PDA

View Full Version : Volvo discount off msrp?

Christopher
06-26-2003, 10:32 AM
I'm looking to buy my first new Volvo and have heard that dealers never discount the price of a new car very much. How much is it fair to expect? I'm looking at an MSRP of about $35,000 and the first price I am given is only about a $500 discount. Somewhere I read that $1,000 to $1,500 is the maximum discount on any Volvo. What are your experiences? I'm not one to try to nickel and dime the salesman but I also don't want to pay way too much.

Christopher

barrysharp
06-26-2003, 11:37 AM
My guess is that dealerships have about $3,000 margin in the MSRP. Find the invoice price and give them $500 margin as a starting point.

littlewaywelt
06-26-2003, 11:52 AM
You might want to check out www.edmunds.com to see what xc's are going for in your area and to see if VCNA is offering any additional incentives to the dealer which you can negotiate a part of.
I offered 1.5% over invoice and then accepted at 2% over invoice.  We split the holdback 50/50.  We were both pleased with the deal and it took less than 10 minutes.
You might want to check out Over Seas Delivery.  You can get some pretty good deals with it.  Several forum members have used it and I can't recall ever seeing a negative comment about the experience.  Had I known about it, I would have done it.

AV8R
06-26-2003, 12:17 PM
Christopher,

You didn't mention the model year or specific model of Volvo you're looking for, but from recent experience, I can tell you there are some published rebates on certain 2003 models, as well as great lease rates on some 2004 models. The dealer has an obligation to supply this information if you ask, and it is in their best interest since it might make the difference in your decision whether or not to take the car. It certainly helped me.

My new Polar White 2003 XC 70 with premium package purchased earlier this week had a list price of $37,122 with factory cash back of $2,500, bringing the price down to $34,622 before any negotiation. I paid in the low $32,000 range, and was fortunate they had the exact model I wanted, and that they were ready to deal. (end of the month)  

A new 2004 XC 70 can be leased for $399/month with some cash down. (see Volvo website or ask dealer for details)

The point is there are deals available on some of the models. They do not discount XC 90's yet. Both the XC 70 and the XC 90 models are hard to come by, but they may not be the only Volvo models you are considering.

I hope this helps.

AV8R

Low Tide
06-26-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm one of those OSD guys... I recommend going this route. No negotiation, fixed price. You order what you want... and go pick it up. You'll save about 10% off US prices and get a free trip to the factory.

If you need a car "quicker" than a special order, you can ask about the "White List" cars- that are already built and available within 30days. Most have premium and touring, but ot much else... ask though. It takes 2-3 weeks delivery to the east coast....4-5 weeks delivery to the west coast from the time the boat leaves (usually abotu a week after you drop off the car at the factory or one of the drop-off locations throughout Europe.

Where are you located? Its best to get someone very familiar with OSD... and you won't make any mistakes or take anything a less trained salesperson tells you.

Plus, you have the forum here to ask OSD related questions.

The staff at the factory delivery centre is EXCELLENT and I guarantee you will have a AMAZING experience.

For immediate details... see William Marks (Fairfield, Volvo CA)excellent OSD site- http://www.flyvolvo.com

email me if your in CA or the west and want to know about my dealer/contact info (excellent also).

Getting good deals in the US is about availability.  A lot of dealers simply do not have any left.  2004's are not really very negotiable.

Going the OSD route... you can buy the car cheaper than the dealer can.  This summer there is also a free extension trip to Nice or London available.

Christopher
06-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Many thanks for all your replys! I went to visit another area dealer and have a deal on the table for $2000 off MSRP of $38,000. I don't think I can do any better, at least in this area. I don't know if the same is true everywhere but there seems to be a serious shortage of Volvos here.

Christopher