About 4 or 5 years ago Infinity did a full blown 1 hour long infommercial on one of their cars. It was incredibly informative and interesting. It covered everything from the cars features, the technologies incorporated (in depth), and videos of the car in action. They also dedicated a segment on the manufacturing systems and their approach to quality control. I thought it was the absloute perfect approach to introducing a new vehicle. I have never seen anything like it sense. It obviously didn't capture the marketing share they were after to or we would see this sort of thing being done by all the manufacturers. These lastest videos by Volvo do a lot to convey their corporate viewpoints which is a good thing but I would like to see an expanded version that really sells the cars. Take us into the factory. Take us inside the designers minds. Show us how you do it and how you control quality. Show us your safety program and test facility. For me, that kind of information sells product. The DVD that comes with the new cars is a great start.

Ron3KL
11-07-2004, 12:51 AM
I haven't seen these ads, but ANYTHING has to better than the "Bloody Volvo Driver" campaign we've been subjected to in Australia.

AWD*V70XC
11-07-2004, 03:36 AM
Ron3KL, I am afraid that you are an advertiser's dream, the reason is, you remember what they were trying to convey to you.

It was a very clever ad that will have people talking about Volvo drivers long after the ad has finished.

Just imagine the scene of a RTA where the cop is taking down the details from a witness, she tells to the cop "The bloody volvo driver just came over the junction without looking and hit that truck" see it works. :D