PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Protection Net with Touring Package?

Artz
09-13-2004, 07:31 AM
We picked up a new XC70 on Saturday. It's black w/graphite and has Premium and Touring.

Looking at the brochure today, it says the touring package comes with a cargo protection net. A picture of a net holding sime soccer balls in place and tied to the 4 cargo hooks is on the next page. Is this the cargo net that is supposed to come with the touring package? If it is, we did not get that.

Art Zegarek

Tom H
09-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Art,

Your bio does not say where you are from. Volvo distributes slightly different "standard" packages for different regions of the globe. If you are from the US then I would assume your new XC is a MY04. In that case, the cargo protection net referred to is located in your rear seatbacks. The net pulls out of the seat and attaches to the ceiling mounts. It's intended purpose is to help prevent loose items in the cargo area from being thrown in to the front during an accident or extreme braking conditions. It works well and hides away into the seats when not in use.

Tom

adamc
09-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Hey Tom,

How do I tell if I have the net? We have touring package, and ours came with the cargo cover that slides over the lower half of the cargo area to "hide" any stuff in there.

Since I'm not routinely transporting high-end electronics or large quantities of illegal narcotics in my XC70, I'd rather have the cargo net.

The dealer did a horrible job of going over the car, so I'm not sure how obvious the cargo net is. I have the 40/20/40 seats...

Thanks for the help Tom,

Adam

TrueBlue
09-13-2004, 10:08 AM
I have the 40/20/40 seats...
Adam
AFAIK the cargo net is not available with the 40/20/40 split for the reason that the net - on a spring roller system fits into a slot in the back of the rear seats; A three way split was too much for the net designers!

If you lift up the panel on the back of each seat you'll see a gaping hole where the net should be

I have a MY03 with the 3 seat split - and no net.

Artz
09-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks Tom,

I will update my profile - but for the record, I am in central NJ.
Our XC70 is a 2004, and yes, we do have the net that pulls up from behind the seats. Thanks for clarifying which net was which.

ArtZ

Art
09-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Adam,

A folding cargo protection net came with the Versatility package on our '01 XC. It's configured to fit the 40/20/40 seats and is removable. :)

http://www.volvopartsworld.com/imgv70/v70nylonnet.JPG

Morvran
09-13-2004, 11:12 AM
The net that Art has a picture of is different than the one that comes with the Touring pkg on the '04 model. The '04 pulls out of back of the rear seats, just behind the headrests and locks into the ceiling slots. As mentioned, it does not come in 40/20/40 split versions. It also works when the seats are folded down.

The net that Art posted about is one that anyone can buy as an accessory. It doesn't fold into the seats, but it still serves the same purpose.

That other cargo net with the soccer balls is an optional accessory you have to buy separately.

Tom H
09-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey Tom,

How do I tell if I have the net? We have touring package, and ours came with the cargo cover that slides over the lower half of the cargo area to "hide" any stuff in there.

Since I'm not routinely transporting high-end electronics or large quantities of illegal narcotics in my XC70, I'd rather have the cargo net.

The dealer did a horrible job of going over the car, so I'm not sure how obvious the cargo net is. I have the 40/20/40 seats...

Thanks for the help Tom,

Adam

I'ts rare to find a salesperson that takes the time to understood the details of an automobile. Volvo can sometimes be vague about included options. If you read the brochure it says that the XC70 comes with 40/20/40 rear seats. I would think that the net that shown in Art's pic should be included. Mine has the 60/40 rear seat so it came with the net built into the seatback. I also have the same cargo area cover that you have so it shouldn't be an either/or situation. I don't think any of them come with the rear cargo hold down net. That has to be purchased as an option (see link below for decent prices). Double check under your cargo floorbaord to make sure it isn't folded up and stuffed in there somewhere. If it's not there, I would call your dealer and tell him it is missing. BTW Adam. I envy you for getting the 40/20/40 seats. They really open up your options and make the car much more flexible. I looked all over the chicagoland area but none of the dealers had any remaining inventory with those seats.

http://www.volvopartsworld.com/index.html

littlewaywelt
09-13-2004, 05:33 PM
These things obviously change from year to year and package to package, but we got the 60/40 seats with the pull out nets and we got the other fold up net thrown in the back. If you don't have the 3rd row seat, consider getting the foldup steel barrier, which imo is the best of all worlds. It has the stopping power, folds up out of the way when not in use and when in use interferes with vision to the rear far less.

TrueBlue
09-14-2004, 02:20 AM
The steel barrier has the disadvantage that it only "works" if the rear seats are up. It can't be moved to fit behind the front seats because the "grab handles" prevent it folding up (and make it v. difficult to fit anyway)

Unless somebody knows different?

Morvran
09-14-2004, 03:50 AM
Actually TrueBlue, I was wondering about that. Is it possible to fit those bars behind the front seats, and then when not needed I could just fit them into their regular slot and fold them up? I quickly realized, just by looking, that they wouldn't be able to fold up when placed behind the front seats, but I was hoping I'd still be able to put them there when needed.

TrueBlue
09-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Morvran, when fitting the bar into the normal (rear) position, you have to put the assembly in in the "up" position as the gas struts are in the closed position. Considerable rotational force is needed to lock the bars down (O.K. in use but not whe wrestling with the conponents)

You can't do that for the front seats because of the grab handles.

My quick assessment of the situation was that the frame locks down by virtue of the linkage being "over centre". I was too much of a coward to try to hold the bars down and lock the clips in at the same time. I had visions of torn headlining and much else.
I've only two hands and feel the job requires four. Pressing SWMBO into service might have caused a marital rift, if the darn thing decided to spring up during the process.

My need was not that essential so I gave up without thinking of creating a jig, or whatever, but it might be possible.

Morvran
09-14-2004, 12:03 PM
lol, I pictured the same thing before I even read what you wrote. Ok, then how about this: Can it be removed when it's in the down/locked position?

Here's what I'm envisioning: It's installed in the regular position and locked down. Then it's removed from that position, still locked down, and put into the other position. Would that work? Or would the thing snap shut once it was removed from the slots?

For all the things they've thought of for their cars, I can't believe they didn't make a gate that would work in both sets of slots. That's the best thing about the netting, but you apparantly can't install the netting in your car as an aftermarket accessory.

Tom H
09-14-2004, 05:07 PM
Morvan, Volvo does have an after market net but it has the same problem as the steel barrier. It only installs behind the passenger seat.

Glad you guys pointed this problem out as I was getting ready to order the steel baarrier. This design makes no sense at all. You have to give up over half of the cargo area if you want the protection and safer visibility offered by the steel barrier. Go figure. Fortunately, I do have the built-in net that works very well behind the front or rear seats.

Morvran
09-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I'm familiar with the after-market net...it's just not as good as the original.

TrueBlue
09-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Ok, then how about this: Can it be removed when it's in the down/locked position?
Probably not, as soon as yo upset the equlibrium - and unlocking the assembly from the side slots would do that - the bar snaps shut.

The only way to prevent that would be to make up a jig / clamp to hold it in the down position. As the struts are quite strong and jig would have to be quite solid.

I agree with other posts, the whole thing is short on utility for ordinary folk; the only time I need the net is when I'm using the whole loadspace.

Having said that I note the UK Police forces who use V70's and XC's carry a lot of kit and they use the bars, however the rear seats are left open for "prisoners".