PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp protectors

Tom H
09-24-2004, 06:24 AM
I've seen a number of posts on Volvo's expensive plastic covers for the headlamps and fog lights. Has anyone tried the weathertech "Lampgards"?
I have always had great results with their products and I'm considering these. The complete kit for both the headlight assembly and the fogs is only $44.95 US + $7.00 shipping. My only reservation is that they are a peel & stick application and I'm curious if anyone has any experience regarding their interaction with the headlamp wipers.

Art
09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Tom,

I’ve been hearing plenty of positive comments about Weathertech on this board, including their bombproof floor trays. They always seem to stand behind their products. :)

As far as the urethane headlamp protectors are concerned, you shouldn’t encounter any issues with the wipers. I have 20 mil Ricochet film and the wipers operate as they normally would. I really can't see it being any different with 40 mil film. Over time, however, I have noticed a slight discolouration only where the wiper blades contact the surface of the film, while in their resting position. I can’t say for sure if this is a common occurrence with similar urethane films out there, but it doesn’t take away from the overall appearance of the product at all...just something to keep in mind. I’m not familiar with the peel and stick application of the Weathertech product, since the films that I’ve heard of use a positioning fluid and a squeegee to transfer the film onto the glass so that it doesn’t bond immediately. Stongard/Ricochet can also be easily removed if the need so requires. If that is important to you, then it might be a good idea to ask them if it’s possible to do this with their film. Just a thought. :)

Tom H
09-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Good points Art. I think I'll send an email off to weathertech to get their input on removal if necessary. I have used weathertech for many years and the products are very well made. The reason that I actually switched hats and went with Volvo floor mats this time was the excellent custom fit that Volvo mats offer. Also, the locator pins that keep the mats in place and very reasonable price sealed the deal for me. Put them in XC70 and S60. Very pleased with the results.

Art
09-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Tom,

Let us know what you find out about the Weathertech film. At $45 for a full kit, that's a bargain compared to what Stongard/Ricochet are charging. I paid roughly $80 US to have a full Ricochet kit installed.

One more tip, I periodically apply 303 aerospace protectant to the film with a soft cloth to further extend its UV properties. :)

adamc
09-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Hey Tom,

I've been debating headlight protection for my Xenons (heard they're $900 to replace a single unit, eeek).

In doing some research, I read somewhere on the web (can't find the link at the moment) that in some cases 40 mil film causes lamps to overheat. In minor cases it causes this film to begin to melt. In worst case scenario I've heard it can over heat the headlights to the point that they crack.

I've read Xpel is coming out with a 20 mil product very soon to try to avoid this problem. I think the Xpel kit is about the same as what your quoting from weathertech.

Just an FYI, I have no personal experience with the stuff yet...

Adam

barrysharp
09-25-2004, 04:30 PM
The 3M Mylar/Xpel product for headlight protection is now 20 mil and has a much harder surface film to avoid long term abrasion from wipers and weather etc. The hardened surface is also an attempt to avoid the nicotine colored markings/streaks that occur from the headlight wiper blade residues when wipers at their rest point. I have this on my S60R Bi-xenon headlights and so far, so good.

On my XC70 I have a set of plastic surrounds that are attached with almost concealed clips to the headlights. These cost me around $80/set and they're made in Australia of all places. ;) They also look cool/smart and very professional looking, and I think will go a long way in protecting the headlights from stone breakage.

Wodengolfer
09-25-2004, 06:38 PM
I've installed and used the product from AutoSport.com on my X5,and after 2.5 years, it was still clear and scratch free. My advice is to go for it, and you might want to consider the clear bra also, have it on my Touareg now and is holding up great after 10k mi. :o